DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIRECTORY | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:55 pm

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:33 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi, breaking my cherry here with my first post :shock:

have looked at the guides which seem great for making up a stud partition but not for removing them.

I live in a brand new 'corner' filler semi, hence the house is effectively in 2 halves, at 45 degrees to each other. The result is a couple of interestingly shaped rooms. Which we like.

My 'lads lounge' upstairs has a large, walk in, double door wardrobe formed by a stud partition wall (around 7 feet in length) which cuts across the corner formed by 2 walls that come together at 45 degrees. Of course the wall contains the frame and double doors.

I don't really need the cupboard, which is awkward to use at best, so I would like to remove the wall and add a handy 30 extra sq feet in which to put a ladies beach volleyball pitch :wink: In the interests of PC balance I would allow the wife to stage mens beach volleyball tournaments there on weekdays.

Are there any hints and tips that I should remember when removing a stud wall (never lived in a house with them before). The wall does have a double socket in it, which I would move back onto the newly revealed bedroom wall.

Tips appreciated. Many thanks

Graham

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

You may not be able to see the full post including pictures unless you register or log in

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:20 pm 

Firstly, make sure that the proposed alteration will not have a detrimental affect on the house that may detract from its value. It might suit you at the moment but a future buyer might think it is naff.

Moving on, check firstly in the loft to see how the rafters lay. If they span this stud wall then you are okay to remove it. If, in the unlikely event is is a load bearing wall then it needs to be approached with far more care.

You will be faced with making good the ceilings and coving but removal is methodical. Strip the facing plasterboard off to reveal studwork. Cut each upright and noggin in half to allow levering out from the top and bottom. A handy tool would be a pry or wrecking bar and a reciprocating saw. Take care with the electrics.

You might have to skim the whole ceiling as infill joints invariably leave a hump.

Hope this helps

DWD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:11 pm 
Jack Of All Trades

And wear a dust mask........it's a *hitty job!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:07 am 
Newly registered Member

The second you mentioned dust mask I reached for the Yellow Pages :-)

Definitely not a load bearer.

Removal of the wall is just removal of a cupboard in effect and will make the room look and feel much bigger even if the actual increase in area is not that great, so I reckon it could only make the property more attractive to a future buyer.

Thanks for the tips.