DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:02 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:34 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hey guys,

I have done some research regarding LED lights and figured its actually a cheap way of saving money on bills. Have a read of an article I have put together and see if it can help you guys at home :)

A small guide on how to save money by using LED Lights for your home or business.

If your electric bills are too high and your looking to save some pounds, LED lights are a must have for your home or business in 2015! LED’s are everywhere you go these days and more often or not you don’t even realise or know they are there. Commercial or domestic use, LED’s can be placed in walls, floors, ceilings and even behind furniture for the ultimate mood setter.

Surprisingly cost effective, LED lights have a lifespan of around 20 odd years. Wouldn’t that be great to have lights that outlive your children’s ‘stay at home’ dependence? By the time they leave, you can start looking and purchasing many new colours and verities to suit your new ’adult only home’ or to even give your business a well needed revamp. So why choose LED lights? Well let’s get down to the jargon and science!

Brightness on LED’s are a little different to brightness on a normal bulb due to watts. Something we all like to keep an eye on when shopping for yet another ‘blown’ bulb. Most of you may know that checking out the watts on a light bulb isn’t checking to see how bright it will be, but is in fact a good indication on how much energy you will be using and how much it will cost you. But the great factor about LED’s is that they draw less energy and, putting 2 and 2 together…..’Cha-ching!’

Did you know LED’s use almost 90% LESS energy than a normal incandescent bulb!!
Without going through the subjects and boring you now with a maths lesson, a 60-100 watt bulb (incandescent) is equivalent to an 8 to 12 watt LED bulb. The easy way to call this process of converting one to the other is Lumens. The higher number or lumens, the brighter your effect.

Let’s have a little look at colours! As you can see, LED lights can express many different colours to suit your needs. This is a fantastic way to incorporate your colour scheme from your business to entwine with changing rooms, pay stations or just general lighting itself. That’s not to say when you’re at home enjoying dinner, you will feel like you’re in your local club or at the fair! The range of colours for LED’s are vast from red and blues, to soft yellows and whites. So where can you put LED lights? Almost anywhere to be honest. Remembering that LED’s do not get as hot as incandescent bulbs, I am not recommending you place them in confined or enclosed spaces. You can however get LED’s that are approved for smaller spaces, just ask your retailer for information.

What you must remember when shopping for LED lights is that it’s not a quick fix, cash in pocket solution, but more of a long term investment as said above. Initially the cost of LED’s are slightly higher than your usual incandescent bulbs however the life span of 20ish years will most definitely cover your costs of having to buy one every few years ensuring you save money with LED Lights. Placing these lights almost anywhere at home or in your business will guarantee satisfaction and peace of mind, knowing your investing your funds!

Has anybody else managed to save money with LED's? Let me know!

Thanks for reading guys!

Emily James :)

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:55 pm 

I'd question your claim on lifespan - until I've actually seen one last more than TWO years without either failing or degrading.....

People often discount the heat that conventional bulbs add to your home which has to be 'replaced' if using LEDs. They are good but they are not perfect.

For this message the author kellys_eye has received gratitude : LocksOnline
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:12 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks for the comment! I agree they are not perfect but research seems to show they do save money. I don't think it's a quick fix option but more of a long term investment. I also agree they act as heat too which in the summer time is a great way of saving money. The life span I have quoted is by far the top end of the scale at about 7 hours per day, give or take an hour or so :)

Thanks again for your comment! Much appreciated! :)
Emily :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:13 pm 
Pro Carpenter

it cost you 3 times as much for a 1kw off heat from a 100w bulb as the same from your gas central heating
you also have to the cost off getting rid off the excessive heat when you dont want it

most leds will pay for themselves in around 6-12 weeks if in use for an average 10 hrs a day
if we assume your electric cost 14.3p per kw thats 1p per watt saved every week
a 100w bulb will cost 14p a day £1 a week and £52 a year
the equivillant led off 12w will cost £6.50a year
so after 13 weeks the 100w has used £13 and the led £1.63p

For this message the author big-all has received thanks - 2: AdanClinton, LocksOnline
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:08 pm 

I don't care what they cost or how long they last (within reason) they are properly bright as soon as you turn them on unlike the garbage that the EU wants us to use.

With regard to their longevity, the ones that I bought purported to have an extremely long life in respect of run-time but with the caveat that they can only sustain a limited number of actuations - so, if you turn them on and off a lot (I swear I'll swing for her one day) :shock: they will not reach their full potential in hours of use.

For this message the author ayjay has received gratitude : LocksOnline
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:54 pm 

Hi,

I bought my first LED bulb this week from our local Home Bargains store; its an ecolight 440 lumens 180 degree beam angle 5W/40W with a small Edison screw. It fitted straight into one of our spotlights which used R50 bulbs and so far so good; the price I believe was £2.99 and each time I visit the store in future I'll keep buying one.

Kind regards, Col.

SOME PEOPLE ARE SO POOR ALL THEY HAVE IS MONEY.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:54 pm 

Retired wrote:
Hi,

I bought my first LED bulb this week from our local Home Bargains store; its an ecolight 440 lumens 180 degree beam angle 5W/40W with a small Edison screw. It fitted straight into one of our spotlights which used R50 bulbs and so far so good; the price I believe was £2.99 and each time I visit the store in future I'll keep buying one.

Kind regards, Col.

Word to the wise, Col... home bargains tend to do these as limited time offers, as in "Once they're gone, they're gone" if you are happy with their performance then stock up whilst they still have some...

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

For this message the author wine~o has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:31 am 

Hi,

Thanks wine~o, after buying the first LED I thought my luck had run out at Home Bargains because as you rightly say buy whilst I can? I've kept looking and finally this morning there were just three golf ball sized LED's in the rack which is perfect; I bought all three so am about to install them; our four R50 spotlights in the kitchen will then all be LED. I'll be interested to see how they perform and how long they last? :thumbleft:

Kind regards, Col.

Attachment:
LEDs.JPG
LEDs.JPG [ 266.22 KiB | Viewed 1159 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:51 pm 

Retired wrote:
Hi,

Thanks wine~o, after buying the first LED I thought my luck had run out at Home Bargains because as you rightly say buy whilst I can? I've kept looking and finally this morning there were just three golf ball sized LED's in the rack which is perfect; I bought all three so am about to install them; our four R50 spotlights in the kitchen will then all be LED. I'll be interested to see how they perform and how long they last? :thumbleft:

Kind regards, Col.

Attachment:
LEDs.JPG

Have you tested to see whether the LEDs are actually as described?? Given your electrical/electronic knowledge you should be able to test them better than I.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuDuSC ... pEqllfYr0w

Does test LEDs :dunno: Whether he knows his onions though ???

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:04 pm 

Hi,

Thanks for asking wine~o; it never occurred to me to check these LED's because I thought there would be lots of regulations in place as to safety and specification etc?

Kind regards, Col.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:49 am 
BANNED

big-all wrote:
it cost you 3 times as much for a 1kw off heat from a 100w bulb as the same from your gas central heating
you also have to the cost off getting rid off the excessive heat when you dont want it

most leds will pay for themselves in around 6-12 weeks if in use for an average 10 hrs a day
if we assume your electric cost 14.3p per kw thats 1p per watt saved every week
a 100w bulb will cost 14p a day £1 a week and £52 a year
the equivillant led off 12w will cost £6.50a year
so after 13 weeks the 100w has used £13 and the led £1.63p

The reasonable logic,thank you !

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:35 pm 

Hi,

One down three to go. One LED has already failed so I'm not impressed so far; installed three days and with very little use. ::b

Kind regards, Col.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:43 pm 

Take it back.. refund or replace..

Out of 9 Leds I bought from Home Bargains one failed within weeks... they replaced no problems, now about 1 year on and no more failures... :salute:

Verwood Handyman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:48 pm 
Approved Electrician

big-all wrote:

The average daily use for a light bulb is 10 hours?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:58 pm 
Pro Carpenter

its to keep the maths simple as possible far far easier to scale up or down from 10 than 6.5 or 8.3 :lol: