DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:36 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:20 am 

Our Sharp Aquos LCD Colour TV, Model: LC-32 LE 320E seems to have developed a problem over the past two weeks.
Firstly, when you switch it on, you get this message: There is a technical problem with this channel, please try back later. This message appeared on all the channels. So after two days, I reckoned it must have been the high winds that have dislodged summat on the satellite receiver. So (leaving the TV switched on and displaying the fault message), I went up a ladder and fiddled/adjusted the dish. When I got back in, the screen was blank. All attempts to turn it on now fails?
If I switch off socket, then remove plug from socket, wait say few minutes and replace plug then switch it on, the BLUE light (an arrow like Citroen Logo) comes on for a split second, then goes out. When I press the button on TV to turn it on, nothing happens. Wife has started calling me names now and the kids are climbing up the walls in frustration. I am assuming if it is something I can do, better to try before getting the Pro's in.
HELP

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:28 am 
Troll Headbutter

I'm a bit confused KT.

Are you watching FREEVIEW (using a TV aerial) or are you watching SATELLITE (with a dish?) via an external box, like SKY or Freesat?

BG

For this message the author BillyGoat has received gratitude : kintangoman
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:55 pm 

Fiddling and playing with the dish is a NO-NO unless you kow exactly what you're doing. Misalignment by as much as 1 degree (barely visible to the naked eye) will result in no signal being received.

First thing to do is try another TV in the same place using the same equipment/cable. Narrow down the problem to the set or the signal first.

Personally I reckon there is a problem with the TV power suply - many sets display these kind of symptoms when capacitors on the PSU board get hot/dry. Simplest solution is to get a refurbished/replacement PSU board (google and/or eBay will reveal the price). but unless you're confident of your abilities this is best left to a pro.

Unfortunately, fixing the TV problem will now leave you with an antenna/dish problem.

For this message the author kellys_eye has received gratitude : kintangoman
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:03 pm 
Troll Headbutter

I'm not so sure K_E. A TV wouldn't have an issue for 2 days, then go OFF when someone has moved a dish - it's a seperate receiver. Bit of a coincidence!

I'd be thinking the source was HDMI/other and it's shut down as no signal.

It's hard to tell though....

BG

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:23 pm 

BillyGoat wrote:
I'm a bit confused KT.

Are you watching FREEVIEW (using a TV aerial) or are you watching SATELLITE (with a dish?) via an external box, like SKY or Freesat?

BG

BG I am watching satellite with a dish via an external box. So all channels going to TV comes via the external box.
KE, I know I shouldn't have touched the dish, but all that wind might have just moved something? I merely fiddled with it, then left it alone. Anyways, I forgot to mention that when I made the first attempt, I had the TV off. On switching it back on, the same problem presented itself. Then I decided to leave the TV on at the second attempt. When I came indoors, the screen was off? My gut feeling tells me that it is a power related issue (the cables are definitely ok as the 'V' blue light will not appear otherwise.
Also, KE, if I can trace the problem, I am happy to buy the part from ebay or similar and attempt a repair. If I go to peoples houses and play with their boilers, pcb's, etc, I see no reason why I cannot try my hand at replacing something from the TV?
OK, I agree its not the same but I'm willing to try. If I can fix the TV and am left with an antenna/dish problem, I will not be so traumatised as the dish/antenna problem had been there for TWO days at least before I decided to meddle with things.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:54 pm 

Good, teach the Children how to play "Scrabble"..

No TV, = good family bonding time..

Your Children may not agree.... :oops:

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:56 pm 

Can you get the TV to come on at all? Play DVD/Videos or anything? If it's 'dead' then the usual fuse checks can be made and yo should check the INTERNAL fuse of the set too. If the internal fuse has blown then a new PSU board (£90) is required.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:42 am 

I often get this message on a few channels.

Mine is always cured by switching the sky box off at the wall for 30 seconds.

I must have to do this at least once a fortnight to cure problems.

Don't know why someone cant produce a sky receiver that works reliably ::b :cussing:

www.drlgas.co.uk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:36 am 

wine~o wrote:
Good, teach the Children how to play "Scrabble"..

No TV, = good family bonding time..

Your Children may not agree.... :oops:

Precisely what I told the wife. I've even gone one further. I've taken away their Nintendo 3DS games for the past week. Wifey is feeling the strain though, saying now kids won't give her a minutes rest?

KE, I'll do the checks you mentioned. The TV will not come on, so I doubt DVD wlwork. I'll try that later today just to confirm.
Thanks everyone for your help