DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:58 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:40 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi everyone.

We currently have a standard halogen flood light on our single storey extension wall and I want to replace this with a much heavier (2.4Kg) LED flood light. We have external wall insulation with render and this adds around 10cm from the brickwwork. Our current light is smaller/lighter and is fixed on to a small wooden batten (the batten us under the render). Our new light will not fit in the same screw holes or on the existing batten.

The cable on the current light is long enough to allow me to fix the new light onto the fascia board of the extension. I will be able to get one screw to go into the roof joist. Would I be able to use a hollow wall anchor to secure the other side into the fascia board or is there a better way to do this?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:34 pm 

shahbaz wrote:
Would I be able to use a hollow wall anchor to secure the other side into the fascia board or is there a better way to do this?

Plastic fascia or timber? If plastic, is it 18mm jumbo or a 9mm capping. Either way I'd probably opt for a cleat behind the fascia - a bit of 18 or 20mm ply fitted the full width between two rafters and if it's only skinny fascia I'd fix the cleat to the rafter feet as well.

For this message the author ayjay has received thanks - 2: james232, multiman
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:24 am 
Newly registered Member

The fascia board is plastic but I am unsure of thickness. It is already in place and was put on by the same people that did the flat roof for us 5 years ago. We have had sagging and leaks so I suspect they would have gone with the cheapest fascia board.

For this message the author shahbaz has received gratitude : multiman
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:11 pm 
BANNED

shahbaz wrote:
The fascia board is plastic but I am unsure of thickness. It is already in place and was put on by the same people that did the flat roof for us 5 years ago. We have had sagging and leaks so I suspect they would have gone with the cheapest fascia board.
Another example of shoddy workmanship it's not the fascia board that's the cause of leaks it's the case that workmanship was not done correctly in first place and secondly because people never do any annual maintenance on roofs they wait until they leak and then repair or get them botched up.

Sent from my LG-K100 using Tapatalk