DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIRECTORY | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:49 am

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:59 pm 
Newly registered Member

HI all,

Was just wondering if anyone out there has any magical ways to remove the old masonry paint before apply the new stuff.

I've been scrapping and using a wire brush and even got a round steel thing that goes on the end of the drill. All these things do work, but seems to be taking forever and I never seem to have got any further!! I've been at it two weeks now and I never seem to get any nearer to finishing and actually apply some new paint!

I probably know the answer is just to keep up the hard work and carry on going but its worth a try ..... someone out there may know a miricle cure!!

I had a thought about using the powerwasher...... what do you think????? or is this a no no ............ any suggestions will be very gratfully accepted!! :grin: :grin:

Cheers Ruby :-)

You may not be able to see the full post including pictures unless you register or log in

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:11 pm 
Pink Admin

Hey Ruby

Ive found a page on here the link is

http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/DECOR ... EMOVAL.htm

They do suggest sand blasting which would be so much quicker. Ive come on here today to find out an easy way to remove paint from the stairs as Im on my 6th layer of Nitromose and am getting no where ha ha. There seems to be no quick answer for indoors but outdoors - sandblast!! Im doing one more layer then Im leaving it for the fella!! Although apparently he is NEVER removing paint ever again.....we will see about that then. Lets see who wears the trousers in my house......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:14 pm 
Pink Admin

Oh my god just remembered - dont power wash as the strength of the water takes out the grout in the bricks or stones in your walls and it will need re-pointing if you blast it all away. Leave the jet wash for the car!!! PS...4 people have read this question and not answered...come on guys wake up!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:31 pm 
BANNED

if the existing stuff is that hard to get off, why can't you just leave it on and paint over it?

if you need to get it off, sandblasting is the quickest way but can damage the surface underneath.

Alternatively you can get chemical strippers from here:

http://www.stripperspaintremovers.com/

i used one of their products on part of my house which was painted white, and i wanted to get the bricks back to how they were. Their product was the only thing that i found that could do the job, although it was very messy and expensive. Also i had to repoint the brickwork afterwards as it didn't get all the paint off the mortar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:20 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thx for the replies :grin: