DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:25 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ripped off again.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:47 pm 

Prices fall all the time - even the retailers can fall foul of this and find themselves holding stock that has effectively 'lost value' whilst in their own warehouses.

True they won't lose when compared to what they actually bought it for but they all have overheads to meet and if they can't sell to cover their overheads then they go bust.

This doesn't discount from those who genuinely rip you off - these people exist and it's up to ourselves to be wary of them.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

For this message the author kellys_eye has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:18 pm 

Indeed KE, and when it packed up instead of having a refund and buying at the now cheaper price I settled for a straight replacement :roll: Doh if I only had a brain at the time.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:40 am 

The term 'ripped off' is bandied about far too often in my opinion. If something is held out for sale at a given price and you purchase it at that price then nobody has been ripped off.

Surely being ripped off is when you don't get what you paid for?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:30 am 

Bill Darr wrote:
The term 'ripped off' is bandied about far too often in my opinion. If something is held out for sale at a given price and you purchase it at that price then nobody has been ripped off.

Surely being ripped off is when you don't get what you paid for?
:thumbleft:

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:28 am 

Hi,

Many thanks for your interesting replies; I thought adding this thread would generate interest.

Very good point Wes and I agree it appears rather like cutting my nose off to spite my face in boycotting stores who mess around with prices.

The coat Bron bought is worth £55 and this has never been disputed by me my gripe is that the enjoyment for Bron has been diminished a great deal and I wasn't happy to see Bron's face when she discovered the identical coat at such a reduced price locally? I did title the thread Ripped off again on purpose because I got caught out a couple of years ago at the same Boundary Mills store in Colne when I bought a lovely Parka for £72 this being reduced from £100? I still like the Parka and use it most days even during our summer. Out of curiosity though at the time I logged onto the Parka manufacturer website to find identical Parka's on sale at £78 including delivery; I believe these retail parks just con the public into thinking prices are reduced when in fact they are not.

The idea of buying an Internet phone or tablet is a good one and makes sense but not for me because for the use I'll put such devices to simply doesn't warrant the cost. I'm fully aware prices for identical items varies in stores this also applies to many tools; I saved over £100 on the purchase of my big Makita router buying online rather than in a local store. The problem for me is that I no longer trust the price labels in stores and even in places like Morrison's the special offers can be special the opposite way to what is expected; a few years ago whilst in Morrison's talking to another regular shopper called John; John said to me look at these; he was pointing towards a four pack of tinned baked beans on special offer in big letters; nearby the identical but single tins if bought in fours worked out a lot cheaper? Whom can we trust these days and I thought adding our recent experiences to be a timely warning because indeed BUYER BEWARE.

In Boundary Mills at Colne there is an M&S outlet and to be fair we've always found M&S to be honest regarding their stated reductions and highly likely this will apply to many other suppliers within the store but as in this particular case of the coat we would have been happy in ignorance had we not seen the identical coat in the Klass section at The Mill in Batley or online with free delivery at the same price. Perhaps I'm naive and nit picking but when this sort of thing happens I can't help but feel ripped off.

Christmas is so phony and many seem to think the more money they spend or debt they go into gives them a better Christmas?

Scrooge is alive and well these days but now called Col. :thumbleft:

Bron and I have enjoyed some good genuine bargains at Boundary Mills over the last twenty years but I think we are due for a change and will start looking round other places to visit just for a change; we used to enjoy a trip out to The Potteries but unfortunately so many famous potteries are now based abroad; we used to like garden centres but most garden centres now appear to focus on a large cafe. Our good scrapyards have gone has most of the secondhand machinery suppliers whom I used to deal with; there is little left other than fast food outlets.

I've always been interested in buying and restoring top class machinery and as the suppliers of these machines has faded I recently registered with an auction site;

http://www.walkersingleton.co.uk/asset-management.asp

I keep getting emails informing me of impending machinery auctions but have not yet attended one of the auctions; I'm put off by the add on charges which really bump up prices; I know these auction companies don't work for nothing and I'm unsure if VAT is added; there are bargains to be had but I think I'd feel like a vulture trawling through machinery from a company which has gone into liquidation; this won't bother most people but I don't like to benefit from someone else's misfortune; its just the way I am and the way I feel.

The real reason for adding this thread was that the monsoon denied me access into the garage so I thought I'd spend a bit of time on the forum generating a bit of interest and discussion?

Time I got off my backside and wandered into the garage because the tap has been turned off briefly although heavy rain I believe is forecast? ::b

Kind regards, Col.

SOME PEOPLE ARE SO POOR ALL THEY HAVE IS MONEY.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:09 am 

Quote:
I keep getting emails informing me of impending machinery auctions but have not yet attended one of the auctions; I'm put off by the add on charges which really bump up prices

I almost bought a van last year from the auctions. I bid £1700 but didn't realise at the time I had to pay VAT on top. I'm so glad someone outbid me.

All in I think it would have cost around £2400 including the auctioneers bill.

For this message the author Argyll has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:13 am 

Although if I were you I'd avoid using the Google shopping search option. I find it misleading and it misses loads of shops out.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:52 am 

Hi,

Thanks Argyll; I used to buy cars through auctions at Leeds before marrying 40 years ago; one action I think The Greyhound I bought A Renault 5 and it was so rough I had problems driving it home; it went into the other big Leeds auction the day after and I recouped my money in full so I was fortunate it balanced out. I was always extremely careful not to enter a bidding war which happens so often; I used to fix a price in my head what the car was worth to me including the fees and never exceed this. I've not bothered with the machinery auction because I feel for my home workshop I'm as well buying rough cast iron machines through eBay which could work out cheaper?

I use Google for general comparisons to give an idea of prices but also armed with common sense; I always consider if the item is worth the asking price to me then if it is I don't mind handing over money; it's just the feeling that I've slipped up which bugs me when I see identical items at a lower price elsewhere after I've bought it but this is life these days and it sure does pay to shop around especially for the more expensive items; a tenner isn't a major problem to lose out on but I do spend a lot more time browsing for items at over £100 each. :thumbleft:

Kind regards, Col.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:32 pm 

The only thing is not to go looking for prices after you have bought. I try not to!
Some things I do try to buy locally even if it means paying a bit more. That way if it goes wrong it's easy to take back. Things like cameras in particular. Expensive to buy, and some of the best "bargains" are grey imports or at least from unknown sources. Nothing wrong with that, except that getting repairs done can be difficult.

For this message the author Dave54 has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:42 pm 

Hi,

Klass are indeed Klass. Please see the following welcome reply I've now received from Klass;

Dear Colin,

Thank you for your email.

We are sorry that your wife is disappointed with finding the coat she purchased cheaper at another store. We have checked with our Merchandising Department and they think the problem is that when you visited Boundary Mill the reductions had not been issued by the department and then when you visited Batley Mill the day after the reductions had been put in place.

If you let us know your address details we will issue you a cheque for the £9.50 difference, we have checked with Batley Mill and the coat is on sale there for £45.50, the same as the website. We would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused and if we can assist with anything further please let us know.

Kind regards
Klass

In my email to Klass I politely explained that Bron was highly disappointed to find the identical coat so much cheaper at the Klass store in Batley and also online; I quoted all the till receipt numbers adding this is hardly the way to get or retain customers? In view of this it would be churlish of us now to avoid Boundary Mills but in future it won't hurt to visit the Klass website before visiting the Klass stores? Bron is delighted to receive a refund and I'm now happy to have helped Bron out. Normal service is resumed. :cheers:

I do moan when things go wrong but I also try to resolve the problem as in this instance I hope my story helps others. :thumbleft:

WELL DONE KLASS OTHER STORES SHOULD COPY YOU.

Many thanks Dave54 for your sound advice; Bron and I are a lot more careful whilst buying items costing in excess of £100 because differences here can really add up but although the price difference in the coat at different stores isn't a lot to get steamed up about it just annoyed especially since I had driven Bron 40 miles for her Christmas retail therapy; Bron and I are once again happy to buy from Klass and will continue to recommend Klass to our friends. A good and fair result in this selfish world. :thumbleft:

Kind regards, Col.

For this message the author Retired has received gratitude : Dave54
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:47 pm 

Thanks for letting us know the result. Nice one Col. :thumbright:
Shows that it's well worth taking the time to complain if you're not happy about something.

For this message the author Dave54 has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:24 pm 
Wood Flooring Installer

Result there sir!! :thumbright:

Squeakyfloorsolution.co.uk

>>>>>> Manchester based wood floor installers <<<<<<

For this message the author Wes has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:33 pm 

Well done Klass they did the right thing there. Hopefully this will make up for Bron's disappointment. :thumbright:

DWD

For this message the author dewaltdisney has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:04 pm 

Well done on the end result Colin,nice to see the retailer getting back in contact and giving you some good customer service.

For this message the author steviejoiner74 has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:04 pm 

Quote:
it was so rough I had problems driving it home; it went into the other big Leeds auction the day after and I recouped my money in full so I was fortunate it balanced out

Oh Colin that is so dishonest. You sold on a car knowing it was dodgy. I'm surprised the Reverend Wine~O hasn't said anything yet :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next