DIY Forum

 

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

 

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

 

 

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:03 am
Visit Thermo worx


Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]




 

 


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Replacement Bay Windows
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 10:38 am 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 5:50 pm
Posts: 17
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 0 times
Hi Guys

A double glazing company has measured and manufactured bay (one large and two smaller windows) double glazing windows. The result is that the bay window is the wrong size. What the installer has done in his second attempt is add strips to the frame to reduce the gap (about 12cm), then remove the sills, move the frame in slightly, this has reduced the gap, but this has left other issues. The finish between the frame and beading has gaps, the joining pole is set back leaving a cavity. Too much of the frame has been covered up by a finishing strip (the company has said this is within their installation standards). They haven't been able to replace the existing sills, they took most of them away.


We took pictures as the installation was in progress.

Thanks in advance for your advice.


Attachments:
Window 1.JPG
Window 1.JPG [ 20.44 KiB | Viewed 2034 times ]
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:01 am 
Offline
Troll Headbutter
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:20 pm
Posts: 8052
Location: On top of a mountain, in the long grass.
Has thanked: 554 times
Been thanked: 1041 times
Which company?

That's shocking....have you paid them? :lol:

BG

_________________
Arguing with a woman is like reading a Software Licence Agreement.
In the end, you ignore everything and click "I agree".



For this message the author BillyGoat has received gratitude : teams
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:36 am 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 5:50 pm
Posts: 17
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 0 times
Thanks for responding Billy, it's one of the big four, they are members of a federation. I'm just cautious in naming them as this is a live issue. The double glazing was sold to my elderly parents, there's a story to that too.They have been fully paid for.
They are going on about 'to their standards' etc. Adding upvc strips to the frame, doesn't sound right, can they do that?

BillyGoat wrote:
Which company?

That's shocking....have you paid them? :lol:

BG


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:52 am 
Offline
Troll Headbutter
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:20 pm
Posts: 8052
Location: On top of a mountain, in the long grass.
Has thanked: 554 times
Been thanked: 1041 times
teams wrote:
Thanks for responding Billy, it's one of the big four, they are members of a federation. I'm just cautious in naming them as this is a live issue. The double glazing was sold to my elderly parents, there's a story to that too.They have been fully paid for.
They are going on about 'to their standards' etc. Adding upvc strips to the frame, doesn't sound right, can they do that?

BillyGoat wrote:
Which company?

That's shocking....have you paid them? :lol:

BG


Makes sense to keep it under your hat - although, it's certainly a bargaining chip later in the game.

Is there a contract or agreement? I'd certainly reject them, they have clearly been made incorrectly.

Have the other two been installed that way too? If not, then that goes to argue your case (not that you should need too) that they have been made differently/incorrectly!

Sure a bead or trim to finish it off, but a hole that big??? What did they even put inside it for heatloss, etc - shocking.

BG

_________________
Arguing with a woman is like reading a Software Licence Agreement.
In the end, you ignore everything and click "I agree".



For this message the author BillyGoat has received gratitude : teams
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 2:29 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 1870
Location: Kent, Land of Apples and PYO
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 376 times
time to get it inspected, send pics to fensa too, and get trading standards involved

that look like a typical sub-contracter bodge



For this message the author flash22 has received gratitude : teams
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:19 pm 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:49 pm
Posts: 22186
Location: hants/dorset border
Has thanked: 1319 times
Been thanked: 3325 times
flash22 wrote:
time to get it inspected, send pics to fensa

that look like a typical sub-contracter bodge


FENSA won't give a toss..... Trading standards are far too busy and underfunded.. what other schemes are these *fitters* a member of ??

_________________
Verwood Handyman

Verwood Handyman


___________________________________________________________________

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/



For this message the author wine~o has received gratitude : teams
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:22 pm 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:04 pm
Posts: 7463
Location: Fife
Has thanked: 939 times
Been thanked: 1721 times
Name and shame and share it on Facebook or whatever other social media you have access too.
That's cowboy stuff and I'm sure if you plaster that image over Facebook you'll very quickly get recompense.



For this message the author steviejoiner74 has received gratitude : teams
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:01 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:19 pm
Posts: 364
Has thanked: 70 times
Been thanked: 84 times
If they are registered with FENSA then please call fensa. You should no way paid in full they can have a deposit but you hold the rest till happy, usually by a set time after completion. It looks like new windows the correct size is needed.
Nothing wrong with added small extra pieces called knock ons to the frame , this is usually done so the frame isn't lost behind plaster.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:29 pm 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:04 pm
Posts: 7463
Location: Fife
Has thanked: 939 times
Been thanked: 1721 times
:withstupid: add-ons are fine and if it's one of the big firms like you've mentioned they'll not have taken all the money yet.
The joiner that was their to install the Windows shouldn't even have started the bay. I've fitted many hundreds of Windows and the first thing you do is check the thing will fit before you tear the old one out!! If it's the wrong size you leave alone. I've had to leave 4 or 5 this year alone as they've been measured/manufactured wrong.
Name and shame!!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:39 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:19 pm
Posts: 364
Has thanked: 70 times
Been thanked: 84 times
Yes I always check the paper work matches the style and the size matches , measure frame and opening and double check, also show the customer the style to make sure what I'm fitting is what there expecting.
Bay windows always take along time and does often require pieces where frame meets brick, with the old timber this can be cut and shaped more easily, with upvc the sections can't be cut like that so fill pieces timber ect then trim is used but you aim to get the bay segments as tight as possible .
If the sill didn't fit I wouldn't fit the frames without and try and fit at a later date makes for a shoddy job



For this message the author Thewindowguy has received gratitude : teams
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:07 am 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 5:50 pm
Posts: 17
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 0 times
Hi BillyGoat,

Billy there is a contract and we've sent them a Consumer Rights Act letter. They've sent back a 5 sentence letter, saying it's within there standards. It's a Bay Window, from left to right, one large window, then you have two small windows, side by side, thats the bay. This is for one bedroom window.

I'll post the other pics later today.

BillyGoat wrote:
teams wrote:
Thanks for responding Billy, it's one of the big four, they are members of a federation. I'm just cautious in naming them as this is a live issue. The double glazing was sold to my elderly parents, there's a story to that too.They have been fully paid for.
They are going on about 'to their standards' etc. Adding upvc strips to the frame, doesn't sound right, can they do that?

BillyGoat wrote:
Which company?

That's shocking....have you paid them? :lol:

BG


Makes sense to keep it under your hat - although, it's certainly a bargaining chip later in the game.

Is there a contract or agreement? I'd certainly reject them, they have clearly been made incorrectly.

Have the other two been installed that way too? If not, then that goes to argue your case (not that you should need too) that they have been made differently/incorrectly!

Sure a bead or trim to finish it off, but a hole that big??? What did they even put inside it for heatloss, etc - shocking.

BG


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:10 am 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 5:50 pm
Posts: 17
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 0 times
The company are members of the GGF. Fensa, GGF all operate from the same office.


wine~o wrote:
flash22 wrote:
time to get it inspected, send pics to fensa

that look like a typical sub-contracter bodge


FENSA won't give a toss..... Trading standards are far too busy and underfunded.. what other schemes are these *fitters* a member of ??


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:21 am 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 5:50 pm
Posts: 17
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 0 times
At the first attempt to install, the installer was going to install them without the 'Knock-on's as can be seen in the first post,
we pointed out that the new measured/manufacturred bay window is too small. He went out to contact his field manager, came back and said he can't get hold of him. Then he made a second attempt by adding 'Knock-on's' and removing the sills then moving the two small windows in. That's why they couldn't replace the old sills, it also give the poor finish, the cavities.

Thewindowguy wrote:
If they are registered with FENSA then please call fensa. You should no way paid in full they can have a deposit but you hold the rest till happy, usually by a set time after completion. It looks like new windows the correct size is needed.
Nothing wrong with added small extra pieces called knock ons to the frame , this is usually done so the frame isn't lost behind plaster.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:35 am 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:19 pm
Posts: 364
Has thanked: 70 times
Been thanked: 84 times
so we are talking about a 3 part bay?
Are the company saying there happy with the install?
If so say you're not and would like to see the installation manager.
Really by the sounds of it they need to start again



For this message the author Thewindowguy has received gratitude : teams
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 1:15 pm 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 5:50 pm
Posts: 17
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 0 times
Window 1 - First attempt to install, with sills in place - with huge gap.
Window 2 - Second attempt to install, with sills removed - small windows moved in, gap reduced. original sills no longer fit, they took two of them away.
window 3 - Cavities between window and beading.
Window 4 - Trim covering too much of the frame.
Window 5 - shows the old bay window.


Attachments:
Window 5.JPG
Window 5.JPG [ 20.77 KiB | Viewed 1867 times ]
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next


Similar topics
   

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Visit Hilti


 

 

 

News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list
ultimatehandyman privacy policy

Contact

 

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

phpBB SEO