Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:02 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:43 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi people, I have been looking to purchase a sander!

Unfortunately, it is like buying a car ie do you want a radio/what colour/what seats etc etc. The bottom line is are that my eyes feel like they are full of sawdust after having read review after review. There are lots of good reviews of sanders there plenty of bad reviews = I am plenty confused.

Basically, I want one that is not going to fall apart in 5 minutes, but as a casual Diy do I need/want to go into three figures for a purchase?

My needs at the moment are; for skirting boards and door frames, garden bench seating, and possibly stripping back some pine coloured house desks that seem a bit tired. None of it is heavy sanding, so I was thinking more in lines of a multi random orbital sander! Maybe you will be nodding your head in disapproval - not a problem as I am open to the experience of superior knowledge.

Tbh I am not looking to be spending on any one item more than £80.....having said that I usually end up spending more. Any advice would be gratefully taken onboard.

Many thanks in advance........John (John6)

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:49 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thank you all (60) of you for taking time to read my post.

I am not sure as to whether I have written it badly or not clearly. Whilst I am not looking (although you can) for a detailed review, I was looking for a basic pros and cons opinion. If no one uses a sander :shock: , then what is the best quickest way of getting the jobs mentioned done.

Thanks John

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:11 pm 
Mr. Grumpy

I have a Bosch blue orbital sander and it has done a good deal of work.

I am never a fan of cheap tools even for DIY as it can be pot luck with them. A cheap sander will be fine with wood etc but when you start using it for sanding filler etc thet can get clogged up and burn out (as my skill one did). Also a lot of DIY versions have a cable and plug that is to short and easily damages. The pad losses it's velco grip quickly

None of them do a great job of collecting dust but attach it to a hover and you will get most of it.

I did buy a cheap flat sander as I had a lot of doors to do an an orbital one would just take forever. I have never used it since. It was crude and vibration pretty bad but did the job.

You mention sanding skirtings . A half sheet sander will fly through that but it's not as versatile as a random orbit sander. Further you get a better finish on the orbit sander due to the nature of the mechanism in .my view

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:30 pm 
Newly registered Member

DIY_Johnny wrote:
I have a Bosch blue orbital sander and it has done a good deal of work.

I am never a fan of cheap tools even for DIY as it can be pot luck with them. A cheap sander will be fine with wood etc but when you start using it for sanding filler etc thet can get clogged up and burn out (as my skill one did). Also a lot of DIY versions have a cable and plug that is to short and easily damages. The pad losses it's velco grip quickly

None of them do a great job of collecting dust but attach it to a hover and you will get most of it.

I did buy a cheap flat sander as I had a lot of doors to do an an orbital one would just take forever. I have never used it since. It was crude and vibration pretty bad but did the job.

You mention sanding skirtings . A half sheet sander will fly through that but it's not as versatile as a random orbit sander. Further you get a better finish on the orbit sander due to the nature of the mechanism in .my view

Thank you.

It is inevitable that when I start looking at tools, (incidentally tools that I know very little about), they are based on (price/being an amateur) what I would classify as middle of the road tools. Having said that, my gardening tools are Stihl and Husqvarna - I will spend if I can justify to myself that it is the right thing to do.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:49 pm 

if im making up a new door frame for example i have a makita quarter sheet sander. cheap enough and does the job.

i have a b&q maccalister random orbit sander. its alreet. extremely dusty. awkward to hook a vac up too. it occasionally comes out for the odd sanding job. not too often though. i should imagine it would be sound for floors etc

i have a festool ro90 sander. that has a few modes. it can be a delta head sander. it also has i think.... random orbit and rotex modes. one is very aggressive the other not so. fairly expensive machine at about £350- £400 though. sanding discs arent too bad though.

i also have my fein multi master and dewalt multi tool both of which can be used as a sander

For this message the author fin has received gratitude : John6
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:37 pm 
Mr. Grumpy

John6 wrote:

It is inevitable that when I start looking at tools, (incidentally tools that I know very little about), they are based on (price/being an amateur) what I would classify as middle of the road tools. Having said that, my gardening tools are Stihl and Husqvarna - I will spend if I can justify to myself that it is the right thing to do.

I think it really depends on if you enjoy doing a bit of DIY and think you will do it in the future. I quite like have pro tools. I appreciate the quality and it makes the task enjoyable. I spend many years buying cheap Homebase B&Q style tools and most broke or I just dumped them. I think some tools a DIYer can justify buying pro versions like (Bosch Blue, DeWalt, Makita) such as a cordless drill, they are used a lot. Other tools where you might use it once in a lifetime like a big SDS breaker I only buy a cheap screwfix version like Titan as I can't justify £300+ on a pro version

For this message the author DIY_Johnny has received gratitude : John6
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:47 pm 
Pro Carpenter

the trouble is really you need a belt a detail and a random orbit or three seprate sanders to do it easily
belt with the grain for large flat areas
detail for fiddly bits
and orbital flat and curves
lidl and aldi can supply reasonable belt detail and random orbit sanders

For this message the author big-all has received gratitude : John6
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:16 pm 
Old School Chippie

I might have read it earlier ( :oops: ) but I sometimes like a bit of time to ponder things...... As others have sort of said, there's no such thing as one size fits all - there are multiple options in sanding - but I find that I can happily "survive" with a dual orbit (coarse/fine) 150mm random orbit sander, a 1/4 sheet orbital sander and a multitool (which in any case has other uses). The 1/4 sheet orbital is great for touching up stuff like architrave mitres, etc but really can't do the big stuff whilst the 150mm random orbit sander is my real workhorse. Having a dual orbit (coarse 6mm and fine 3mm)it covers the work of a normal finishing ROS and a fair bit of what I'd have previously used a belt sander for, namely rapid rough sanding. In effect it is two sanders. Well, almost. The problem is that you want durability whilst setting a budget which is under half what I paid for that sander alone.

Sticking with the £80 budget I'd say that you'd be best off getting one sander which will do maybe 60 to 70% of what you want 9possibly more) and hand finish for the rest. That points towards something like a 150mm fine orbit ROS (there are 125mm ones, too, but they are sooooo sloooooow becthey have about 40% less pad area) and about the only tool I can think of in your price bracket possibly worth a look is the Metabo SXE3150

Attachment:
Metabo SXE3150 ROS 001_01.jpg
Metabo SXE3150 ROS 001_01.jpg [ 106.01 KiB | Viewed 787 times ]

which manages to sneak in just under your budget price from a few places such as Howe (BTW, used them, and they're reliable). It is primarily a finishing sander but is has enough power to run a 60 grit (or maybe even 40 grit) disc which may be just coarse enough if your paint isn't too thick or if you get into the habit of stripping with carbide scraper first (e.g. Linbide, Sandvik, etc). It won't be the fastest tool in town, but it will still run rings round the average DIY orbital sander. Having a round platen it won't reach into the corners which will require a bit of hand sanding, but I'm pretty sure it will outlast the DIY models on the market. I've had it's bigger, older brother, an SXE450 Duo, for some 10 years now in trade use and it's still chugging along nicely, although it has eaten a four or five hook base pads in that time (what the sanding sheets attach to) as well as a couple of brake bands (what contyol the orbit action - I somehow doubt you'll ever kill one in most DIYing), which is sort of to be expected in trade work

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

For this message the author Job and Knock has received gratitude : John6
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:04 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thank you all for your time and views/reviews.

I guess that I was looking for a multi sander, something in today's world that you would think might be the norm, basically working from the same plate, with differing speeds/modes/fittings etc. It would seem that whilst there are some of a fashion out there - they are not exactly popular. On that basis I might have to purchase more than one, which in many respects helps to explain some of the video woodworking clips that I have watched, showing the guys having an arsenal of similar, but different tools of the same type. I find by talking about it, it narrows the field down so to speak. Once again......Thank you all.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:45 pm 
Mr. Grumpy

yeah I think its hard to try get a one size fits all.When sanding doors etc a detail, palm sander is great for getting into coners but pretty slow for the main parts

For this message the author DIY_Johnny has received gratitude : John6