DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:05 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:49 pm 

Traffic light on roundabouts must have been designed by females or men of dubious persuassion - I mean they're like soft furnishing i.e. "lets spend £1,000's on a nice sofa (roundabout) then buy a £5 throw (traffic lights) to cover it up"..... I mean.... :wtf:

Or curtains that 'pool' - in other words spend £100's on some fabric to 'wipe the floor with' :roll:
yes, the missus is winding me up...... :lol:

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:14 pm 
Troll Headbutter

wine~o wrote:
That looks a lot like Swindon....

EDIT... Thought so this is Hemel Hempstead

My old head office used to be in Hemel Hempstead (Maylands). I used to laugh when we went over the magic roundabout. SO many totally baffled people going the wrong way!

Total carnage!

BG

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:20 pm 

BillyGoat wrote:
wine~o wrote:

My old head office used to be in Hemel Hempstead (Maylands). I used to laugh when we went over the magic roundabout. SO many totally baffled people going the wrong way!

Total carnage!

BG

Round here most people are baffled by even the simplest of roundabouts..... :shock:

Or junctions... or even which side of the road is the left....

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:25 pm 
Troll Headbutter

wine~o wrote:
BillyGoat wrote:
wine~o wrote:

Total carnage!

BG

Round here most people are baffled by even the simplest of roundabouts..... :shock:

I noticed when I was down your neck of the woods a few weeks ago. I'm still chuckling about a school I ran past......the sign said "School of english". I mean, if you can't even get the sign correct, what hope do the students have?????

BG

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:54 pm 

from 3.34 ish for some sh1te roundabout driving...

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:25 am 
Newly registered Member

thescruff wrote:
If you're going around a roundabout its essential in most cases to indicate when you intend to turn off it. Or are you saying the advanced way is to just cut across anyone that has an idea to undertake you.

Personally I think if you indicate it gives anyone joining the roundabout prior notice to make their move. :roll:

Don't get that sorry

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:30 am 

sun lover wrote:
thescruff wrote:
If you're going around a roundabout its essential in most cases to indicate when you intend to turn off it. Or are you saying the advanced way is to just cut across anyone that has an idea to undertake you.

Personally I think if you indicate it gives anyone joining the roundabout prior notice to make their move. :roll:

Don't get that sorry

Which bit don't you get and I'll explain it for you.

Indicating tells the drivers behind what you intend to do. simples

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:21 pm 

wine~o wrote:
BillyGoat wrote:
wine~o wrote:

Total carnage!

BG

It gets worse as you get further down towards Cornwall. Must be a South West thing.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:57 pm 

thescruff wrote:
sun lover wrote:
thescruff wrote:

Don't get that sorry

Which bit don't you get and I'll explain it for you.

Indicating tells the drivers behind what you intend to do. simples

:scratch: :scratch:

You seem to be arguing and agreeing with the OP..

Verwood Handyman

For this message the author wine~o has received gratitude : sun lover
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:23 pm 

sun lover wrote:
Got to have a rant.............why but why do drivers approach a roundabout giving a right signal when they want to go straight over ??????? they approach giving a right signal then when they get onto the roundabout they give a left signal to carry on :dunno: I have seen all kinds of drivers do this...... car drivers/ bus drivers/ taxies/lorry drivers/. This practise could be very dangerous if you are the one behind and go to pass thinking they are turning right then find they are coming back across your path on the road ahead. I know this is wrong and bad driving. I used to be a bus/coach driver (21 years) and took pride in my driving and have awards and medals to show for it. Then I was a ADI (approved driving instructor) and owned my own driving school for ten years. Its a pity they do not put some things about driving on TV like they used to, safety things in with the adds. The correct way is to approach with NO signal THEN as you are passing the left turn off (first turn off) you give the signal left and take the road ahead. ::b Grrrrr

In all fairness wine~o I'm not sure what the OP is saying

You should indicate to go round the roundabout when your going past exits, then indicate to come off at your exit. Everyone behind knows what you're doing as does anyone waiting to get on the merry go round.

For this message the author thescruff has received thanks - 2: sun lover, tcm
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:31 pm 

BillyGoat wrote:
wine~o wrote:

Total carnage!

BG

That Island or one very much like it featured on a tv program a little while ago and it was said that there are very few accidents principally because it's so confusing drivers slow right down and crawl round.
While we are on about traffic lights I'll mention one thing that irritates me. Take a regular junction with lights , but those lights have failed. Why so much confusion? There's a rule in this country about giving way to the right so why isn't a junction with failed lights not treated as an island ?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:53 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi thescruff, we seem to be saying the same thing in a roundabout (sorry) way !! lol. What I am saying is..........lets take a simple ordinary roundabout and you intend to go straight over, you would approach with no signal THEN, as you say, when you are level with the first exit on your left you give the signal left to come off at the road ahead (the second exit) this would be the only signal given. Others can see what I am saying so I hope I have made myself clear. The only time you would move to the right (if going straight over) is if the lanes indicated it OR if you where turning right. As I said at the beginning I was a driving instructor for ten years so do have some idea of the highway code and the driving test. Mind you people do not seem to take the same pride in their driving today as they used to and there are some good points made here in posts. We all are not perfect and we all make mistakes.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:11 am 

I indicate whenever I intend to change lanes be it a motorway or a roundabout unless I'm pre-occupied or forget :lol:

Take the mway roundabout on the a46 for example.

You want the 3rd exit, so on the appoach you move into the outside lane. when the lights change you need the 3rd lane on the roundabout, after the 1st exit you can stay in the 3rd lane or move to the 2nd, when the lights change after the 2nd exit you need the 1st or second lane, when the lights change you can take the 3rd exit but cars are still coming up the inside not intending to take the exit.

As I said all easy when you know what lane you should be in blah blah blah, but how many think holiday maker or haven't a clue where's going, or even God forbit driving with a sat-nav and not looking where hes going

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:41 am 
Newly registered Member

Thanks all for your posts, merry Christmas and safe driving which ever- way you do it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:25 am 

kellys_eye wrote:
It's the left hand lane to turn left or go straight on.

It's the right hand lane to turn right or do a u-turn.

You should indicate if you are going left or right.

This used to be broadcast as a public information film on TV many years ago.

I'd suggest that there are more collisons at roundabouts than at any junction in the country - all because people are now 'allowed' to do what they want provided they indicate their intentions. And most of those would be by foreign drivers who don't understand.

That's the way I was taught KE but I think new drivers are taught to indicate right when going straight on. I agree it's bloody annoying.

For this message the author Argyll has received gratitude : sun lover

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]