DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:38 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:43 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hello, everyone

I have had a new bathroom suite put in (bath out, shower cubicle in, new toilet, new handbasin) and, everyday since then, I am getting a strong sewers smell emitting from the bathroom. The new bathroom is two weeks old today, Sat.14.Oct.17, and in the last two weeks I have tried flushing with hot water, cold water, bleach solution, vinegar and bicarb. - to flush any possible human debris from the system but all to no avail. I cannot enjoy my new bathroom because of the sewer stench. Recommendations, please, before I ask the fitter to return? Is there anything else I can try? My home is a parkhome so the sewerage set-up is a bit different to normal dwelling. Thanks, everyone, for any useful suggestions.

From a very upset person :(

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

For this message the author mermaidnwuk has received gratitude : multiman
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:19 pm 

If there's no leaks anywhere, then possibly water is being sucked from one of the traps. You could test that by ensuring that the all the traps have water in (fill from a bottle/jug ) and see if smell goes/lessens.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:43 pm 

This has happened to us and every few days we run some water in the bath and also the overflow in the basin. As Ayjay said, it's probably a sort of siphon affect where when we flush the loo it sometimes sucks all the water from the bath trap then there is nothing left to stop sewerage smells from coming up.
The basin trap is a bit different where the water can sit in a small void somewhere and just goes off, so we pour some water in the overflow to wash the stale stuff out and leave fresh water in there.

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:08 pm 
Newly registered Member

ayjay wrote:
If there's no leaks anywhere, then possibly water is being sucked from one of the traps. You could test that by ensuring that the all the traps have water in (fill from a bottle/jug ) and see if smell goes/lessens.

I will try that and come back for more suggestions, if I need to, thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:11 pm 
Newly registered Member

London mike 61 wrote:
This has happened to us and every few days we run some water in the bath and also the overflow in the basin. As Ayjay said, it's probably a sort of siphon affect where when we flush the loo it sometimes sucks all the water from the bath trap then there is nothing left to stop sewerage smells from coming up.
The basin trap is a bit different where the water can sit in a small void somewhere and just goes off, so we pour some water in the overflow to wash the stale stuff out and leave fresh water in there.

Mike

Hi, and thanks for your comment, Mike. Did you ever cure the recurring smell? Or do you need to do the 'pour some water' all the time?

For this message the author mermaidnwuk has received gratitude : multiman
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:17 pm 

It sounds like it is drawing the water out of the traps allowing odour to creep out. You need an anti syphon valve that allows air into the pipe run to prevent syphoning. Something like this https://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-ant ... 32mm/37314

DWD

For this message the author dewaltdisney has received gratitude : multiman
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:41 pm 

mermaidnwuk wrote:
London mike 61 wrote:

Mike

Hi, and thanks for your comment, Mike. Did you ever cure the recurring smell? Or do you need to do the 'pour some water' all the time?

We have to keep doing it as there isn't a definitive solution to the problem :sad:

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:56 pm 
Newly registered Member

dewaltdisney wrote:
It sounds like it is drawing the water out of the traps allowing odour to creep out. You need an anti syphon valve that allows air into the pipe run to prevent syphoning. Something like this https://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-ant ... 32mm/37314

DWD

That looks impressive! Where would it be fitted, please? I am in a parkhome i.e. very shallow underfloor, and would my plumber need to return to fit this? Thanks for your response and recommendation.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:58 pm 
Newly registered Member

London mike 61 wrote:
mermaidnwuk wrote:
London mike 61 wrote:

Mike

We have to keep doing it as there isn't a definitive solution to the problem :sad:

Mike

Hello, again

The idea that there might never be a solution to my smelly, new bathroom really does depress me! :(

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:04 pm 

I wouldn't worry about it too much as every bathroom has a different set up and yours may be easily remedied.

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:18 pm 

But if your bathroom is just 2weeks old, why are you looking for a solution? get who ever installed back.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:30 pm 

There are lots of different types of air admittance valves and it should be very easy for your installer to fix this. They are only a few quid and easy to install. Have you checked underneath you home to see all the main wastes are not leaking?

DWD

For this message the author dewaltdisney has received gratitude : multiman
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:16 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hello, all

Sorry for taking so long to come back but I thought it polite to return and let you know the outcome.

When he returned from his holiday, I rang the bathroom fitter and he came back. I told him I had tried flushing lots of water and a variety of cleaning solutions through the system - all to no avail. He went under my home to check there were no leaks and fitted an extra trap. Problem cured. No more bad smells. I am so happy with my new bathroom, now.

Thank you, again, to all who tried to help me on here. :)

For this message the author mermaidnwuk has received thanks - 3: dewaltdisney, Grumps, wine~o
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:26 pm 

Thanks for coming back with the update :salute:

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:46 am 
Newly registered Member

wine~o wrote:
Thanks for coming back with the update :salute:

You're welcome. I think it's only right that I let everyone that responded know the outcome. Who knows, it might help others.