DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:01 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: Removing internal walls
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:06 am 
Newly registered Member

Hello new to the forum. I am looking to remove some internal walls in my house and would like some advice, first of if it is even structurally possible. It's a 3 level end terrace house and I want to remove to walls on bottom level,the walls are made from celcon insulation blocks and plastered one side on the other side is a void with an open space which I would like to make open plan. On my building plans it does not describe the walls as load bearing but I'm sure they are. Would itself possible and if so how would o go about it once I get planning permission? Thank you in advance

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:49 am 

I have no idea, but I do know pictures will help. See my signature for more info.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:55 pm 
Newly registered Member

Not sure if this reply was spam or genuine but it didn't really answer the question. Of anyone can help it would be great, I have the building plans if that helps?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:10 pm 
Newly registered Member

Nobody can really tell from your text description whether it is feasible or how you'll need to go about it.
The only real way is to be there to look at it and possibly give it a poke, photos are the second option, hence the suggestion was made for some photographs as that will at least help a bit.
If you have the plans then post them, more information is always better.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:36 pm 
Newly registered Member

Ok i will try to add the plans now it won't let me add it as an image says the pixels are to high so I will add as a file maybe somebody can help if they take a look at the plans, thanks for your advice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:38 pm 
Newly registered Member

Plans, mine is plot 20

Attachments:
Floor plans plots 18-20.pdf [2.35 MiB]
Downloaded 44 times
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:38 pm 

andrewjones080385 wrote:
Ok i will try to add the plans now it won't let me add it as an image says the pixels are to high so I will add as a file maybe somebody can help if they take a look at the plans, thanks for your advice

I already told you

someone-else wrote:
but I do know pictures will help. See my signature for more info.

If you look it also has a link that tells you how to reduce picture size.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:06 pm 
Newly registered Member

Ok thank you I have added the plot building plans above as attached file in pdf mine is the end terrace house on the plans it's the one on the right (plot 20). Im looking to remove 1 internal wall on thr kitchen and the other which is connected to open up the void, hope somebody will be able to let me know by looking at this I will try to add pictures aswel. Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:09 pm 
Old School Chippie

In all probability the main structural walls will be the "gable end" walls (i.e. the walls between the houses) and the front and rear walls. The question I need to ask is, which direction do the floor joists run in? I suspect it will be side to side, between the "gables end" walls but without knowing that it's not possible to guess further. Be aware that a double skin blockwork wall can be used to carry loads such as joist ends, so a few photos might help here

OK, I'm an "old school" chippie, so please don't ask me to do a bodge job - I didn't bring my horse today and in any case you don't seem to have a hitching rail!

For this message the author Job and Knock has received gratitude : andrewjones080385
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:36 am 
Newly registered Member

Thanks Job and Knock how would I know which way the floor joists are? What pictures would you need to be able to thave a better guess? I am unable to access the void area behind the walls as there is no entrance to it, would pictures of the dining room and ceiling where the wall is be OK?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:40 am 

One way is to look under the floor covering upstairs. You may well have chipboard floors and you might be able to tell from the pattern of the nails where the joists are. Take down a ground floor ceiling light fitting as these will usually be fixed to a joist. You might be able to see the direction of the joist through the hole for the cable. :thumbright:

Thinking about this a bit more if they are load bearing walls then it is a notifiable job to remove them under building control. I would ring up your local council building control and have a chat. They will probably have knowledge of the build and they could probably direct you without you trying to find it yourself. To all intents an purposes it would be a good guess that the joists span the two gable walls but you cannot take it for granted. Best check with BC.

DWD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:30 am 
Newly registered Member

Thank you for your input, so if the joists run side to side as in from the shortest distance of the house would that mean the walls would be less likely load bearing. I am having trouble adding pictures, issues with regards resizing them.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:10 am 

Logically yes, but you need to know for sure. Looking a little closer at this these houses appear to be split level and built into the hillside. I cannot understand the void area, what reason was this not made habitable? This suggests to me that given the hillside location these walls could actually be more than simple partitions. You need to really check this out is my feeling on reflection.

Building Control have a full set of plans submitted by the developer so it should be straight forward for them to check those if they can be arsed to get up and look. Sometimes you can check out the historical documents on the online planning enquiry at your council. Are the developers contactable? I think building control is your best bet. :thumbright:

DWD

For this message the author dewaltdisney has received gratitude : andrewjones080385
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:16 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks dealtdisney, yes your correct it is built into a hill, I believe that the developers mentioned to me briefly they could not make it a room as there was issues when they built the plots they were only allowed to make a certain amount of 4 bedroom properties, I am looking to make that level all open plan so not looking to make another room unless they tell me this is my only option but I do believe if it was an inclosed room it would require a window which would not be possible being on a hill. I know there is a retaining wall there but don't think this is an issue as we have part of the back wall usable as a lavatory. Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:49 pm 

Please come back and update the situation, I find this intriguing.

Good luck

DWD

For this message the author dewaltdisney has received gratitude : andrewjones080385