DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:04 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: Roof query
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:23 pm 
Newly registered Member

I live in a semi detached house and there's a small hole in the fascia almost right on the divide between the two houses. The bit with the hole clearly forms part of next door's roof run (they pitch side to side, we pitch front to back) and overhangs our house, passing the divide line between us. It appears to allow wind and wildlife into our loft space so I'm keen for it to be fixed. I'm trying to find out if it's likely to be our roof or theirs. The deeds to the property are of no use in this regard as they speak of boundaries and so on, not a lot about any building other than "dwelling house thereon". Is there a common understanding about where the dividing line goes? I don't mind paying if it's a simple repair but would ask their permission in case it's theirs, and it would be rather nice if they did paid something!

We're in Scotland, btw, I know that makes big legal differences.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Roof query
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:19 pm 

If it’s a semi-detached house where they are identical each side then the middle of the house is the boundary. You are responsible for your side and likewise your neighbor. Like you say best to speak with next door to discuss the issue,you’ll have to take of a section of guttering to do a repair anyway and this will more than likely involve next doors guttering being temporary taken off too.