DIY Forum

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIRECTORY | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:17 am
Drainage online 

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:10 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi everyone, wondering if you can help me :-)

I have a couple of problems with damp in my master bedroom but for the life of me I can't figure out an exact cause. I'm split them up:

1) A small wet patch at the base of two external walls where they meet. It rises about 9 inches from the floor and spans about 3 inches either side. I took a look outside and there is a rainwater drain that looks like it's overflowing and coming down the walls (although not on the wall that seems to get the most damp) and the damp proof course looks to have been moved up a brick part way into the wall from the corner with the mortar breaking away.

Now normally I would but all this together and say the damp proof course is breached and the rainwater overflowing is penertraing the wall and seeping in through the crumbling mortar. But there is another problem :-)

2) I get a line of moisutre on the floor about 2 inches deep away from one of the external walls (and not the other). The floor is exposed vinyl tiles on a concrete base (carpet up while renovating) and the moisture spans the length of the wall. This mositure doesn't always appear and goes away quickly when the heat is on. The room is the coldest in the house so I assumed it was condensation, but the windows (newly installed double glazing) don't have significant amounts of moisture on them.

So are these problems both penertrating damp, or is the corner penertrating damp and the other something else? Could it just be condensation?

A family member in the trade also advised it might be blockages in the cavity wall breaching the outer and inner layers, but I don't have this problem anywhere else in the house. How easy is it to clear cavity walls and is it expensive (I don't really want to pay heaps for something that might not be a problem).

I am thinking of having cavity wall insulation done to heat the rooms up so do you think that would solve it?

Any advice would be great as I don't want to keep decorating or lay carpet if the problem lies somewhere else.

Thanks
Chris

You may not be able to see the full post including pictures unless you register or log in

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:35 pm 

sounds like it could be a bridging proplem...
if its rendered to the floor behind the skirting board or externally the damp will 'bridge' the dpc causing what appears to be rising damp, bridging onto a concrete floor is common too, badly fitted damp proof membrane or non existing dpm...
pictures would help, preferably with skirting removed if possible..
internally and externally showing ground levels and leaky drainpipe...