DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIRECTORY | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:33 am

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:57 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi,

Am new here, so first question - is it possible to search the forum to check if others have posted similar queries and stop unnecessary bothering of all you good hardworking people?

Main question - the apartment I am renovating (circa 1919) has beautiful decorative ceiling mouldings, however these have been over painted many times and thus lost much of their detail/crispness. Does anyone know good techniques for removing the old paint and getting back to the plaster without damaging the structure itself?

The more recent paint is, I guess, acrylic (all water-based for sure), and the older layers softer lime-wash of some kind (my knowledge of old paint is pretty limited). In theory, it might be possible to physically strip the paint with a sharp edge, but this would take hundreds of hours and probably damage the plaster.

Picture included does not show detail, but gives an idea.

Any advice on products and methodology most welcome!

Thanks,
Matt

Attachments:
eisenhower living room.jpg
eisenhower living room.jpg [ 27.93 KiB | Viewed 1977 times ]
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

You may not be able to see the full post including pictures unless you register or log in

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:26 pm 

I have restored small plaster mouldings - some irreplaceable plaster roses. The problem is with the holes - which are usually filled up with paint. They can be pretty deep. To bring it back into okay condition using paint stripper and sanding took 1-2 hours. The size was 3 inches square.

If I HAD to do it on the cheap I would buy a small section new - look for long established moulding suppliers in your area, then cast it numerous times in tough Silicone rubber from Teranti (10kg not vinamould) this would save about £1,000 poss more and install it myself saving more again. You might be able to press the originals into clay as well and cast that way - but I have not used that process.

This would give a much better finished product than trying to get the paint off and would take less time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:19 pm 

You can use the search button on the top row under the ads to find threads that you are interested in.

One of the other deccies recommended a paint remover for plaster work before, I've never seen it myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:38 pm 

http://www.cirrus-systems.co.uk/

Ordinary paint stripper wont work too well..and if it does if may be absorbed into the surface of the plaster..

Anyway you do it, its going to be expensive..

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:30 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi Have Brush & doze,

Many thanks for the help and advice!

Best regards,
Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:47 pm 

Did you go for stripping? If so how long did it take?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:03 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi Puma - sorry, I missed thanking you for your advice!

Truth be told, I've not attempted either yet. There are still several major tasks lying ahead (C/H, second fix electrics, plastering, kitchen & bathroom, replacement flooring, suing the blasted upstairs neighbors to allow us to to all the above), and this job is on hold for the moment.

I will try to get hold of the stripper mentioned above - I'm guessing that as it is water-based it should be less likely to damage the plaster substrate, but this will need to be checked.

I'll definitely not replace the existing mouldings - it's a nice enough apartment, but the decoration is fairly standard of its type, and we'll only be there a couple of years. Investment in time and money will have to be proportional!

I'll let you know how I get on, if we ever get that far ...

Matt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:04 pm 

use round and square files to redefine the straight edges and leave the intricate detail as it is unless you have the sort of time on your hands convicts do. It just takes too long but uses the same tools if you feel compelled to do it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:27 pm 

This is worth a look http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/p/PALPA7/

DWD