DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIRECTORY | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:18 pm

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:16 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi, wondered if anyone can help me

I have a SMEG (model no DW1612C if thats any help, SN 0430067 243) fan assisted built in single oven, and it wont heat up.

Had a funny burning smell the last few times I used it (same smell as when you use oven cleaner and turn on the oven for the first couple of times afterwards). The light inside the oven still works, the fan works, but the thermostat light next to the temp light isnt working any more. Checked all usual stuff to make sure its not on timer etc and all that is ok. Checked all different settings - ie grill, oven etc and none of it is working, just the light and the fan so no heat whatsoever.

Is this likely to be the thermosat or something else? When its working ok, you hear the thermostat "click" when you turn it on and light comes on, when it reaches right temp it "clicks" off and light goes off. Not getting any light come on at all and no click sound at all.

Also if it is the thermostat, any idea how much a new one is, and how easy it is to fit? Moving house in about 3 weeks so dont want to buy a new oven if I can help it!

Thanks for any help....

Cheers
Emma

You may not be able to see the full post including pictures unless you register or log in

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:19 am 
Good morning Emma.
I need to ask a few questions before I can give you a confirmed answer,

1st when you turn the thermostat does the oven light should come on and the fan motor should be running, could you please confirm that for me.

The 2nd one is a technical question do not attempt this unless you are a qualified electrician,( most people know an electrician that they could butter up)
You need to check the thermostat has 240 volts going into it I will enclose a pictureof one.
if there is no voltage going to the thermostat then this fault could be the time or a cutout switch
if there is Voltage going into the thermostat but not coming out when set to a temperature then this looks like it's the thermostat,

we will be happy to help on the part when we know which it is paul
http://www.apart4u.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:24 am 
Newly registered Member

Paul

Thanks for your response. I can turn the light on and the fan on seperately (feature of the oven) so I know its not either of those. Have just double checked to be sure and have to turn the knob round to either grill, oven, oven&fan etc so they all work, its just the thermostat light that isnt coming on when I turn it to whatever temp I want.

I'll get my partner to put the multi-meter on the thermostat to see if there is power going into the thermostat, so we can work out what it is.

Do you have a rough estimate of prices for a thermostat? or also cutout switch? I am just wondering wether the cost of replacing thermostat / cutout switch is anywhere near the same cost as a new oven.

Many thanks for your help...

:-)