DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:55 pm

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Solar PV
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:57 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi everyone,

Now I know this is not strictly DIY, but was hoping some people will have some experience of this on here.

We are thinking of having solar PV installed on our property and have had a couple of quotes. We have the roof space to have the maximum 4kWp installed, but its on the west face.

We have been quoted £20500 from Ploughcroft solar for Sanyo Hybrid Panels supplied and fitted including VAT. Does anyone have any dealings with this company?

Trying to get a few other quotes from other companies for a similar setup. Do people think this is a good price? I've seen the panels on the net for £15000 for the amount they quoted, so I don't think its such a bad price. We are going to get some extra lending on our mortgage to pay for this, so wanting a good quick return on the investment, meaning the hybrid's are probably the best way to go.

What are other peoples earnings on their PV systems?

Thanks for any input, all very confusing at to what system will suit us best, and pay the money back the quickest! :-)

Ta
Mike

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Delicious
 Post subject: Re: Solar PV
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:11 pm 

Sorry? A quick return on the investment?

You will NEVER get a return on the 'investment'. Firstly the maximum rated output of the panels is based on full sunlight striking the panels at 90 degrees (i.e. vertically) and continuously. Have you got any written guarantee of the power output? Thought not.

Unless you live in some God forsaken desert with constant sunlight you'll be lucky to see an average of 20% efficiency on the quoted output over a lengthy period. The UK Met Office quote 1440 hours annual average sunlight in the UK - ANNUAL AVERAGE!

Remember also that you will have to USE some of this power yourself before selling whatever remains to the utilities. Solar panels also have a limited lifespan - some quote as few as 5 to 10 years - with the efficiency falling off all the time. Have you got any guarantee for the lifespan of the panels?

Solar panels will not make you any money. They COST! Not that the distributors/retailers will admit this of course......

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:42 pm 

PhotoVoltaic does not work sufficiently to make it a viable consideration, let alone chucking £20k at it :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

For that sort of money you should be looking at renewable energy to heat the house, Ground source/air source heat pumps.

As for plan A if you have a brain cell still thinking about the idea, shoot it. :thumbright:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:44 pm 

:withstupid: sorry but when I say that I mean there is no payback..it will cost you

if you want to do it for ecological reasons do it...for financial gain.NO

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:01 pm 

Yes wine~o it will cost big time, in fact the interest on the investment will be more than the saving, the only little glimmer of hope is it does add value to the property, so you should be able to recoup some of the loss.

My advice to anyone considering Solar PV is DON'T

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:40 pm 

Facing west is also a big downer, maximum output limited to late afternoon. will the panels be adjustable 45 degrees from vertical, to 15 degrees in the winter. But like the others all say, spend your money on insulation, and efficient heating and ventilation. PV only makes sense if there is no other source of electricity.

Directmail scam information site: http://astrocat.proboards.com/index.cgi?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:33 am 
Deceased 21-10-2011 R.I.P

I guess the lads haven't heard of the feed-in tariffs that pay you for generating "green" electricity. These tariffs subsidise PV generation.

First you get paid 36.1 p/kWh for all the electricity you generate, including that which you use yourself. Moreover, this incentive (bribe?) is index linked with RPI and is paid tax free. On top of that you get an extra 3p/kWh for all the electricity you export to the grid. These payments are guaranteed for 25 years.

I'm sure the lads will be overjoyed to learn that the source of this subsidy is other consumers, including them. That subsidy is, in effect, only available to someone who has £20k to spare so must be well-off and is paid by the poorest consumer. But please don't think I'm getting at Mikegraham, he's just taking legitimate advantage of an investment opportunity. It's the previous Labour government that's to blame. They got their just desserts (a boot in the arse) but this sort of thing hasn't died with them (yet).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:46 am 

So in your expert opinion Stoday what would you estimate the return would be.

4KWp on a west facing roof. £2-300 quid a year if your lucky.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:31 am 
Deceased 21-10-2011 R.I.P

£990 a year.

Go here to find a calculator Click

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:43 am 

So where am I going wrong.

Attachments:
PV Energy.jpg
PV Energy.jpg [ 177.71 KiB | Viewed 3039 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:07 pm 

Even at £990/year you're looking at a 20 year investment return before making a profit :shock:

Quote:
First you get paid 36.1 p/kWh for all the electricity you generate, including that which you use yourself. Moreover, this incentive (bribe?) is index linked with RPI and is paid tax free. On top of that you get an extra 3p/kWh for all the electricity you export to the grid. These payments are guaranteed for 25 years.

got a link to those 'intersting' facts???? :thumbright:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:17 pm 

And the batteries and Inverter are only good for 5years ish.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:48 pm 
Newly registered Member

I know there has been a load of bad hype about Solar PV, but a lot has changed recently.

We are looking at a Grid connected sytem, i.e. no batteries, solar panels are good for 50years+ and have been tested for this long in germany (Sanyo panels).

The Feed in tarriff is 41.3p per kWh for retrofit systems below 4kW, then 3p per kW exported. A quick calculation on the PVWatts site shows £1300 a year, energysavingtrust calculator shows £1400 a year, so its definetely worth it in my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:02 pm 

MikeGrahamT21 wrote:
solar panels are good for 50years+ and have been tested for this long in germany (Sanyo panels).

The Feed in tarriff is 41.3p per kWh for retrofit systems below 4kW, then 3p per kW exported. A quick calculation on the PVWatts site shows £1300 a year, energysavingtrust calculator shows £1400 a year, so its definetely worth it in my opinion.

I find that very hard to believe. Whatever you 'think' you'll get from the panels derate it by at least 20% to avoid disappointment.

Either way, even at £1400/year you will take nearly 15 years to recoup your costs - assuming everything continues to work for that length of time. IMHO the technology is too 'new' and untried to be worth the risk. Obviously the government see it this way too given the ridiculous amount of subsidy awarded to such schemes.

When these subsidies become common knowledge (and I'm inclined to go the to press about it as it's a blatant tax on the poor) do you think they'll be avaialbel for much longer?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:10 pm 

30-35years the average anticipated life of the panels. and that's not without maintenance.

I wouldn't expect anymore than 50% of you figures, and less after the first 10years.