DIY Forum

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIRECTORY | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:14 pm

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:18 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi,

I am re-painting a room with Artex ceiling. The Artex coat has two little wholes in it (which show the bare plasterboard beneath) and long thin cracks alongside the plasterboard joints. I want to fix/cover up these holes and cracks and repaint the ceiling. How can I do this? I am pretty new to painting and I am scared of the stories of individuals who have a nightmare trying to put white matt coats on existing Artex.

- Baran

You may not be able to see the full post including pictures unless you register or log in

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:34 pm 

Is your Artex the stipple type?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:24 pm 
Newly registered Member

Yes it is the stipple type, with many tiny dots, more like bubbles hanging from the ceiling. And the building is 1980s.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:16 am 

Knock up some filler and cover the hole, whilst the filler is still wet, get an old paintbrush, preferably a stiff one, and slightly damp the bristles, then dab into the filler so you have like a stipple effect, it wont notice once you paint it.

With the cracks its slightly more difficult, as if they are on the plasterboard join, the chances are it will crack again anyway, but here is what I do.....

I open up the crack all way along, make it wider than it is, get a scraper knife, or a ordinary knife and cut along.

Knock up some filler again, and fill this crack, dont fill it too thick, just enough to actually sink into the crack, dont worry if there is still a slight indent showing, as you dont want to fill the crack flush.

When dry, again knock up some filler, go along the crack again, but do a bit at a time, get your brush again, and dab into the filler while its wet, very much like I explained above.

Leave to dry, dont rub or sand these filled areas, but get some emulsion, pour a little into a paint kettle or container of some sort, add a bit of water and stir, then BRUSH with the thinned emulsion onto where you have filled.
Leave to dry then do it again.

Now your ready to paint your ceiling, again pour your paint into a bucket etc, add some water and thin, add about 15-20% water for this, give it a good stire, then your ready to paint.

If you use paint straight from the can you will have problems over the Artex, but thinned you will be fine.
When you come to do your second coat, again thin by about 10%, this is on the assumption your using a good quality paint.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:49 pm 
Newly registered Member

This amazing advice, thanks.

I am a bit nervous to use the scrapper knife to open up the cracks wider, as I have no clue wherher the Artex has asbestos in it or not. This was built in 1980, and the the seller has not run any tests on the ceiling. While the risk might not be high, do you have any suggestions on how I can make sure I am protected?

Last edited by baranozgul on Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:52 pm 
Newly registered Member

Also, when covering the hole where bare plasterboard is visible, should I apply anything on the plasterboard so that the filler sticks?