DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:00 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:54 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi All,

I'm having a nightmare trying to find solid internal doors like this

http://www.doordeals.co.uk/products/internal-doors/solid-internal-doors/colonist-6-panel-smooth.aspx

Despite goig tot he solid door section, these are hollow-core, the problem I have is the exisiting frames will only fit 1950mm doors not the standard 1981mm height. I know you can't trim much off and 30mm seems to fall outside most trimmable allowances on all the doors Ive looked at, so instead of going for semi-solid core doors(balance of cost/sound proofing etc..) am I right in thinking I will need solid-core doors as these can be trimmed by the required 30mm?

For the life of me I can't find white solid-core 6 panel internal doors(like the one above), I'm in Manchester if anyone can recommend a supplier/joiner etc (hope it's okj to ask)

Hope someone can help.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:01 pm 

If it's not a fire door you need then you can trim as much as you like from the bottom.

With a hollow door the bottom rail is only about 20 to 25 mm thick so taking off 30mm will remove the bottom rail.

Any decent carpenter will be able to re-instate the bottom rail, and it shouldn't be beyond the capabilities of a diy-er.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:41 pm 
Newly registered Member

ayjay wrote:
If it's not a fire door you need then you can trim as much as you like from the bottom.

With a hollow door the bottom rail is only about 20 to 25 mm thick so taking off 30mm will remove the bottom rail.

Any decent carpenter will be able to re-instate the bottom rail, and it shouldn't be beyond the capabilities of a diy-er.

That's great thank you, I was told that removing too much would damage the botton and would be too expensive to add back on, despite reading otherwise(i.e what you said) guess I haven't found a good joiner yet!