DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:09 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:03 am 

About a month ago I had my kitchen walls and ceiling reskimmed. It hadn't been touched (even re-emulsioned) since I moved in 34 years ago (yeah, I know) so there were various big cracks in the emulsioned walls, and where the walls meet the ceiling the plaster was crumbling (which made me wonder whether the original plasterer had used tape there). Anyway, I scraped out the loose plaster between walls and ceiling and scraped off any flaking emulsion paint on the walls, although most of it was not flaking so I left it on. Anyway, the plasterer came and did what looks like a good job. The thing is, I've been reading online forums about emulsioning over reskims and in passing I've come across a couple of posts where it says that you should remove emulsion paint before reskimming. The plasterer came to give me an estimate but he didn't tell me I needed to scrape off all the emulsion paint first. Obviously, it's too late now but I just wondered: Is that correct? Nothing I can do at this stage but it's a bit worrying.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:52 am 

Zacccc wrote:
About a month ago I had my kitchen walls and ceiling reskimmed. It hadn't been touched (even re-emulsioned) since I moved in 34 years ago (yeah, I know) so there were various big cracks in the emulsioned walls, and where the walls meet the ceiling the plaster was crumbling (which made me wonder whether the original plasterer had used tape there). Anyway, I scraped out the loose plaster between walls and ceiling and scraped off any flaking emulsion paint on the walls, although most of it was not flaking so I left it on. Anyway, the plasterer came and did what looks like a good job. The thing is, I've been reading online forums about emulsioning over reskims and in passing I've come across a couple of posts where it says that you should remove emulsion paint before reskimming. The plasterer came to give me an estimate but he didn't tell me I needed to scrape off all the emulsion paint first. Obviously, it's too late now but I just wondered: Is that correct? Nothing I can do at this stage but it's a bit worrying.

You said that you removed all flaking emulsion material and of course your plasterer will have been aware of this.
Although I would ask you if he applied a coat of Unibond to your Ceiling and walls before he started skimming?

I have re-skimmed more previously decorated walls and ceilings than I care to remember, and have not been called back to one of them. But I have always applied Unibond diluted as advised on the container, prior to starting skimming!
My feeling is 'stop worrying'.

For this message the author davyp1 has received gratitude : Zacccc
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:42 am 

I don't know if he applied Unibond but he did seem very experienced and professional so I now feel somewhat reassured by your comments. Thanks for that.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:04 am 

Zacccc wrote:
The thing is, I've been reading online forums about emulsioning over reskims and in passing I've come across a couple of posts where it says that you should remove emulsion paint before reskimming.

Don't believe everything you read :wink: I agree with Davyp1, you need to stop worrying :thumbright:

SN :occasion5:

For this message the author Saint Nick has received thanks - 2: james232, Zacccc