DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:08 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:45 am 

I read that HMS Kate was awarded a gong from the people of Tuvalu (that famous Pointless answer re small countries that are members of the UN etc) for highlighting their plight of global warming (sea level rise) and the risk to that particular island.

So I searched for pictures of Tuvalu from 1970 and 2017 to make a comparison - find some, I COULD NOT. Despite Googles famed search engine, nary an image was to be found. They are ALL articles on climate change.... d'uh......

So I searched for alternative evidence and found something rather interesting (but not wholly surprising if you're a total cynic like me)

SURFACE AREA measurements! Here is a graph of the surface area of Tuvalu over the period 1970 to 2016 (latest info)

Just for the sake of devilment, here's a graph for that poor, distressed and 'disappearing' country we all love to holiday in - the Maldives....

I leave it to the reader to decided how 'fast' those threatened islands are sinking due to rising sea levels.

Attachments:
Maldives.png
Maldives.png [ 20.58 KiB | Viewed 397 times ]
Tuvalu.png
Tuvalu.png [ 19.07 KiB | Viewed 397 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:05 pm 

They must be floating on all the plastic waste. . .

(Mind you the plastic waste really is a problem!)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:27 pm 

Dave54 wrote:

Depends on what you qualify as as a 'problem'.

Whilst zero pollution is a great aim, it is as unlikely as someone-else hitting the thanks button and the whole campaign around plastic waste is exaggerated beyond belief anyway.

If you took the % of plastic pollution to the whole of the global sea content it's so small as to be invisible. If you take individual sites (as the propagandists do) you'll see lots of it and 'worry'. The 'scientists' can't even agree if plastic is an existential problem or one that will disappear through natural processes - the way all oil spills do (but activists claim "oh noes, we're all going to die").

As usual it's the way the problem is presented for public consumption - statistics if you will.

Thing is, all the claims usually have some basis of 'money' behind them (as you'd expect) and all facts to the contrary.

It's all a con.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:13 pm 

Zero pollution we can forget. Not until some bloke comes up with a way to make everything we need from rainbows, and power it from unicorn dropping anyway.
Global warming seems to be fact. Causes? Nobody seems to really know for sure. Piles of disinformation out there on the net, as there is from everything from Brexit to Zips.
You can see the plastic on the beaches though down here, and apart from anything else it's a mess.
You can also see if you look closer, that it's getting ground down into tiny pieces, that are sub 1 mm to dust in size, and presumably smaller.
There is that research that says at the smaller sizes presumably at molecular level, it's interfering with the reproduction of molluscs. It's also made of chemicals which aren't supposed to be inside molluscs or us.
So that's a big "I don't know", but it seems a good idea not to tip plastic into the sea. The sea is big, but it's not infinitely big.
I'm like you though. I'm sick of scare stories by "experts" with their own agenda.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:23 pm 
Old School Chippie

Dave54 wrote:
Zero pollution we can forget. Not until some bloke comes up with a way to make everything we need from rainbows, and power it from unicorn dropping anyway.

Yes, but what about all the greenhouse gasses which come from the associated unicorn farts? Bet that'll keep you up at night worrying :shock:

I find the thought of things other than Skittles being made from rainbows intriguing, though

OK, I'm an "old school" chippie, so please don't ask me to do a bodge job - I didn't bring my horse today and in any case you don't seem to have a hitching rail!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:25 pm 

Unicorn droppings produce Methane. . Fact. I know coz it's on t'internet. :hiding:

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:49 pm 

wine~o wrote:
Unicorn droppings produce Methane. . Fact. I know coz it's on t'internet. :hiding:

Yes but they smell of rainbows. . .

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:52 pm 
Old School Chippie

...or is that Skittles?

OK, I'm an "old school" chippie, so please don't ask me to do a bodge job - I didn't bring my horse today and in any case you don't seem to have a hitching rail!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:47 pm 
Newly registered Member

kellys_eye wrote:
Dave54 wrote:

Depends on what you qualify as as a 'problem'.

Whilst zero pollution is a great aim, it is as unlikely as someone-else hitting the thanks button and the whole campaign around plastic waste is exaggerated beyond belief anyway.

If you took the % of plastic pollution to the whole of the global sea content it's so small as to be invisible. If you take individual sites (as the propagandists do) you'll see lots of it and 'worry'. The 'scientists' can't even agree if plastic is an existential problem or one that will disappear through natural processes - the way all oil spills do (but activists claim "oh noes, we're all going to die").

As usual it's the way the problem is presented for public consumption - statistics if you will.

Thing is, all the claims usually have some basis of 'money' behind them (as you'd expect) and all facts to the contrary.

It's all a con.

Plastic in the ocean is a problem, but one that we don't always see, as the problem may be away from where we are. The Pacific being an obvious example, where areas are heavily polluted with plastic, both visible, and microscopic.

But what are the sources? Well, the Pacific issue is said to be largely from shipping containers falling from ships, but a lot around the UK (and the rest of the world) is from washing machines:
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/es201811s

But also, its single use plastics. When I go on the beach in summer, I see litter from families leaving their single use items. Of course we can say that they should take their rubbish with them, but to use less single use plastics would be a better start.

These are just small parts of the issue. Its a huge problem with many factors that need to be addressed. A good article on this is here:
http://www.recyclingwasteworld.co.uk/in ... cs/164662/

Although I would question whether recycling will actually reduce marine plastics, if said recyclates end up in a shipping container bound for say China, and it falls off said ship.

Its a problem that will only get worse in the coming years with global economic growth.