DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:14 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:05 am 
Newly registered Member

Attachment:
IMG_5254.PNG
IMG_5254.PNG [ 1.11 MiB | Viewed 587 times ]
Attachment:
IMG_5253.PNG
IMG_5253.PNG [ 999.7 KiB | Viewed 587 times ]
Looking for some help and advice if anyone can spare it .
We moved in to our new house relatively recently and have noticed some water ingress to a couple of the rooms.
I went up on the roof yesterday and found,
trees growing in a valley, broken ridge tiles, slates, pointing from skew stones missing and
one of the chimneys is in a pretty poor state causing me major concerns.

The pointing is knackered and sections of the chimney stack are severely loose with some fallen away already.

I've been frantically looking online to remedy this asap I've found that the use of cement based mortar on sandstone is a no no and lime and sharp sand sounds like the way to go.

I picked up a couple of sacks of hydrated lime and sharp this morning but need some more advice..

Is this the correct lime to use and what should i mix? I was going to go 3-1

Secondly, can I use this mortar for sticking the loose sections back on or should I use cement mortar for this with lime pointing.

Thirdly, I have read that the lime needs to cure in good weather conditions..around 7 days..living in the north east of Scotland in September this is going to be a tall order. Is there anything I can do to speed up the process or is there anyway to help protect it from the rain?

Any advice would be appreciated as I am stressing out because we have a 2 year old and (due to being injured at my previous job) have no spare cash at the moment to have this professionally repaired. I can turn my hand to a lot of things but this is something new so thought it better to ask the pros for advice before firing in.

Cheers

On another forum someone has advised to use hydraulic lime and 50/50 sharp and builders sand, 20mins in the mixer, 20 mins to fatten then a few mins mix again with not too much water?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:21 am 

what you show and describe probly realy means a summer roof strip an maybe rebuild of the stacks.
the stack in the photos might get away with repairs but the pots and flaunching an maybe the 3 or 4 stone caps will have to be lifted and reflaunched and caps new beds. with the top off then the repairs could be done to the sandstone with as you say sand and lime mortar.
all this would need a roof scaff an two people on the job.
you also need proper lead flashings to the stack not the mortar fillets .

you have low parapets that need fixing securely and lead flashing not fillets.
working on stacks an flues means sweeping and blocking off fire openings below.
i cant see the gable side of the stack an chimney breas but maybe it needs pointing or more repairs.
the intersecting ridge tile isn't pointed maybe the ridge tiles all need rebedding?

its realy a job for professionals not a diy