DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:51 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:01 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi,

I am looking to remove a non load bearing brick wall to merge a pantry/utility area and kitchen.

I have had a structural engineer confirm that it is indeed not bearing any loads so I am assuming that I will be able to knock this through myself and save some money on the labour side of things.

However it has been said to me by someone else that I would still need to install a Lintel or the ceiling will sag.

Does this sound correct? The wall will be removed in its entirety so there will be no doorway/bricks above needing support. Therefore I assumed no Lintel would have been necessary.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:21 pm 

grant89uk wrote:
Hi,

I am looking to remove a non load bearing brick wall to merge a pantry/utility area and kitchen.

I have had a structural engineer confirm that it is indeed not bearing any loads so I am assuming that I will be able to knock this through myself and save some money on the labour side of things.

However it has been said to me by someone else that I would still need to install a Lintel or the ceiling will sag.

Does this sound correct? The wall will be removed in its entirety so there will be no doorway/bricks above needing support. Therefore I assumed no Lintel would have been necessary.

As you say , you have a definitive statement from a SE that the wall is not load-bearing.
Then why would you even consider what this "other person " has said. What are the other persons qualifications, my guess is that he could be a Baker or perhaps a Milk man.

I'm assuming that this wall is on the ground floor? If so, take a couple of floor-boards up and check for yourself.

Davyp1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:49 pm 
Newly registered Member

The wall is on the ground floor and yes I have had the floor boards up.

The structural engineer has said that its definitely not load bearing, however he didn't mention any specific need for a lintel.

My question is thus, when removing a non load bearing wall should a lintel still be installed or is this nonsense.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:27 pm 

Taking what the structural engineer said (I guess in a written report), when you remove all the bricks that make up the wall, there should be nothing left above the wall, so nothing that needs supporting. The ceiling should be tied to the joists not to the wall so I don't see how it would sag. But if you want something to worry about is the wall perhaps helping keep other walls in place?

Taking a different approach, if you keep asking - and I am not criticising you for that - are you confident enough in doing the job yourself? To me it does not seem as you will save that much money by doing part of the demolition work youself. You can still ask the builders to demolish and add your labour in taking away what comes out from the wall. Just a thought...