DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:11 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:35 pm 
Newly registered Member

Apologies if this is not the correct board (please advise if another board would be more appropriate) but I am after some advice as to whether or not to get the local buiding regulations guy involved in some work currently being carried out at my house.
6 weeks ago we had a tradesman start work on our 3 bed semi that involved removing an old central heating system and associated pipework and to rewire the whole house top to bottom, originally we were quoted up to 5 days to complete the heating side of things and then around a week for the rewire. The tradesman was found via the "Rated" people website and is registered with both OFTEC and NICEIC which means he can self certificate his work. My issue is that I am not confident with the quality of work that has been carried out so far, we are not at the house on a daily basis managing only to visit at the weekend and it appears having spoken to neighbours that work is only being undertaken a few hours here and there and not everyday. Our tradesman has explained he is busy on other jobs so rarely visits site himself, it seems he is sub-contracting out some of the work and using his young apprentences as and when. Most of the old pipework that should have been removed is still in situ and the chases for the new cables and sockets have been knocked out using an SDS drill without cutting either side of the new channel first causing considerable damage to the surrounding plaster. Most of the chases have now been filled but the workmanship is so poor that the filling bulges out over the existing plaster. One wall was so bad that he had a plasterer come in to skim the whole wall but the quality of that work is so bad I'm not conviced it was a professional plasterer that did the work, the wall is rippled and bumpy, it's a though he was on a baot whilst trying to skim the wall at the same time. If we arrange to meet on-site he never turns up as he is "busy" on another job. He comes across as a nice guy and has accepted my concerns but has yet to finish off the job or put right the items mentioned. I don't want to start getting other people involved if I can help it but I am concerned that the work has been rushed and may not conform to current standards and as he can just sign it all off and there is no one else who needs to check and confirm all is OK. If I get building regs involved and they are not happy with what they find I could end up waiting months for the work to be rectified, having seen what work has been carried out so far and how long it's taking I'm not sure I could cope with more delays.

All advice is welcome and thank you for sticking with a rather long post

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:48 pm 

You’ll need to post some pictures up. Also,you didn’t go for the cheapest quote did you?
Rated people and those kind of sites are of no indication how good a tradesman you’ll get,in fact I don’t know any tradesmen myself on such sites.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:15 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi Stevie

No the quote certainly wasn't the cheapest, I have managed to quickly find 2 examples to show the type of work I'm on about although it may not really give a full picture

Attachment:
File comment: Damage caused whilst chasing in a new socket on the wall to the left of this picture outside in the hallway
IMG-20171019-WA0006.jpg
IMG-20171019-WA0006.jpg [ 171.82 KiB | Viewed 400 times ]

Attachments:
File comment: Chasing damage
IMG-20171019-WA0005.jpg
IMG-20171019-WA0005.jpg [ 201.61 KiB | Viewed 400 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:22 pm 

On the basis of those two photos then alarm bells are ringing for sure on the competency of the guys doing the work. You’ve not paid them all the money yet have you?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:06 pm 

Just to be clear it's building control, and looking at the photos I'd deffo give them a call if just for advice.

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:18 pm 

What is the point of having chases if the cables are not put in tubes/sleeves or whatever they are called. No sh*t that is carp as well as people who cannot use an SDS drill.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:46 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks for all the replies so far I have only paid just under half the total cost This was so parts could be ordered such as boiler oil tank etc, no way I'm paying any more until the jobs complete All the old cables were in metal conduit so really only needed new cables pulling through although they decided to rip everything out and chasing for any new sockets Cables are attached to the walls on the long runs by cable clips, short runs seem to only be held in place by the bonding Best I call building control tomorrow and get their thoughts

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:54 pm 

OchAye wrote:
What is the point of having chases if the cables are not put in tubes/sleeves or whatever they are called. No sh*t that is carp as well as people who cannot use an SDS drill.

You are thinking of capping, and believe it or not, its NOT required by regs.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:46 am 
Newly registered Member

I have spoken with my local building control at the council, they suggest I contact the trade body as the tradesman can self certify, not an ideal solution as OFTEC can send someone round to check the work once complete and will complie a report but I will not be allowed to see what that report contains, which seems a bit crazy really. Maybe I should just have them check afterwards and ask when they are there if they feel that the installation meets their standards and is safe to use.

I have added 2 more pictures of pipework.

Attachment:
Pipework.JPG
Pipework.JPG [ 160.89 KiB | Viewed 293 times ]

Attachment:
Valve.jpg
Valve.jpg [ 508.74 KiB | Viewed 293 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:53 am 

someone-else wrote:
OchAye wrote:

You are thinking of capping, and believe it or not, its NOT required by regs.

Maybe not in the electrical regs but building control want it done in our part of the country or they won’t sign the job off.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:45 pm 

I would send him packing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:21 pm 
Newly registered Member

I can't really believe anyone could look at that radiator install and be proud of it.
It all looks like very poor work to me.