DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:31 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:12 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi all,

We are in the process of buying a new house, and part of the criteria was that I have a garage / workshop space.

The house is a 1979 semi, with a detatched garage at the end of the drive, which runs past the side of the house.

The drive is some 23 meters long, allowing for a side extension within permitted development.
My only sticking point is that the garage is approximately 3.3m from the rear wall of the house, meaning that the 3m limit for attached houses is blown if I extend to join up with the existing garage.
One thing I can't find are the rules on extending garages.

Would an acceptible loophole be to extend the garage forward a foot or more, bringing it within 3m of the house, waiting a month, and then building the extension?!
The extension will be timber frame, but the garage extension would have to be brick to match the existing garage?

Thoughts on a postcard please!
Tom.

Attachments:
New project 170618200125.png
New project 170618200125.png [ 163.15 KiB | Viewed 894 times ]
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:32 pm 

If the extension you propose is on the side of your house, then PD rules allow up to half the house width.

I always recomnend applying for a certificate of lawfulness if you want to build under PD. Its the only way to know for sure you have permission.

It avoids either errors in interpreting pd rules and whether the house has PD rights in place.

If what you want doesnt fit within pd rights why not apply for planning?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:13 pm 
Newly registered Member

Notch, thanks for the reply.

Firstly, I have already spoken the local planning office, and have it in writing that all pd rights remain unrestricted at that address.
With regards to applying for planning - it just seems like a huge pain in the bum. I can happily build it myself to my own plans, but having to provide plans to satisfy the planning office is likely to see me hiring an architect to provide something compliant. I will also have to go through building control as it is, which was not something i had forseen (the original plan was to find somewhere with a big enough garden to build it as an exempt outbuilding).
Also it will be a woodworking workshop, and going through planning gives the neighbours a say. Might not be a problem of course, but I was just hoping to avoid that altogether.
My budget of ~5k seems far less feasible with architects to pay and BC o satisfy. ::b

Also with regards to the width - the 2.8m on the drawing is all we have as that is up to the neighbours fence!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:41 pm 
Newly registered Member

Just FYI for anyone coming across this thread in the future:
This is not an acceptible way to extend the garage.
Also building control plans have to be WAY more detailed than planning permission plans.
The upshot of this situation was that because BC gets involved, footings were required for the extension. Because the footings were within 3m (actually 30cm) of the next door house, a party wall agreement was needed. After a good long chat with a respected local builder, it transpired that my simple, safe, £5k project necessitated spending a MINIMUM of £20k to tick boxes ::b . As such we have backed out of the house purchase. Fortunately we have found somewhere else with a detatched double garage that i can double in size without and permissions at all :cheers: