DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:13 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Sockets, 2P or not 2P
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:58 pm 

I need to upgrade a load of old fittings...

Double sockets...
Double pole and single pole both available, I understand the difference, but in what circumastances would you use each type?

Bedroom ones will most likely end up beiing USB types...

I imagine 2p for kitchens...1p anywhere else?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:20 pm 

If you install double pole you need never worry about them again. There is also not that much difference in cost.
As for ones with USB charger I wouldn't bother, as they cost 5 times as much as a normal twin socket, and when the USB charger fails you have to change the whole socket. You can get a plug in USB charger for around £5

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:01 pm 

Coincidentally I have two usb sockets which have had very little use as either sockets or chargers, and one of them has packed up on the usb side. Due to the little use, I'm not inclined to replace it with this type.

For this message the author arco_iris has received gratitude : someone-else
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:45 pm 

Ill do them all 2p then. :thumbright:

Regarding the USB ones, are they really that bad? Even the MK ones?
It is a neat solution though- was only going to do them in bedrooms where you always want the usb charger....save using them trailing sockets..
No matter how many chargers we seem to have, its never enough, they seem to go to friends houses, work, uni....if they are attached to the wall the important ones are always there.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:50 pm 

It seems that the main problem with the usb chargers (in sockets) is the heat dissipation, they are after all in a sealed box with no air circulation, so yes, its quite common for them to fail, the question is when.
Also bear in mind they are on 24 / 7 so even when not charging they will still get "warm"

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:28 am 

My USB chargers don't seem to get warm, I can see if the occupants of the house only plug a charger in when required then that may be better than having one always active, however in my house there are always phones, tablets, and cameras, and even AA cell chargers which seem to be always plugged in.

Having seen cheap chargers brake apart and also non compliant as to size and finger protection, I feel a lot happier with the type built into sockets, also it actually frees up sockets, 6 USB in wife's bedroom, two in living room, two on landing, six in other bedroom, there are items like the central heating hub plugged in which of course I never want not to be powered in the winter.

I have a routine of plugging in when I get home so always charged when I go out, before the sockets it was common to find some one had unplugged my phone to plug in theirs. It was also a problem in that some chargers had higher output to others and so often a phone would be plugged into a low output charger and was not charged when wanted.

I suppose to some extent still have different outputs, some are 2.1 amp per pair, others 3.1 amp per pair, but even at 2.1 amp per pair they charge even Ipads without a problem if using correct leads. I have seen some through chargers in Asda and B&Q where you don't lose a socket when using charger, Masterplug in B&Q which one would think good make, but read the spec and it gives out 500 mA per outlet, I see others advertised as suitable for Smart Phone or Tablet with just 1 amp output. OK the 2.1 amp is shared between two outlets, but it is easy enough to ensure only one high input device plugged into each pair.

As to double pole switching on sockets, well don't even need a switch, I don't every seem to see sockets switched off, best isolation is to unplug, so why bother with double pole switches? With FCU yes double pole switch, but with a socket can't see the point.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:56 pm 
Approved Electrician

someone-else wrote:
If you install double pole you need never worry about them again. There is also not that much difference in cost.
As for ones with USB charger I wouldn't bother, as they cost 5 times as much as a normal twin socket, and when the USB charger fails you have to change the whole socket. You can get a plug in USB charger for around £5

So what worries you about the single pole switched ones then?

BTW a good quality 2g socket with a USB outlet is about £10.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:42 pm 

Having looked again at the Screwfix range of sockets, I note the sockets with 3.1 amp per pair of USB outlets are single pole switched where those with 2.1 amp per pair can be got as double pole switched.

Now personally if I want to isolate I unplug, and the switch to my mind is only there to reduce arcing when removing the plug, however this is personal so the point is what is the real difference between 2.1 amp and 3.1 amp.

What I found is the USB lead is important, with a 3.1 amp USB outlet we found the phone was charging quicker from the satellite than the USB outlet, simply because it was a cheap pound land lead in the socket and my double plug hard drive lead in the satellite box.

Using a better quality lead the charging time has been much reduced. However I have no way to measure current from a USB socket, so in real terms not a clue if the 3.1 amp sockets are actually charging phones and tablets any quicker than a 2.1 amp outlet.

With 2.1 amp outlet sockets you can get a 4.2 amp 4 USB socket outlet with 2.1 amp per pair. (no switches) Or 3 USB with 3.1 amp shared between 3 sockets. (Single pole switches) I read all the spec on USB 1, 2 and 3 and different leads and it is as clear as mud.