DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:21 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:26 pm 
Newly registered Member

Just installing a new built under single oven and it is sitting too low in the unit.

Looks like it needs to raise up about 6-7 mm.

What can I use to raise it up? There was nothing supplied to do it. Will a couple of strips of 6mm ply be OK?

Also the new oven is very very close to touching the connection unit on the wall. Is it going to be a problem?

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:37 pm 

An oven carcase is designed so if there is a power cut there is enough ventilation to ensure it does not overheat with the recommended range of ovens. When mothers kitchen was fitted the fitters had 2 inches to play with, too high and mother could not see the grill, too low and the door would catch on the arm rests of the wheel chair and she would not be able to open the door. There were built in adjustments to allow the oven to be held so there was both ventilation above and below. The oven fitted into a cradle holding it so there was this required air gap.

From what you are saying it would seem either something missing or the carcase is not designed for that oven. While the oven has power there is really not a problem, the fans keep it cool, it is only with a power failure while the oven is in use when the problem arises, so all you can do is follow instructions as if it does over heat then too late. And nothing you can do at that point to correct it.

Idea is if 2 hours into cooking the Christmas Turkey with 2 hours left to go, you get a power cut, then it will fail safe.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:49 pm 
Newly registered Member

Well I raised it up to the correct height but when it is pushed into the carcass, the back of the oven is touching the cooker connection unit. There is not much space there at all. Can I move this outlet into the adjacent carcass and cut a dry lining box into the rear of the carcass? Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:02 am 

Can't answer, as said cooling is important so cutting holes may affect how it works, you need to either phone manufactures or use some common sense and decide if alterations is likely to affect cooling or not.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:01 pm 

pompeyjim wrote:
Well I raised it up to the correct height but when it is pushed into the carcass, the back of the oven is touching the cooker connection unit. There is not much space there at all. Can I move this outlet into the adjacent carcass and cut a dry lining box into the rear of the carcass? Cheers

Bear in mind permitted zones for the wiring.

Normally the void at the back of the oven is sufficient a gap for ventilation. exceptions that I've come across are IKea and errmmm Ikea.

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/