DIY Forum

Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:08 pm

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:35 pm 
Newly registered Member

I am having a problem with my upstairs sockets that I'm hoping I may get some advice/ideas on what could be causing the issue. I'll try explain the circumstances/issues as best possible...

All sockets had been working fine up until yesterday with no issues noted.
Also to note - nothing else is plugged in to any socket upstairs.

Plugged a vacuum cleaner in an upstairs bedroom socket and it did not work - I thought the vacuum must have been done so I got a different vacuum cleaner I had and plugged it in.. also not switching on.

Unlikely that both vacuum cleaners stopped working at same time so I tried them in sockets in 2 separate bedrooms upstairs and still didn't switch on - however, I notice a quiet buzz/hum from vacuum cleaners (both) when switching on.
I tried the vacuum cleaners in a downstairs socket and they work fine.

I then brought a small radio upstairs and plugged in and works as it should.

I left the radio on upstairs and pulled the fuses until it turned off so I knew which 30A fuse was linked to those circuits - It's an old looking wired fuse but looked to be ok as far as I could see.
I switched the vacuum on again downstairs and pulled the next 30A fuse (this one a fuse cartridge) which turned it off so I knew which one served the downstairs.

I switched the fuses (as I knew downstairs one was ok) to see if it would make a difference but no change.

I am in the midst of renovating this house so all plug sockets have been loosened and have been pulled in/out to certain degrees while painting so maybe it's possible a connection has come loose somewhere - could this be the cause of the symptoms I'm describing?

I have bought new switch plates for the whole house so I shall replace them and make sure all wires are fixed in tight and secure.

One last thing to note is that I noticed a socket downstairs had a loose neutral wire which I didn't connect back up again last night due to it being dark so couldn't turn the mains off and have no light.

Thanks in advanced for any help!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Delicious
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:47 pm 
Pro Carpenter

could be a bad connection causing resistance
can you locate the source off the buzz remove the connected fuse and have a look checking for loose or discoloured wires

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:51 pm 

Definitely a loose wire and the removal of the socket plates is a big clue to that.

They are wired in a loop (or in series) so a loose connection at the FIRST one will stop all the others working properly. If you knew where the ring main came into that floor you could check the 'first' socket and that's where the fault is likely to be. Else keep checking!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:16 pm 

Any large vibrations or banging in the house ?, its the whole circuit, I would be checking the terminal inside the consumer unit for that circuit - electric off, pull the fuse, undo the screw and remove the carrier check the screws are tight and the metal tabs aren't spread apart too much

Is it a old brown bakelite wylex fuse board (main switch on the right) ?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:34 pm 

It would seem you have two independent faults, as a ring is as the name says a ring so two feeds, so for it to fail there are two faults, you may find one by fiddling around but unlikely to find both and is second fault not found you could over load cables, so it's time to call an electrician.

For this message the author ericmark has received gratitude : Dave54
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:44 pm 

ericmark wrote:
It would seem you have two independent faults, as a ring is as the name says a ring so two feeds, so for it to fail there are two faults, you may find one by fiddling around but unlikely to find both and is second fault not found you could over load cables, so it's time to call an electrician.

Pretty well what I thought Eric. Could be a long standing fault somewhere, or even a bad installation, which has now had a second fault introduced by moving the sockets / associated wiring.
I've also seen blown rewireable and HRC fuses which would carry enough current to light neons, and so possibly run some small electronics.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:26 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks for all the input everyone - when I got home this evening I reconnected the neutral wires in the downstairs living room up and everything is working perfect again! Must have been imbalanced load with neutral going out but not back..