DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 6:44 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:51 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi,

I need to make a cavity floor repair due to the relocation of some pipework and am just wondering what would be the best mix to use? I have never concreted before so nothing is obvious to me! :) I was wondering if I would need to do anything special as I need it to bond with existing concrete,

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I am having trouble with the picture mod but this link will take you to the Pictures! https://1drv.ms/f/s!AjnJhtmhYMJlhpZmWfHQBA4kbB8DGA

Again Thanks!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:03 pm 

mbc0 wrote:
Hi,

I need to make a cavity floor repair due to the relocation of some pipework and am just wondering what would be the best mix to use? I have never concreted before so nothing is obvious to me! :) I was wondering if I would need to do anything special as I need it to bond with existing concrete,

I am having trouble with the picture mod but this link will take you to the Pictures! https://1drv.ms/f/s!AjnJhtmhYMJlhpZmWfHQBA4kbB8DGA

Again Thanks!

Sorry, but unable to access your photo's through the link you posted!
Could you please have a look in the 'Building' section that you posted your thread, if you look up the ist to the first item, you will see an instruction on how to post photographs.
Will be happy to comment on your problem as soon as I have seen some photos.

Davyp1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:18 pm 
Newly registered Member

davyp1 wrote:
mbc0 wrote:
Hi,

Again Thanks!

Sorry, but unable to access your photo's through the link you posted!
Could you please have a look in the 'Building' section that you posted your thread, if you look up the ist to the first item, you will see an instruction on how to post photographs.
Will be happy to comment on your problem as soon as I have seen some photos.

Davyp1

Many Thanks davyp1, as I stated in the original post I couldn't get it to work, I have reloaded windows since due to other issues and it seems to have resolved this issue too!

Attachments:
File comment: Picture 1
small2.jpg
small2.jpg [ 98.38 KiB | Viewed 447 times ]
File comment: Picture 2
small1.jpg
small1.jpg [ 99.16 KiB | Viewed 447 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:25 pm 

Thanks for the photo.
Your floor repair just involves the 'Floor Screed' which is just the top 70mm or so which is laid to levels with a finish.
The 'Screed' for your repair consists of 'Sharp Sand' and Cement mixed at a ratio of 4:1 (Sand/cement)
his is first mixed dry and then small amounts of water is added until a stiff mix is achieved. keep picking up a small handful up (about the size of a walnut). When this holds together when squeezed, the mix is ready.

Protect all your piping which is visible using thin celotex or similar held in place with duct tape or similar.
    Apply PVA (mix as stated on the container for priming) and paint all vertican surfaces of the existing screed.
    Using a trowel, place the mix in all the voids and pack down using a plastic float just proud of existing level.
    Then using a short piece of wood (say 4x1 about 2ft long) rule across the areas moving the wood from side to side as you go.
    The last opp should have leveled it off, fill any voids by dropping a bit more mix in by hand.
    Stroke accros the repaired area using a steel float until you are happy with the finish.

Davyp1

For this message the author davyp1 has received gratitude : mbc0
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:07 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thank you so much for an incredibly detailed reply! I really appreciate the time you have taken to do this for me!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:55 am 

mbc0 wrote:
Thank you so much for an incredibly detailed reply! I really appreciate the time you have taken to do this for me!

Your welcome!
One little point that I did not mention.
When you place your Screed in place, the PVA primer needs to be still wet, so feel free to paint the vertical sections of the existing screed again if it has dried out.

Davyp1

For this message the author davyp1 has received gratitude : mbc0
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:56 am 
Newly registered Member

Perfect, I will do!

Many Thanks Again! :-)