Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:49 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:20 pm 
Newly registered Member

My son is thinking of taking an electrician course so that he will be able to work in domestic houses, ie, fitting extra sockets, lighting, rewire etc. Can anyone advise him what qualifications he needs and roughly how long will it take. I have been looking online but still not sure what he needs. Any advice would be much appreciated. He is 21 and wants to change his career.
Thanks in advance

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:32 pm 
Newly registered Member

https://www.tradeskills4u.co.uk/courses ... ler-course

Is this what he needs?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:37 pm 

I'd have a look at the various "career change" threads on here
There are some from a site search here for "career change"
https://bit.ly/2LslRk6

(Wrong search linked to earlier)

Last edited by Dave54 on Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

For this message the author Dave54 has received gratitude : jordancorey
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:38 pm 

jordancorey wrote:
https://www.tradeskills4u.co.uk/courses/domestic-installer-course

Is this what he needs?

You are kidding ?

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:41 pm 

:withstupid:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:43 pm 
Newly registered Member

wine~o wrote:
jordancorey wrote:

Is this what he needs?

You are kidding ?

Why ? is this no good?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:49 pm 

jordancorey wrote:
wine~o wrote:
jordancorey wrote:

Is this what he needs?

You are kidding ?

Why ? is this no good?

Those 6/8 week courses will happily take your pound notes for a useless qualification. A proper college will give you a good grounding in the basics for a few £ 100 . then you could look for an apprenticeship or proper training ... at 21 it'd deffo not to late, provided the right attitude and expectations.

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:53 pm 
Newly registered Member

Is this not a proper qualification then, I'm confused?? I am self-employed home maintenance and I have to turn down loads of work because it is electrical, its not that I am not capable its just I don't have the qualifications. If he passes this would he be able to work with me and he could do all the electrical stuff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:39 pm 

jordancorey wrote:
Is this not a proper qualification then, I'm confused?? I am self-employed home maintenance and I have to turn down loads of work because it is electrical, its not that I am not capable its just I don't have the qualifications. If he passes this would he be able to work with me and he could do all the electrical stuff
Not legally without the right qualifications. Part p, inspection and testing, 18th edition. No shortcut to achieve them.

Your lad would be better off doing a college course and working with a qualified spark to gain experience

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:52 pm 

jordancorey, just my 2p worth.

Any "instant become a qualified x" is there to make money ...........for the people running the course. Its vaguely like a driving test, you pass it, but you actually know "nothing" you need experience.

The only real option (as I see it) is for your son to find an electrician / company willing to take him on, and then send him to college. Another forum I am on have the same question, and a lot of "One man bands" will NOT take on an apprentice as they quite often fail to turn up when they should, and when they do are not interested, a bloke in a big company that does take them on says few last more than a couple of months because of the low money.

Can your son afford to work for low money for quite a few years? if he can't it's NOT for him :cb if he can then go for it, but its more than just connecting a few switches and sockets, there is a lot of hard work, chasing out cables, lifting floor boards, digging trenches (not often) not to mention calculations, and that is just for starters.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:29 pm 

At 21 he’s young enough to do a 4 year apprenticeship. If he’s serious then email or write to as many electrical companies as it’s about now they take on new apprentices.
That’s what’s wrong in the uk now regarding poor workmanship and guys that can only do half a job,so many go on these Mickey Mouse courses and learn next to nothing about a trade.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:55 am 

My dad left school 14 and 7 years to qualify, in my day it was leave school at 16 so 5 years to qualify, so today leaving school at 18 it has been reduced to 3 years.

To do this means more time in collage and less time on the job, so dads day it was night classes, my day it was day release, and today it is block release.

So it now comes down to if one can afford not to work while doing the course? My son got his firm to allow him to take his holidays and to work extra time during 3 days of the week to allow him to do day release. He also did night classes to get things like his 16th then 17th edition, plus inspecting and testing.

However now the courses are often only offered as block release.

Again the pay when I was an apprenticeship was rather low, today pay is fixed by laws, so even if some one is willing to work for a low wage to get an apprenticeship the firms can't do it so age limits have come in.

Collages now have ratings which go on their pass rates, so they will refuse to enter students for exams if the attendance is low, gone are the days when you could just sit the exam.

He may be lucky, my son was, he found a firm who employed semi-skilled people to wire houses, with inspectors checking their work, it was during a boom in house building and there was a shortage of electricians.

Today like me he would not want to work on houses, the pay is poor and very little job satisfaction, working with PLC's, and motor drives, you hardly worry about the BS7671 rule book, it is more down to using logic, the machine has stopped, why, look on the PC, Oh looks like that sensor is stopping it.

The collage course has to cover the lot, so you have to learn many things which you will never need wiring a house, however even in houses today we are getting some very technical stuff.

I learn how to program PLC's, and even SCARTA but my son has needed to learn how to use computers well above what I needed, he will get a phone call from work, he will look at his home PC, and direct people or alter things to get the machine working again without ever leaving the house. The world is changing and so are electrical skills.

I could look at a star/delta starter and without getting out books work out what was wrong, today every motor drive is different, you have to read the manual and follow the test procedure for that drive, in some ways better, as it is now expected that you read the instruction book.

As with most trades there are easy and hard bits, and also bits where you may not understand the risks, I remember seeing a joiner (chippy we called them) get it wrong, he had it seems never done shuttering before, and when the concrete was poured it failed. It's the same with electrics, you can work as an electrician for 20 years, then find a job which takes you back to apprenticeship training.

Although often it is trying to work out what some one has done. I remember a machine going wrong, I wondered if due to interference, so as safety measure banned mobile phones on site, the problem got worse not better, I was pulling my hair out looking for the fault, then found it, when I banned the mobiles so he would not get caught with it, an operator was hiding it in an electric panel, it was the mobiles causing problem after all.

It's no good saying I don't want to learn that bit of being an electrician, you will need it, seen where the fan in a central heating boiler messed up the thermostat. It's all part of being an electrician.

What you need is a mentor, some one you can phone and say I'm stuck any ideas. So in the main you want a firm who employs electricians so when it goes wrong, and it will, you have some one to talk to, OK my son was a sole trader for a time, be he had me, again when I started I had a father and father-in-law also in the trade.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:01 pm 

Basically it comes down to the difference between a theoretical classroom situation and a real life situation.

For any Harry Potter fans... It's the difference between learning the theory of defence against the dark arts and actually facing The death eaters.... :hiding:

Verwood Handyman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:24 pm 
Approved Electrician

ericmark wrote:
My dad left school 14 and 7 years to qualify, in my day it was leave school at 16 so 5 years to qualify, so today leaving school at 18 it has been reduced to 3 years.

You can leave school at 15 on the last Friday of June if you are going to be 16 before the end of the summer holidays and have an electrical apprenticeship lined up.

And the course is 4 years.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:23 pm 

OnlyMe wrote:
ericmark wrote:

You can leave school at 15 on the last Friday of June if you are going to be 16 before the end of the summer holidays and have an electrical apprenticeship lined up.

And the course is 4 years.

Agreed! I don’t know where people get this idea that a proper citb apprenticeship whether you’re a brickie,plasterer,chippie,sparky,plumber or deccy can be condensed into a few months!!!