DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:20 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:43 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi,

I'm refurbishing my flat and I'm keen to save some money where I can and get a better finish than I can afford at the moment. Am I crazy to think about building my kitchen from scratch or should I just bite the bullet and buy one from Howdens or similar?

Time is also a factor but I'm keen to learn new skills. I am thinking a painted face framed frontage with cabinet grade plywood carcass if I do go down this route

Any tips and advice would be much appreciated

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:46 pm 
Newly registered Member

Quote:
painted face framed frontage with cabinet grade plywood carcass

and yes I have been watching lots of american youtube videos :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:37 am 

I have done it and it is not a cheaper option to do the carcases. Quite frankly you could buy the cheapest budget units, keep the carcases and hinges etc and chuck the doors. Making your own doors is not that cheap if you use proper hardwood and ply materials as you need a number of wood working machines. You can buy pre-sized stock but it is pricey.

As this appears to be a money saving exercise then I would hunt for the cheapest and best units available as you really cannot make them cheaper. A good thing to pick up is an ex-display kitchen so keep your eyes peeled at BnQ and the like.

DWD

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:04 am 

If you want to save money , then buy a used kitchen off e-bay.
Some friends of ours did this twice, once for their own house ( which was a spectacular fitted kitchen at the top end of the market) and a very good quality one they picked up a few miles from home and fitted it in a rental property.
The first kitchen ( new ) cost 20k with the marble worktops , and they paid 6k for it. The other kitchen they got for £350 and was enough to fill the kitchen of a three bed house.
They did buy a new worktop but that was all.

Food for thought
Mike

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:58 am 
Newly registered Member

I built all my own cabinets and doors in the past. Back then it saved me money. Now I doubt it would.

Like others have said, get a second hand one. Apart from hinges drooping and the odd scratch they should be fine.

Building your own only works if you have the space, the tools and the time.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:14 pm 
Newly registered Member

Ikea used to do a windows program and you put your dimensions in along with windows And openings then drag and drop the cabinets in and it would give you the price there and then.
It was easy to replace expensive cabinets for cheaper alternatives.
I fitted a few of these ikea ones (in rental properties) and they were very cheap and quite strong (18mm carcasses) .
Not bad at all for the price,they used Blum hinges and runners,they have changed them now so haven't had and recently,but I would be surprised if they were really bad.
Also you have to build them up yourself and it is surprising how long that takes.
If you built your own from scratch I would be surprised if it was cheaper,but you could make them stronger and out of better materials,the chipboard in some of these carcasses is poor.
It would take a long time also,but I am tempted myself,to do at least one tall unit.
I am in the process of doing a built in wardrobe with 12 draws made out of 15mm knotless pine panels ,I will post some pictures when done.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:30 pm 

Building kitchen units from scratch is easy enough once you have the method sorted: I've done five or six over the years with basic power tools.

If you discount the time, then the biggest cost is going to be the material for the carcasses etc. - you just can't buy it at anything like the cost that the major players can.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:21 am 
Newly registered Member

I tryed to make a kitchen from scratch but it ended up taking to much time and I knew I would go over my budget. In the end I just got a fitted kitchen. Getting them done by a pro always gives you a better result.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:11 pm 

csc83 wrote:
I am thinking a painted face framed frontage with cabinet grade plywood carcass if I do go down this route

Face-frame is more generally referred to as simply "in frame" here (referring to the doors) and there's no such thing as cabinet grade plywiod. TBH those American videos are aimed at the typical American weekend warrior with at least a "contractor saw", a "lunchbox planer" (thicknesser) and a garage full of tools, which begs the questions, "What do you have?" and "Where can you work?"

A face frame requires a saw bench, a planer and a thicknesser to prep the timber. To assemble the frame you'll need a jointing system (e.g. Kreg, mini-biscuits, doweller, etc) and a mitre saw. The doors are generally mounted on butt hinges and need a 1.5 to 2mm constant gap all round - so real accuracy is called for in making them (believe me, I have made them). Laid-on doors on concealed hinges are a thousand times easier to get right

As to the carcasses, I'd tend to agree that bought-in MFC (melamine-faced chipboard) will probably be cheaper unless you have the tools to make it from "pre-band" (pre-edge banded MFC). Because plywood in the UK comes in 8 x 4ft sheets and you'd be talking about birch plywood as the equivalent to the American stuff - that isn't going to be a cheap option in 18mm (you are probably looking at over £80 a sheet for an S/BB grade suitable for cabinetmaking - lower grades such as BB/CP would defeat the objest as they are full of imperfections and visible repairs).

If you are still convinced that you want to go ahead then in your position I'd compromise and make the carcasses (out of MFC) but buy in the doors. This allows you to handle awkward non-standard sized cabinets that a flat pack kitchen can't

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:11 pm 
Newly registered Member

For me, I would prefer building my own kitchen. This way you can customize the design and arrangement of your kitchen appliances.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:53 pm 

EdmundRodgers wrote:
For me, I would prefer building my own kitchen. This way you can customize the design and arrangement of your kitchen appliances.

Hi and welcome :welcome: After what J&N advises, you'd still want to build your own? :shock:

SN :occasion5:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:36 pm 

EdmundRodgers wrote:

All I'd say is that appliances come in standard sizes, so 500 or 600 wide x 870 hih x up to 560 deep for dishwashers, tumble driers, ovens, frifges, etc. It means that the cabs holding them end up being standard sizes, regardless. Non-standard cabs can be ceated by "cutting and shutting" bought-in cabs - for which a cordless saw with a fine tooth blade, a large speed square and a supply of black carcass screws are very handy. Doors, on the other hand, may be worth making yout=rself - depending on taste, style and finish required.