DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:02 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:54 pm 
Old School Chippie

Now we know that the buildings are on a heavily sloping site, the drawings make a lot more sense. If the walls you propose to remove were single skin then it would be highly unlikely that they would be structural. Being double skinned makes for a bit more of a conundrum (I have seen double-skinned lightweight blocks being used to support lightly-loaded floors a couple of times, but equally it might just be that the blocks used were insulation faced and that the builder was just trying to get the U-values up). On the floor above those walls are there any other partition walls (and would you be able to publish a floor plan of that floor as well?)

OK, I'm an "old school" chippie, so please don't ask me to do a bodge job - I didn't bring my horse today and in any case you don't seem to have a hitching rail!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

For this message the author Job and Knock has received gratitude : andrewjones080385
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:24 pm 

Job and Knock wrote:
On the floor above those walls are there any other partition walls (and would you be able to publish a floor plan of that floor as well?)

I think you missed the PDFs posted by the OP (which I read but I could not find any load bearing walls according to the legend of the drawings ... and decided to keep quiet). Here are the PDFs in case you can make more of them PDFs

For this message the author OchAye has received gratitude : andrewjones080385
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:36 am 
Newly registered Member

To jobandknock, as ochaye mentioned I added a pdf of the floor plans if you click it it will show you all the floor plans for all 3 levels of the house. Above the 2 walls I wish to remove there are partition walls and a narrow hallway but if you look at the key it does not describe any of these as loadbearing only the main outside walls. All I'm wondering is if I was to open up the void and remove rhe2 block walls what sort of support would it need. I have contacted my local building control officer and showed him the plans still waiting for a response. Does anybody know if I request an inspection are there usually charges for that. As I don't want to waist time asking for planning permission if the job can not be done.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:44 am 

Normally BC will give free advice but you may have to submit an application if it is found that what you want to do is notifiable. You really need this as when you come to sell in the future you will need the BC signed off if there any structural issues.

My feeling on this is that it is a stabilising wall due to the hillside build. The front wall you can see has a concrete retaining wall which presumably rests on a foundation or more likely piling. That will be the main strength of the structure. I suspect that there is a rubble fill behind this wall to give a support or a backfill of some sort.

I do not think that you find an easily convertible space behind the wall.

DWD

For this message the author dewaltdisney has received thanks - 3: andrewjones080385, Job and Knock, OchAye
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:29 am 

dewaltdisney wrote:
I do not think that you find an easily convertible space behind the wall.
Tick! Which probably answers the question why not make it all an open plan in the first place which would have kept them limited to 3 bedroom properties or whatever was agreed.

To the OP. You have an address and telephone numbers on the PDF. Is there no chance of paying them a visit and asking? (... and keeping us informed ... this is better than murder, mystery suspense thriller).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:53 pm 
Newly registered Member

I have received feedback from the local duty building control officer who had a look over the plans and he confirms the walls are loadbearing as they are connected to the retaining wall. Obviously this would not be a straight forward job because of the fact it is connected to the retaining wall. There could also be issues with the foundations.He confirmed that I would also have to maintain the 30 minute fire restraint area around the stair well which I just don't know how this would be possible if I wanted to make the area open plan. He confirmed i would also have to make any new area waterproof and insulated. Not sure if that would be to hard as I could just build a new wall with celcon blocks. If anybody has any ideas and input into the best way I could utilise this void space it would be much appreciated. Think the idea of making this whole area open plan just got alot harder. Thank you all for your input.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:15 pm 

It would be an idea to drill an exploratory hole through to have a look what is in the void. Something like this would do it https://www.miniinthebox.com/8mm-lens-w ... m=2.1.92.0

DWD

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:48 pm 

I don't know which plans every one has access to, only ones I can find are all duplicate bedroom plans.
Is there a drawing showing walls which need to come down, and where is this hidden void.

Without seeing anything get a structural engineer to design steel work, they over rule bco and know what they are doing

For this message the author cotswold builders has received gratitude : andrewjones080385
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:01 pm 

Cots, if you look at the PDF there are three pages you can select on the up and down arrows. There are a ground, middle and top floor. The ground is built into the hill and the built in void 'room' is to the rear.

DWD

For this message the author dewaltdisney has received gratitude : cotswold builders
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:39 pm 
Newly registered Member

To cotsworld buildings,near the start of the post i attached a pdf of the floor plans, the void I am looking to open up is on the bottom level adjacent to the dining room, you will see two celcon block walls, they are what I'm looking to remove. Does anybody know of any services where you can get advice from a constructual engineer? I'm presuming they can be very expensive, even just for advice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:47 pm 

Tried on another computer but its on the side, each time I click the arrow it comes out of uhm.
Is the room your trying to get to, looks like a garage or the L shaped room.

Probably best to try local for a S/E, do you know any local architects that can direct you.

Also mod tried thanking dewalt for the links, but keeps coming up as invalid thanks

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:45 pm 
Old School Chippie

OchAye wrote:
Job and Knock wrote:
On the floor above those walls are there any other partition walls (and would you be able to publish a floor plan of that floor as well?)

I think you missed the PDFs posted by the OP (which I read but I could not find any load bearing walls according to the legend of the drawings ... and decided to keep quiet). Here are the PDFs in case you can make more of them PDFs

I saw it, but cannot open more than a single floor. Just downloading a number of Windows 10 patches and a newer version of Adobe's PDF viewer now to see if that corrects the situation. Thank you for making me aware that my computer was on the fritz..... again :thumbright:

OK, I'm an "old school" chippie, so please don't ask me to do a bodge job - I didn't bring my horse today and in any case you don't seem to have a hitching rail!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:49 pm 

If you can't view them shout. I can try and save the 3 pages (one per floor) as individual images and post them ... struggling too with those PDFs.

For this message the author OchAye has received gratitude : andrewjones080385
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:54 pm 
Newly registered Member

Yep it's the room that is Square on the bottom floor same level as the dining room you can see on thr plans it has celcon blocks these are the walls I wish to remove surely it can be done. I will try to gain access to this area to find out more, maybe I could look from the room above if I remove a floor board