DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:43 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:40 am 

Hi folks.

I was up on a roof the other day where the customer needs some tiles replaced. The area has apparently been fixed before by previous owner but the new owner is concerned about damp area in ceiling below the repaired area.

There are certainly some newer looking tiles on the roof but still some gaps.

The thing that puzzles me is that there are some wider tiles and much thinner ones too. You see this on natural slate roofs but afaik it's not seen on concrete or clay tiles.

Googling Rosemary tiles seems to show one size only. I'm thinking the previous roofer has perhaps stuck the tiles in sideways...

Rosemary tiles of standard size

same roof lower down shows different widths....

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:37 pm 

There must be *tile and a halves*, it could just be poorly set out or (maybe laid from both ends at the same time) with cut tiles infilling the resulting gaps.

For this message the author ayjay has received gratitude : foy9999
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:13 pm 

look at the side gaps between the tiles, they should follow a bonded pattern but yours have lost someof the bond.
the wide tiles are tile an a half and the small widths are cut tiles.
you only use tile an a half at the end of a course, at abutments an veges valleys hipsan so onbut not in the field.
if you dont have underfelt then moisture is probly geting in.
your gauge is uneven so maybe tiles are slipping?why?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:41 am 

Yes. I think the pattern has been lost because someone has been putting the tiles in sideways

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:47 pm 

Well. I found the answer closer to home....

I went back to replace any missing tiles the other day with 5 new Rosemarys I had from a previous job and the owner of the house appeared with a much bigger brand new one he found in his shed. Well actually underneath the garage which has a basement.

So now I know you do get bigger ones but where would you buy more if you needed them. Also does that mean you get thinner ones too as there seems to be a thin one next to each wide one. Why not just use the standard size? You don't get this with concrete tiles (Marleys etc).

Another pita is that they are all double nailed which makes it quite tricky to remove broken ones and even more worryingly when you do get it out you can't feel the replacement catching on the batten when you push it it.

Can't see what's going on but it's as if they were nailed onto battens rather than hung on batten and nailed :dunno:

so you do get wider ones

looks like they are 1.5 x standard size

not easy to get broken bit out when it's double-nailed

old one is a different brand but both have tangs on back to hang on battens

new one in but it ain't hanging on batten and isn't nailed. can't slip off tho as it catches on top of two tiles below if pushed down

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:52 pm 

Common knowledge, standard sized tiles and tile/halfs used to form staggered bond, you would only normally find them at the verges, and into dormers, valleys etc.
If you find a short tile its an under eave.

Some one cocked the roof up with using a tile/half, hence used it all the way up and the cut tiles don't give correct coverage.

Tiles were or sussposed to be nailed every 3rd/4th row, new regs stipulate every tile nailed, making it harder to replace any broken tiles.

For this message the author cotswold builders has received gratitude : foy9999
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:36 pm 

you can use a slate ripper to pull any hidden nails. but if you have to knock off the tile nibs then usean custom hook for refixing tiles .or a lead or copper tingle.they are usuly used on slates but sometimes can be used with plain tiles.
use the slate ripper tolift the upper tiles as you slide the tile up and the nibs will locate behind the batten lath.
tile an a half an cut tiles are used on most plain tiledroofs. whats all the fuss about? why are you doing this sometimes dangerous work ifyou dont understand roofing?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:02 pm 

wes56 wrote:
you can use a slate ripper to pull any hidden nails. but if you have to knock off the tile nibs then usean custom hook for refixing tiles .or a lead or copper tingle.they are usuly used on slates but sometimes can be used with plain tiles.
use the slate ripper tolift the upper tiles as you slide the tile up and the nibs will locate behind the batten lath.
tile an a half an cut tiles are used on most plain tiledroofs. whats all the fuss about? why are you doing this sometimes dangerous work ifyou dont understand roofing?

Hi wes56. As I work on natural slate roof I do have a slate ripper and used it to get those nails out. Have also used tingle's and slate-hooks in the past. It didn't matter how far up the tile was pushed. The nibs wouldn't locate on the batten so short of removing several of them to find out why.

Am a bit disappointed by you closing remarks as you were quite helpful to that point. I don't think asking a question is making a fuss.

As for the danger aspect I use harness etc and have had no problems and I do understand roofing but you still learn as you go and this is first time I've encountered this.

And I'm doing the work cos I need money and prefer it to other work. Same as anyone else really