DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:10 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ripped off again.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:06 pm 

Quote:
Yes they have been "ripping us off for years" because of other peoples dishonesty. I agree with Wine~O

So you don't think it's anything to do with greed then?

You reckon that's why VW have conned people, or why Tesco & Asda were recently fined for misleading customers in a recent price war. It's all to do with people like me and nothing to do with profits?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

For this message the author Argyll has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:31 pm 

They'd call it 'business' - we (sometimes) call it greed.

Unfortunately for them, if you get caught practising dubious tactics the sh1t sticks. But also, when you're as wealthy as they are, do you think they'll be bothered that [you] stopped purchasing their products?

Stopping purchasing their stuff is one thing - a perfectly acceptable tactic - but sinking to THEIR level is moral dilemma and one that I would find hard to stoop to.

That doesn't mean I don't have my limits though..... I just haven't found them yet :lol:

For this message the author kellys_eye has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:40 pm 

I'd never rip off a working man but I have absolutely no morals when sticking it to the big man.

A few years ago I bought a cordless drill from B&Q (their own make). I only had it about a year and a half and wanted to buy additional batteries. They told me the shape of the batteries had changed and I couldn't purchase any old ones. My only solution was to buy a new one. So I took the drill back which was still under their two year warranty and told them it kept cutting out (which was a fib). They sent it back to their people who could find no fault with it. I took it back again and claimed the same problem. Eventually they gave me a new one.

The fact they changed the battery fittings in my opinion was a simple way to get people to buy another drill even though there was nothing wrong with the old drill.

Was this morally wrong or should I have bought a new one?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:41 am 

I'd have been tempted to try and open up the battery and replace the cells. I may try it when my Dewalt batteries give up.

As regards these big companies, banks etc. Why can't they just be honest? is it actually possible for them to make a profit being honest these days?

It wouldn't surprise me about the drill BTW. Apart from the fact that they probably weren't covered under the warranty, there was probably a bit in the small print that said some thing like".....in a constant attempt to improve our products, we reserve the right to alter the design or specification without notice"

For this message the author Timllfixit has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:56 am 

Business do the 'battery' trick all the time - most occasions we accept this without question (witness our willingness to purchase a cheap printer with hyper expensive cartridges or purchasing a smart phone then paying extortionate monthly fees).

There are some people out there that would be willing to pay 'more' (I can't quantify what that 'more' means though) for a product that was guaranteed to last, had guaranteed spares and had guaranteed lifetime servicing. Aren't there?

Q. Argyll - would you pay (say) double price for a drill that you KNEW you could get replacement parts for for years to come? Guaranteed spare batteries? Quality workmanship guaranteed for (say) 5 years but with the option to have the item repaired/rennovated as and when necessary - for 'life'?

It would cost the manufacturer only a few £ extra to make their models virtually indestructable - but they'd lose sales...... unless there was ONE manufacturer who cottoned on to this fact and got the jump on all the others.

The likes of Col knows how to make a machine last - his lathe example recently mentioned simple improvements in motor, steel gears instead of plastic and a more robust headstock - all-in-all probably £30-50 to the sale price of £500 - a "whole 10% more expensive!" to get a lathe that would both do a good job and LAST. But, no. They'd rather you used it for a couple of years then threw it away. That's the kind of mentality we're faced with.

Someone should start a business selling upgrade parts to actually convert the cheapo models (lathes, drills, whatever) into something useful.

For this message the author kellys_eye has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:15 am 

kellys_eye wrote:
Q. Argyll - would you pay (say) double price for a drill that you KNEW you could get replacement parts for for years to come? Guaranteed spare batteries? Quality workmanship guaranteed for (say) 5 years but with the option to have the item repaired/rennovated as and when necessary - for 'life'?

I do that now as I learned my lesson however goods should last a reasonable length of time. The drill in question was only used by me as a DIY'er so within that 18 months I probably used it about 30-40 times. It was B&Q's own make so it was intended for the DIY market. I can see no other reason for the change in batteries other than than to rip people off.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:35 am 

Hi,

Thanks everyone; Bron is once again happy to buy Klass items and yes DWD it's restored her confidence in Klass. :thumbleft:

The Renault I bought at auction Argyll boiled its head off on the way home but like all others buying at auction its a gamble; I simply put it back into auction not making anything on it and if this was dishonest of me its about as dishonest as I'll ever be. :scratch: I'd much rather do a good turn and I'll be out of pocket before letting anyone down or going back on my word. Unfortunately these days people say they will do something and don't follow through; this is happening all too frequently when people arrange to visit us at an agreed date and time but they don't arrive and no contact either; this is the quickest way never to be invited to our home again.

Dishonesty these days starts with each government and filters down; I would never return an item having damaged it on purpose because this isn't playing the game and just because I'm unhappy with something doesn't make it right to be dishonest; I just couldn't do it; I think I did the correct thing regarding our dissatisfaction with the coat pricing; I not only moaned on the forum but I took it further contacting the manufacturer in a polite and correct manner; being polite and courteous costs nothing but getting mad and being abusive costs reputation?

I think you are bang on k_e regarding machine quality these days? :thumbleft: Working at Brook Motors just before I retired in 2000 I had to attend an intensive Kaizen training course; the basic function of this course was to show how to strip everything out of anything whilst giving an acceptable item whatever the item may be; the theme being why build a Rolls Royce when a Mini will do? These days I believe machines are built to last the warranty period out then they fail and already it's been said by this failure time the spares are either highly expensive or unavailable and it's getting worse when huge companies are actually breaking the law as in the case of VW but is VW the only company doing such law breaking; they were just unlucky to get caught as was those MP's who fiddled their expenses; the higher up the bigger the fraud?

Kind regards, Col.

SOME PEOPLE ARE SO POOR ALL THEY HAVE IS MONEY.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:14 pm 

Retired wrote:
These days I believe machines are built to last the warranty period out then they fail

A classic example being car exhausts. The original exhaust on my old Audi lasted 15 years while the replacement lasted just over 3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:17 pm 
Troll Headbutter

Argyll wrote:
Retired wrote:
These days I believe machines are built to last the warranty period out then they fail

A classic example being car exhausts. The original exhaust on my old Audi lasted 15 years while the replacement lasted just over 3

Unlike Peugeot parts. They are built to last about 2 months after the car has been sold, then they tell you that it's your fault and you need to buy another.

BG

For this message the author BillyGoat has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:41 pm 

Hi,

I wonder how much it would add to the price of a new car Argyll to fit stainless steel exhausts?

I would never buy a car I can't spell the name of BG? :lol: :lol: :lol:

A few years ago I was speaking to a young lady in Morrison's and this young lady was telling me her woeful story about her Peugeot it having failed the dreaded MOT and just because of an air bag circuit board the MOT bill had risen to £700. I well remember the days when I bought a very nice MG YB saloon taxed and tested for £16 cash or my Norton ES2 500cc at a fiver? How times have changed in the last 40 years?

Kind regards, Col.

SOME PEOPLE ARE SO POOR ALL THEY HAVE IS MONEY.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:46 pm 
Troll Headbutter

Retired wrote:
Hi,

I wonder how much it would add to the price of a new car Argyll to fit stainless steel exhausts?

I would never buy a car I can't spell the name of BG? :lol: :lol: :lol:

A few years ago I was speaking to a young lady in Morrison's and this young lady was telling me her woeful story about her Peugeot it having failed the dreaded MOT and just because of an air bag circuit board the MOT bill had risen to £700. I well remember the days when I bought a very nice MG YB saloon taxed and tested for £16 cash or my Norton ES2 500cc at a fiver? How times have changed in the last 40 years?

Kind regards, Col.

If it helps, my wife had an MG F and that was a complete and utter pile of dog mess! When I got it, it had FOUR pages of MOT failures and advisories. That alone should have been enough to make me not buy it, but the wife gets what the wife wants.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:53 pm 

Retired wrote:

It cost me over 2k for a stainless steel exhaust and braided brake pipes. Dunno what I was thinking at the time.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:58 pm 

On the subject of exhausts my manager bought a new exhaust for his car and about a year later went to the same garage for something. The mechanic gave him the sales pitch and told him he needed a new exhaust. 'fire away' my manager replies and the mechanic duly fits a new exhaust.

When they asked for payment my manager pulled out the receipt for the last exhaust that proved it was still under warranty. The mechanic was raging :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:44 pm 

Argyll wrote:
On the subject of exhausts my manager bought a new exhaust for his car and about a year later went to the same garage for something. The mechanic gave him the sales pitch and told him he needed a new exhaust. 'fire away' my manager replies and the mechanic duly fits a new exhaust.

When they asked for payment my manager pulled out the receipt for the last exhaust that proved it was still under warranty. The mechanic was raging :lol:

My neighbour did that with brakes and tyres at kwikfit. They told him everything needed replacing, he let them do it and then thanked them for their warranty repair, walked out with 4 new tyres and complete set of brakes, he had only gone in because he was worried he had a slow puncture :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:58 pm 

BillyGoat wrote:

If it helps, my wife had an MG F and that was a complete and utter pile of dog mess! When I got it, it had FOUR pages of MOT failures and advisories. That alone should have been enough to make me not buy it, but the wife gets what the wife wants.

Could be worse could be a Fecksall zafira...http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/m ... fire-risk/

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next