DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:35 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:48 pm 

Hi,

It's easy to single out manufacturers who have produced faulty goods the goods then causing fire; injury or even death. How many cars get recalled each year; a while ago Beko were having problems with their fridge/freezers causing fires; strange how the Chinese are usually in the front line for criticism; "Made in China" has been around for many years and is thriving unlike "Made in Britain" which is a rare breed these days? The British skill base is rapidly eroding and although my loyalty lies in Britain I now import directly from abroad if the item I want is cheaper including delivery? I can remember when British engineering was the best in the world but how much engineering is left in Britain on a large scale; small companies now working out of industrial units? Britain cannot even make its own laws any longer and gets its strings pulled from abroad? There is something fundamentally wrong when in Britain more and more people remain at home because the benefit system pays better? I don't want to wander into politics but some things just cannot be ignored. So many laws are made these days that they are impossible to enforce such as trading standards in the retail outlets and stores.

With the run up to Christmas the stores will be trying every trick possible to empty our pockets then comes the New Year sales which Bron and I ignore as we do with sales in general; stores love impulse buying and do their best to encourage it. How many times do we see buy one get one free; why not just sell at half price? Immediately after Christmas comes the Valentines cards and gifts together with Easter eggs; it just goes on and on; mothers day; fathers day; any excuse to push us into buying.

I do our supermarket shopping each week; I'm at Aldi Monday and Friday mornings for 7:45 sitting in the car park reading my bibles; Screwfix or Toolstation ready for opening time at 8:00. Next I pop into Home Bargains nearby; then round to Morrison's by 8:20. Morrison's is the worst of the lot at the checkouts with all the coupons; saver stamps; school stamps and loyalty card etc; sometimes I age a lot whilst customers get this lot sorted out in front of me then the light goes on due to a problem; GRRRRRRR; I pay cash and out as quick as possible; I never use self checkouts. I take a shopping list arranged in store order and in order of shelves so after the three supermarkets my quickest time is to be back home at 8:30. No impulse buying and each time Morrison's rearrange their store it takes me longer because I stick to my list. I take Bron to the stores for retail therapy and enjoy wandering around with her but supermarket shopping I do as quick as possible leaving Bron at home.

Bron's already kindly asked of me what I would like for Christmas; this is a hard question to answer because I've got everything I need; 100 cube of green oak would be nice then I could air dry it? Rather than buy Bron a surprise prezzie for Christmas or special occasions I simply ask Bron which stores she would like to visit giving her plenty of cash; this works for us both because then we get exactly what we want; OK it's not romantic but better than buying wrong prezzies? :thumbleft:

Kind regards, Col.

SOME PEOPLE ARE SO POOR ALL THEY HAVE IS MONEY.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:37 pm 

Hi,

I've been shopping at Aldi for a few years but recently Aldi has been upsetting me; two lots of bananas; strawberries and one lot of oranges have been rotten when I've brought them home; pointless returning them to Aldi because it's simply not worth the fuel and effort. All appeared OK in the store. Does cheap now mean cheap at Aldi? Usually I have to negotiate staff shelf filling in the area these are sold. :cb

Kind regards, Col.

SOME PEOPLE ARE SO POOR ALL THEY HAVE IS MONEY.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:51 pm 

If you check 'best by' dates (as you should no matter which shop you bu from) you should be ok. Aldi are , imho, better for fruits than the likes of Tesco who sell something either rock hard or stuff that goes mushy the minute you turn your back.

Recently we've had fruit from Aldi that we actually comment on the great quality - something we rarely, if ever, did for other shops.

For this message the author kellys_eye has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:03 pm 
Newly registered Member

These days I think most internet savvy people will compare the likes of Ebay, Amazon, Screwfix etc before they purchase anything, I like to support local companies when I can but at the end of the day when we are all being squeezed the amount of £££'s I've got to part with will usually win. Something I like to do and watch is put a lot of things in my Amazon basket that I'm not in a rush for and watch the price fluctuate, saving them for later you'll notice there can be significant savings to be had by being patient. For example, I've got my eye on an adidas utility bench, when I first saw it it was £75 reduced from £149.99, the following day it was back up to the £149, in the space of about 2 weeks the RRP has changed to £169.99 and the price has changed multiple times in the £90's. Knowing that at one point it was £75 I'm unlikely to ever want to pay more than that.

For this message the author g.nev has received gratitude : Retired

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]