DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:50 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:34 pm 
Newly registered Member

I've been reading so many conflicting opinions on this I thought it was about time to ask directly.

The situation: 1880s end terrace has a historic loft conversion with lath and plaster ceiling ONLY. Obviously this needs insulating properly.
Roof has a sound but old tar based sheeting under the slates. Ridge tiles, some chimney flashing and verge need sorting out anyway. There are some damp issues in the gable wall partly due to rotten verge partly some ground level issues.

So firstly I'm inclined to consider a dry vent ridge system since I need a roofer to reseat the ridge anyway and I don't want to add any further damp issues to the property. This is if I go the Celotex route and leave a ventilation gap. Any comments on this? Is a dry vent ridge overkill?

Then I was made aware of spray foam systems. These come with some great claims, especially Icynene, but there are some pretty problematic (but unsubstantiated) comments about timbers not being able to breathe, trapped condensation, rot etc. Does anyone have any experience of this? More in depth understanding of how a BONDED insulation can be affected by condensation? Or even technical comparison links to other sites? And of course cost comparison?

It's a small loft already so losing the 50mm airgap would be nice but I don't want to create more damp issues in an already damp house...

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:19 pm 
Pro Carpenter

do NOT use spray foam
you get a leak you will not know about it as its trapped between the timber and the foam causing the timber to get wet and it may start to rot as it cannot escape

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:31 pm 
Newly registered Member

Of course! I hadn't even thought of actual leaks, only condensation. I have damp tunnel vision because of the other damp issues...

Sounds like a no brainer then.

Any thoughts on a dry vent ridge?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:03 am 

spray insulation is the worlds worst invention ever. even worse than psycopathic women.

if you saw in a years time or so that you had a broken slate/tile and went up to swap them theyre a total and utter bitch to get them out.

and obv as big al says if theres a leak youd not find it