DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:00 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:06 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi everyone
I have a 2007 9-3 Aero (B207R)
The front metal oil cooling pipes under the front bumper sprung a leak and all of the power steering fluid shot out, I did a temp fix on the leak and added new fluid, when i started the car the steering was still non assisted, i expected that until the fluid worked it way around the system, i let it run for a couple of mins and topped the fluid up but the steering was still stiff, I turned the wheel lock to lock a few times but it made no difference, I than noticed the pump thats situated on the right top side of the engine (not belt driven) was ticking and very hot to the point i could not touch the main body!
After repairing the hole in the front metal cooling pipes - the power steering pump body & main outlet pipe was getting extremely hot within a few seconds of starting the engine I tried the air bleeding process wheels lifted / engine off /turning lock to lock whilst topping up the fluid
Apparently this type of extreme heat could indicate a blockage in the system, I fixed the hole in the metal pipe by using plumbing compression joints (temp fix) i have to say they made a very strong joint! when i fitted the joints i plugged both ends of the old pipes with a tiny piece of rag and wondered if i forgot to remove one of the pieces ! yesterday i took the joints apart to see if i could see anything blocking the flow, i cant see anything and oil seemed to flow out of the joints when loosened, I guess a small piece of rag could have travelled under the pressure?
Using the process of elimination i replaced the compression joints with some very high pressure hose and clipped it into place,i topped up the fluid and started the engine -----Bang! it blew a hole in the hose straight away! It confirms the pumps working! I have ordered a replacement set of used front pipes which i will fit next week......any more suggestion would be great!

Attachments:
saab steering pipes.PNG
saab steering pipes.PNG [ 65.49 KiB | Viewed 432 times ]
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+