DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:57 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:37 am 

The DPM would normally come up the side of the concrete oversite and then wrap over the DPC on the inner blockwork, which I think is the way building inspectors like to see it done.

What you have proved is that since there is no dpm layer between the floor screed and inner wall (not that that is wrong), then there is a lateral path for damp to move from the faulty cavity wall across to create the damp on the floor. I would say if you sort out the damp on the cavity wall then you wont have problem on the floor.

Theres no way to know whether the inner dpc and dpm is correctly installed and Im not sure you need to check any further. The floor has insulation below the screed and damp cant easily get up through that.

I think you would be best to assume the floor dampness is due to the inner wall being damp above dpc level.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

For this message the author Notch1 has received gratitude : borderfox100
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:01 pm 
Newly registered Member

Notch1 wrote:
What you have proved is that since there is no dpm layer between the floor screed and inner wall (not that that is wrong), then there is a lateral path for damp to move from the faulty cavity wall across to create the damp on the floor. I would say if you sort out the damp on the cavity wall then you wont have problem on the floor.

Theres no way to know whether the inner dpc and dpm is correctly installed and Im not sure you need to check any further. The floor has insulation below the screed and damp cant easily get up through that.

I think you would be best to assume the floor dampness is due to the inner wall being damp above dpc level.

Thanks once again for your input on this, Notch. I guess I should have explained from the outset, I'm in (Southern) Ireland - so I suppose our regulations - although likely to be very close - may have some small differences.
Here's a diagram taken from the Building Regs. (in terms of dpm/dpc detailing) that applied to my build at that time =>

http://imgur.com/dcGjQZM

I suppose my concern is that the insurance company will say we will fix the wall, we don't have to fix this - even though we acknowledge it's against building standards. And if they get away with that, who's to say there isn't 'muck' at the bottom of that cavity (it's a full fill bonded bead cavity) which will still facilitate the transfer of moisture across, onto the lower wall...and out onto the floor. That's the concern.
Notch1 wrote:
Theres no way to know whether the inner dpc and dpm is correctly installed and Im not sure you need to check any further. The floor has insulation below the screed and damp cant easily get up through that. I think you would be best to assume the floor dampness is due to the inner wall being damp above dpc level.
Agreed - and to be honest, I was always approaching this as a lateral water penetration issue.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:40 pm 

if your house is on a flat site, and externally the dpc is around 150mm above ground level, then its usual to have the inner dpc at the same level.

Also if your external dpc runs directly under the door cills and the internal floor screed finish is around the same level as the bottom of the door cill, it likely you would see the inner dpc and dpm in the inner wall at that height, which would be around the top of the screed.

Maybe a damp surveyor would be able to suggest a detail to prevent the lateral movement of the damp, perhaps by cutting back a strip of screed from the edge and applying damp treatment to the wall to stop damp getting into the screed -the screed after all is sitting on insulation, so is its isolated from the outside wall it would stop it getting damp. Im only thinking of a pragmatic solution that isnt too expensive since your arent getting it paid through the insurance.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 4:09 pm 
Newly registered Member

Ok, I've either found the DPC or DPM => https://imgur.com/a/I5kn5

Surely regardless of which one it is, there's something wrong here?

i.e. if its the DPC - then surely it shouldn't be below floor screed/floor insulation level?

if its the DPM - then it doesn't seem to be connected to any other membrane going inwards? That seems to be the end of the membrane.

Can anyone offer an opinion on this? This is all very relevant as a settlement has not been reached with the insurance company yet (at least, there are differences that exist even if progress has been made). I need to nail down all defects before signing off on it so any input appreciated.