Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:27 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: Replacing fallen tiles
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:02 pm 

I have to replace number of tiles in my wet room on ground floor. Please see photo. The extension was done in 2006 so not happy tiles coming of so soon.
As in the pic the wall is plaster, do I need to apply PVA or anything else to ensure adhesion of new tiles? I am using ready made adhesive as in photo.
Also the vinyl flooring and trim in that area is loose,as in photo, what adhesive/glue do I need to fix it?

Attachments:
bath3.jpg
bath3.jpg [ 195.65 KiB | Viewed 729 times ]
bath2.jpg
bath2.jpg [ 320.36 KiB | Viewed 729 times ]
bath1.jpg
bath1.jpg [ 257.81 KiB | Viewed 729 times ]
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:12 pm 

you have flash coving, sheet vinyl with a heavy black plastic capping.
The water has got down the back of the capping and behind the vinyl upstand.
If you have wood cove stick it could be starting to rot.
The cove should have coving stick at the floor wall junction to ease the 90 bend. The best capping in a wet installation is SS capping.
Theres a better way to cove a wet install without using capping but its too involved to discuss here.

The penetrating water has probably got under the main field of the vinyl beyond the cove.
The possibility is that the moisture wicked in where the tile grout or silicone sealant meets the capping.
Having said that, the adhesive pattern on the wall is poor and the wrong adhesive has been used.
Correct adhesive is bagged powder that you mix - dont use that ready mix unibond you've bought.

The odds are that your tile installation is failing.
It will need a professional to deal with the capping and detaching flooring. If you break the inside corner weld you've got further problems.

Tile in wet areas should not be stuck to gypsum plaster - you should use render or backer board.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:20 pm 

wes56 wrote:
you have flash coving, sheet vinyl with a heavy black plastic capping.
The water has got down the back of the capping and behind the vinyl upstand.
The cove should have coving stick at the floor wall junction to ease the 90 bend. The best capping in a wet installation is SS capping.
Theres a better way to cove a wet install without using capping but its too involved to discuss here.

The penetrating water has probably got under the main field of the vinyl beyond the cove.
The possibility is that the moisture wicked in where the tile grout or silicone sealant meets the capping.
Having said that, the adhesive pattern on the wall is poor and the wrong adhesive has been used.
Correct adhesive is bagged powder that you mix - dont use that ready mix unibond you've bought.

The odds are that your tile installation is failing.
It will need a professional to deal with the capping and detaching flooring. If you break the inside corner weld you've got further problems.

Tile in wet areas should not be stuck to gypsum plaster - you should use render or backer board.

I am going to do the work myself to the best of my diy ability. Basically use adhesive/glue to secure vinyl and capping to the plastered wall. Then put tiles on and grout then silicone edges where tile meet the capping and the where the two walls meet. There was no silicone before, I added in some places few years ago.
How do I render plaster?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:34 pm 

wes56 wrote:

No there is no wood cove stick. The vinyl was glued to concrete floor.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:50 pm 

You dont render over plaster you hack the plaster off back to brick, and then apply the render.
Your exposed plaster looks to be damp. Nothing will stick to a damp backing whether its a wall or a floor.
From what you say, you seem to be out of your depth but given you probably have a solid floor no excessive harm can come in the short term.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:47 pm 

wes56 wrote:
Your exposed plaster looks to be damp. Nothing will stick to a damp backing whether its a wall or a floor.

The plaster wall is VERY dry, never damp. The floor is concrete.
The main reason tiles falling is bad builder. Look at the photo of the fallen tiles, they hardly have any adhesive.

Attachments:
bath4.jpg
bath4.jpg [ 429.46 KiB | Viewed 680 times ]