DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIRECTORY | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:41 am

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:07 pm 

hi,im painting a lovely big georgian house at the moment.the back has been roughcast and previously painted.
ive bought some sandtex trade smooth masonary paint in a mid grey,poured the first tin in to my scuttle and noticed it was very thin.
checked and every other can was the same .tried rolling some only to find it was like sitting in a shower of grey paint :cussing: .i went back to my supplier who checked against a ready mixed colour off the shelf and the thickness was night and day.he called the area rep who is going to take a can back to hq and test it but started all the waffle about how different colours use different thickness bases.ive never seen anything like it just wondered if anybody else has had the same problem

You may not be able to see the full post including pictures unless you register or log in

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:56 pm 

Yep...if its a tinted base then youl find they are all like p*ss...we used a 365 a few years ago and it was the same..all bases are like it for any paint, they have to make em thin so the colourant can mix when its being shaken....all paints that require to be mixed from a base are the same...crap

All that 'testing' marlarky is just a waste of time..makes it look like they are actually looking into it

Next time, if its a light colour ask them to mix it using ordinary white paint if its a pastel base...they will probably say the colour wont be right etc but if its a pastel or light base it will barely be any different..if at all.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:21 pm 

thanks for the reply have brush, ive ordered 10 buckets of white and ive got a bottle of black colourant,hopefully i can get them all mixed the same :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:41 pm 

Second the mixing from white plan. I used to do that all the time in Leyland because they'd only charge for the white paint and not the tinting, bearing in mind they've always got some sort of offer on plain white it meant I'd often end up with 10 litres of mixed colour for about £25... It pays to be friendly with staff.

Unfortunately they recently got clamped down on by head office and used the excuse that their new mixing machine wouldn't allow them to use white as a base :scratch: Never mind eh it was good while it lasted and it's always worth asking anywhere you get any colours mixed up.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:10 pm 

bronz wrote:

Unfortunately they recently got clamped down on by head office and used the excuse that their new mixing machine wouldn't allow them to use white as a base :scratch: Never mind eh it was good while it lasted and it's always worth asking anywhere you get any colours mixed up.

Poor excuse tbh...white base is almost the same as a pastel base.

Quote:
thanks for the reply have brush, ive ordered 10 buckets of white and ive got a bottle of black colourant,hopefully i can get them all mixed the same

Its easy enough...just use three empty buckets to start and keep switching the mix between each on...its called boxing..and its also a good idea to do it with any paint that has been mixed on a machine in the shop...

Be careful with the black when trying to acheive a grey...the result you get will depend on the source of the black pigment...you can have bluey greys, brownie greys, greenie grey etc...

The easiest way to mix the colour so it blends properly is to mix some of your colourant in with a lire or so of white first..then add it to the rest...otherwise youl find it really hard going if you use the colourant neat.

For this message the author Have Brush Will Travel has received gratitude : michelangelo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:17 pm 

thanks ,good advice
:thumbleft:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:49 pm 

Yeah, the poor old manager was looking at the floor when he tried to put that one past us. Felt a bit sorry for him really he was only following orders.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:58 pm 

I've used quite a bit of Weathershield Trade, all mixed up to various colours, and it's been fine (i.e. not thin). Maybe it's just the Sandtex?