A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:45 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Reroof or repair?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:34 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi all, greatly appreciate any help.

We bought a Victorian (c1840) terrace in October last year fully aware it had issues with the roof (timbers with woodworm, damp staining to some), loose ridge tiles, front chimney with no flashing and bedding has perished/come away, historic leak but now dry to rear chimney, and a small leak at the front of the property.

I've had 3 roofers out over the weekend to provide quotes for fixing the issues. Apart from the rear chimney, the rear of the roof looks in much better condition to the front - the only thing all three roofers agreed on.

The adjoining property has a different roof level and pitch, yet the tiles overlap from one roof to the other (that's the side the leak is on) which makes diagnosing it difficult I expect. If a photo would help let me know.

The quotes I've had are as follows, I'm really unsure which approach is the best to take and would appreciate some thoughts:

1. £1650 exc VAT
supply scaffold, remove entire front slope of tiles
Fit new membrane, battens and tile support system
relay tiles including breakage allowance
flashing on chimney to front
new dry ridge system
lead flashing on divide with next door

2. £700 exc VAT
Remove bottom corner 1x1m tiles and replace to repair leak
Repoint around chimney

3. £1550 exc VAT
Guaranteed to fix the leak whatever is necessary, as it can't be judged where the leak is coming from based on the location of the damp area given the age of the property and the complexity of the roof with nextdoor.

My thoughts are as follows. Quote 2 is a no go - not using scaffold and wasn't of the opinion it was an issue whatsoever, seems expensive for job he wants to do as well. Quote number 3 makes me nervous that it could spiral out of control and that its quite vague. Quote number 1 - some of the purlins were obviously flagged as having woodworm before by the surveyor, is there a likelihood he would want to replace them?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Reroof or repair?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:31 am 

Just saying,
It's not something you really think of with a house but the roof has an expiry date. Ok its not 5 years, some thing like 50+ years, but at some point that time will come, a couple of years ago it was that time for us. We were lucky the main timbers were fine, but all the small cross ones (what ever they are called) and all the "roof under felt" (Probably wrong name) was changed. We went on holiday while it was done, but we know the whole house had scaffold around it, it wasn't cheap (depends where you live) but for us it was well worth it as a roof did have the odd leak, and when you stood well back and compared it to all the neighbours they were all looking in the same sort of rough shape, a couple of years later now, a few of us have had a new roof, those that haven't they don't look too good. (Compared to those of us that have a had a new roof) and FWIW our immediate neighbour had his done 3 years before us. I would get the whole roof done.

Side note. Our flashing was so old it was made of zinc. Now its lead.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link to find out more.

Working on anything electrical? have you got a multi meter? why not? Would you hit a nail with a shoe?

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

For this message the author someone-else has received gratitude : Foxo
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:03 am 
Newly registered Member

Thanks - I think that's broadly in line with my views, but a bit baffled by such entirely different opinions from the roofers who have been out to have a look. None of my neighbours have had a new roof but they all look in a bit of a state, so sounds like a similar situation to yours.

Does anyone know if breathable membrane is a good idea on a Victorian terrace, I've read in places that it's not?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:16 am 

I think you should bite the bullet and have it re-roofed. You will regret throwing money at repairs as they are a substantial sum and big part of the cost of a re-roof. Get a good firm with a guarantee. Not what you wanted to hear I know.

DWD

For this message the author dewaltdisney has received gratitude : Foxo
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:09 pm 

I agree with your own comment on Quotes No's 2 & 3.

With regard to Quote 1, Their is nothing wrong with what he is proposing.
I am also a great believer in re-fixing the existing tiles providing they have not been subject to frost damage and the roofer himself is happy with them. He has already included replacement of broken tiles. You should seriously consider the refixing of existing tiles. It is the price of new which would take the price sky high!
Check that the membrane included in the quote is a breathable one and conforms to current building reg requirements.
I would also check what nails he has allowed for. These can be of Copper, Alloy or Galv Steel. (Preference is in the same order.)

Also you should consider doing all the roof while you are at it!
Ask him to to quote for the remainder to the same standards as mentioned above.

Also, ask why a new Dry Ridge System? What is wrong in reusing and re bedding the original ridge tiles.

He mentions renewal of the Flashing to the Front Chimney. Ask him if this includes a new lead back gutter to the Front chimney.

Also Roofers are not joiners, you would be responsible if any main timbers like purlins or rafters required renewal. Although most Roofers have a joiner they know who would quote for any such work as was necessary.

Davyp1

For this message the author davyp1 has received gratitude : Foxo
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:56 am 
Newly registered Member

Thanks both - general consensus including myself that getting the front redone entirely is the best approach. Firm with that quote have a 10 yr guarantee.

Membrane is confirmed as breathable, I'll check on the nails. The front chimney actually straddles the roofline, so I assume a lead back gutter isn't relevant.

And the new ridge system is because at least 2 of the ridge tiles are cracked, and 1 is warped - visible from ground level, presume others may have damage.

Regarding doing the whole roof - that's the plan eventually, but the back is complex, with 2 separate valleys, the rear chimney and a small rear slope, plus then an extension which may need further work soon - will get a quote though as aware he has a quote stands for 12mths statement on his quotes.