DIY Forum

Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:07 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:38 am 

I had a 65W fluorescent fitting, however the tubes are no longer available, tried 58W tubes which worked OK when supply volts was 245, but now with solar panels around, volts at night dropped to 230 volt. So a bit hit and miss if the fluorescent would strike.

Problem loads of stuff stored below fluorescent so hard to swap, so went for easy option fitted a LED tube 22W BG from Screwfix, seemed a bit dim after fitting, so checked, old fluorescent was around 5500 lumen hard to get exact as depends on type of ballast, new LED just 2200 lumen, no wonder it looked dim, only half the output.

Seems LED around 100 lumen per watt and fluorescent around 95 lumen per watt, so only real way to reduce power used, is to produce less light, there is an option to leave old ballast in place if magnetic, but if HF ballast fitted then old ballast is removed direct 230 volt feed to one end of tube. I removed the ballast as other wise you waste power going through ballast.

So far so good, I could manage with lower output and since up to that point not had a single mains LED lamp fail, worth going to LED for low maintenance, although life of fluorescent tube with HF ballast is same as quoted for LED, but that would mean taking fitting off the ceiling, so at least until wife's craft supplies removed it would be LED.

So now move on two years, house has been empty for 18 months so lights not used, and the LED tube fails, expect wire must have come off, so removed tube and powered with block connector, nothing, so new tube again Screwfix this time Philips, and this time just 20W really dim compared with fluorescent but still have access problem, did at one point consider a LED fitting, but you can't renew tube, and if they only last 2 years don't fancy swapping whole fitting every two years.

Once all craft rubbish is removed I will get a proper HF fluorescent fitting and come out of the dark ages once more, the actual advert says equivalent to 100W that is clearly not the case, it may be equivalent to 25W but never in this world is it equivalent to 100W fluorescent and can't really compare with tungsten as that fitting would never have taken a tungsten lamp.

I hope this one lasts longer, one penny change from £15 for Philips, £2.29 for a fluorescent tube, so it needs to last 5 times longer to pay for itself, even the fluorescent lasted 5 years to fail in two years is worse not better than fluorescent.

OK will admit the folded fluorescent tube used to replace tungsten was useless, so as a bulb the LED is good, and not had any LED bulbs fail, but as a tube LED it seems is useless. I have seen the council replacing street lamps with LED, wonder how long before they realise the human eye can see more in orange light than white, so the son lamp does not need to be as big as LED for us to see with? And in real terms we don't need to see colour with street lighting.

OK a bit of a rant, but want to save others making same mistake as me. Keep out of the LED dark ages.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:50 am 

I got a couple of tubes from Aldi when they had them on their aisles - £10 each but they didn't fit my existing fluorescent housing (note to self - measure the bl00dy thing before purchasing!!!).

They are now 'hanging' on a couple of cable ties and connected using chok blok - but they are terrific light output. Easily brighter than the original tunes and a much better colour - helps with the colour coding of electronics that I use in my workshop.

Can't comment of lifespan (yet) as they are only around a year old now but still instant-on, still bright, still hanging on cable ties...... :roll:

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 6:11 pm 

I looked at 5 foot units, with a HF unit and triphosphor tube looking at 51 watt, 32,000 hours and 5980 lumen. For LED 50 watt, 19080 hours and 4500 lumen and if it fails you need to replace whole unit, where with fluorescent all parts are independent.

However if you don't want 4500 lumen and 2000 lumen will do, then maybe.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 1:49 pm 
Approved Electrician

Half the lumens wasted into the fitting, 60% loss of brightness after 2 years, no ballasts to change.

No way would I ever fit fluorescents again.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 4:06 pm 

Thought I heard a report from 2 countries, Spain being one, that in areas where street lighting is predominate LED the incidence of cancers has risen, the link is perhaps the amount of blue light they emit interfering with the body clock!
What next filters?

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:58 pm 
Approved Electrician

http://luxreview.com/article/2018/04/st ... ate-cancer

https://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/ehp1837/

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:25 am 

Interesting, however fluorescent light is also blue, the big problem when comparing LED to fluorescent is we tend to compare to old fluorescent with both old tube coatings and magnetic ballast, not the new coatings with electronic ballasts.

Yes in some places we used fluorescent tubes which were over sized so using LED allows us to reduce the light output, but where the output is required, then the fluorescent is still king, as I found out the hard way, LED's don't last as long as fluorescent, and more to point give no warning, works one night, then does not work next, at least you can see a fluorescent is reaching end of life before it totally fails.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 4:32 pm 
Approved Electrician

You can watch a fluorescent fade to 60% of original lumens after 2 years of use.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 3:38 am 

Yes the fluorescent tube gradually degrades, however I think that is far better than just finding the light does not work. It gives one some warning.

OK with bulbs, I either have more than one bulb in the room, living room has 10 x 5W bulbs, or I have replacements in a cupboard, in fact far too many spare bulbs. But I don't tend to keep fluorescent tubes or LED replacements for them in stock, the fluorescent tube at top of stairs is 18W it was fitted in 1992 with a HF ballast in an adaptable box in the loft together with back-up batteries so stairs is lit with a power cut, at moment that is only HF unit in the house, it is on the second tube, failed about 4 years ago when the second tube was fitted, the batteries now also need replacing on my to do list. However it has lasted over 20 years. OK not that much use at top of stairs maybe 3 hours a night plus power cuts, so 22,000 hours.

The old magnetic ballast does not allow the tubes to last that long, and kitchen the lights are used a little longer so 65W tube would last about 5 years with around 5 hours a day, so around 10,000 hours, however when the supply of 65W tubes dried up, I found the 58W tubes were only lasting around 6 months, so it was either replace the ballast for a 58W ballast or fit LED.

Being lazy I fitted LED, OK the reduction in lumen was my fault, they are marketed as 2400 lumen not 5600 lumen, however I expected not to have to change it again for around 10 years, however in spite of house being empty for 18 months, the tube has only lasted 2 years.

With the living room and dinning room both with LED bulbs 16 of them, and the bedrooms and bathrooms another 10 bulbs, some SES, some GU10, some G5.3 and some BA22d not a single bulb has failed and they have done a great job, they last longer than folded fluorescent bulbs, and are brighter, the coiled and folded fluorescent were a flop, with the exception of 2D and the PL-L those two did seem to work OK.

So to get a 5 foot tube with 5000 lumen plus output you have to buy the type which once they fail you change whole fitting, but with HF fluorescent you simply replace the tube, I have actually fitted a second 2000 lumen tube as now converted to use LED I would need to replace whole fitting to return to using fluorescent.

However before the failure I was considering swapping other lamp to LED, seems can't get 6 foot replacements off the shelf, so fitted a fluorescent tube, but now I would go for a HF fluorescent fitting as cheaper to buy, tubes last 5 times longer, and they are brighter and replacement tubes are cheap.