DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:41 pm
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: Render over paint
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:37 pm 
Newly registered Member

I have seen a lot of variations and recommendations of what to do, but I am unsure because of the results I am getting.

Basically we bought a house two years ago and in order for things to look pretty for the sale the garage was painted white. It's breeze block and the paint is fixed well and hard. I tried burning it off, nope and grinder with a flap disk gives the results in the photos.

I don't like how smooth it is going with the grinder.

It's letting in water, the inside is wet about one third up the wall and I already had to dig 3 feet or so of dirt and stone from on top of slabs around it to stop the black mould, also it was inclined towards the garage so all the runoff everything was directed in.

This is an expense I did not expect to have and it's the usual, what's the cheapest way and what's the best? Unfortunately I am also more or less limited to B&Q stuff.

Attachment:
20181015_185110 - Copy2.jpg
20181015_185110 - Copy2.jpg [ 366.78 KiB | Viewed 409 times ]

Attachment:
20181015_185124 - Copy2.jpg
20181015_185124 - Copy2.jpg [ 340.17 KiB | Viewed 409 times ]

Attachment:
20181015_185134 - Copy2.jpg
20181015_185134 - Copy2.jpg [ 188.9 KiB | Viewed 409 times ]

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Render over paint
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:16 pm 

:welcomeuhm:

I am not sure I am going to be of any help but for starters I don't understand the problem apart from the wall getting wet. Forget burning off the paint or grinding it off ... if it is not flaking nothing you can do about it, or that you don't have other than B&Q near you. Can you break down the following please in something that is clear(er).

Quote:
It's letting in water, the inside is wet about one third up the wall and I already had to dig 3 feet or so of dirt and stone from on top of slabs around it to stop the black mould, also it was inclined towards the garage so all the runoff everything was directed in.

Can you tell if the water/rain penetrates through the wall half way up?
If you dug 3 feet (depth width?) or rubble whatever why? Outside yes?
Where is the black mould, outside or inside? Got to be inside but just askin...

Where I am getting at is whether you got rising damp or the water penetrates the wall and goes downwards. I can't add much to a building issue I would only take a pot shot at suggesting a type of masonry paint which may or may not help. :dunno:

FYI there is a similar thread here but no obvious solution to the problem.

For this message the author OchAye has received gratitude : Tayonas
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:08 pm 
Newly registered Member

I want to render the wall, but it is painted so I need to know how to prep it. That's basically all, I hope.

The black mould etc. should disappear now I have dug out the walls. They had filled around the garage with dirt, slabs, weed membrane and stones. I thought removing that initially would have stopped the water coming through.

I was just saying how much of a nightmare this is. The thing is the garage was well built and had its own perimeter fence around it, they ignored it and I am paying for it :(

Attachment:
20181017_115515 - Copy2.jpg
20181017_115515 - Copy2.jpg [ 472.14 KiB | Viewed 340 times ]

Attachment:
20181017_115443 - Copy3.jpg
20181017_115443 - Copy3.jpg [ 292.81 KiB | Viewed 340 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:48 pm 

I am sorry I am not into renders at all, I cannot offer anything useful.

Nothing you can do about removing the paint, it may be the case that you have to use something to help the bond, e.g. SBR although it is used for stopping porosity, or if you feel like it and you intend to DIY the render browse the Everbuild/Sika website where they have lots of additives (under building products).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:27 pm 

The problem with rendering over paint is whatever product you use to prep prior to rendering(sbr and the like) it’s only as good as the paint underneath and ultimately that’s what’s holding everything after you apply to the wall.
To guarantee the work I’ve only ever seen plasterers insist on sandblasting the paint off first or they’ll never guarantee the work.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:22 pm 

One other way I have seen done is to fix stainless exmet over the whole wall and then render it .

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:24 am 
Newly registered Member

Sandblasting is almost as expensive as getting someone in to do the rendering, nearly 600 for the blasting and 600 for the rendering.

It will cost less than 200 for materials and me to do it myself -and it's the same for wood.

I attacked it with a knotted steel brush on it yesterday and this stuff is burning before it is moving, in some places it has taken it down to the block but really on the majority of it all I am doing is making things worse I think by giving it a smooth, though porous surface.

So I think what I will do is mortar work with the brush and use a cutting disk to put a few wavy lines on each block. The paint isn't too heavy so there are plenty of nooks and crannies.

I don't want to use mesh because that will just be something else that can go wrong, one wall gets the full pelt of the sun all day.

I'm putting in 2 retaining walls next March (haha weather) so I will get a cheap mixer off Gumtree and a 1.2m darby from somewhere. I already have a hawk, trowel etc. just never done anything this size.

I believe these are 3.5N blocks so a 5:1 with SBR on the scratch and 4:1:1 lime mix on the finish is what I need, I think.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:34 am 

A *Needle Gun* should remove the paint, although their primary purpose is rust removal from metal I've seen them used on brickwork for removing paint. You can hire one if you don't want to buy.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:16 pm 

ayjay wrote:
A *Needle Gun* should remove the paint, although their primary purpose is rust removal from metal I've seen them used on brickwork for removing paint. You can hire one if you don't want to buy.

I've seen that done, a bloke down the road from where we used to live did it. Looked like a heck of a job though. Took them quite a while.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:46 pm 

You could always clad the outside with wood as long as you stop the possibility of rising damp.

What I would have suggested as a cheap(er) possibility was to use this paint - Fine Textured Matt[*] which contains fine sand. I have not used Sandtex but some 45 years ago I used the same type of paint ... it really stuck.

An email to sandtextrade/crowntrade helpline saying clearly that you have painted breeze block that gets wet from the rain, existing paint is holding well, would their paint seal the porosity? And wait and see what they recommend, they might suggest to use something else prior to paint. But if it does not work you might be in bigger trouble than you are now.

I am still puzzled but it does not matter what I am, if the problem is caused top-down by rain or bottom up by rising dampness :dunno:

--
[*] There are other brands too and I got no shares or interest in Crown.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:08 pm 
Newly registered Member

OchAye wrote:
You could always clad the outside with wood as long as you stop the possibility of rising damp.

What I would have suggested as a cheap(er) possibility was to use this which contains fine sand. I have not used Sandtex but some 45 years ago I used the same type of paint ... it really stuck.

An email to sandtextrade/crowntrade helpline saying clearly that you have painted breeze block that gets wet from the rain, existing paint is holding well, would their paint seal the porosity? And wait and see what they recommend, they might suggest to use something else prior to paint. But if it does not work you might be in bigger trouble than you are now.

I am still puzzled but it does not matter what I am, if the problem is caused top-down by rain or bottom up by rising dampness :dunno:

--
[*] There are other brands too and I got no shares or interest in Crown.

Rain gives me a puddle in the middle of the garage, last year it was a lot worse because of everything around the garage. I've dug down to the base and it has a DPM. So all I need is the walls watertight.

For this message the author Tayonas has received gratitude : OchAye