DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:37 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:39 am 
Newly registered Member

Hello All,
I have some patio doors in my dining room within a little 7 foot across by 3 feet outwards approx outjutting space at the far end of my dining room.
I am looking to get them removed and the area replaced by just brick. There are windows either side in the current outjutting, the regular main window either side with what are normally opening(but not in this case) smaller rectangular top small windows.
I am wondering how much it may cost? Please I am not after specific quotes or estimates, I am just hoping someone with maybe past experience as a customer or someone who knows someone in the industry(for questions), might be able to give me an approximation-please £150-£1000 is totally useless to me but I have no idea so would like to go in better prepared(eg less than 250, less than 500,less than 1000?). I have no idea if it's normally I pay for the bricks to fill the space or they buy and bring them, please assume (if you are willing to advise, no comebacks, pretend and advise just as if it was you), sorry please assume worse case scenario.
I am hoping someone may post what's happened with regards to them because I am a little concerned it's a bit too on quotes.. I just don't fancy getting ripped off so was wondering what the going rate may be. I recently on a separate issue looked into costs of new front doors, admittedly not the same ones but the difference in prices was astronomical so thought I better find out how much getting this done may cost. Totally bricks, no windows, no patio doors so just brick sidewalls, to look professional not a bodge it so I am reckoning it wouldn't be as simple as filling the holes with bricks. I however, current thinking would like to keep it as an outjutting to present size but 3 brick walls (a just incase for the future, myself or a future owner, and yes, would show work has been carried out because of it being there.)
Thanks forum members, and looking forward to hopefully some basic advice and maybe what I should watch out for or consider (in addition.)
C

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:49 pm 

considering all the trouble you took writing your long post and your need to know pricing info why not take a bit more trouble andpost photos of inside and outside the patio doors?

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:09 am 

And though I cannot give advice on this, I am confused as to whether you want to also brick up the side windows?
Guessing the Guys would need to know if there is a floor above or heavy roof and if there are lintels above doors and windows?

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:42 am 
Newly registered Member

There's 2x photos. Sorry I do not know if they will show. That is the reason I did not attempt to post any. Was also thinking circumstances but as you have (kindly) asked.

Assume work to approximate on and prepare me for is to replace by 3x brick walls in the same position(ie no windows, no easy access and most secure).
You can, I hope, get the rest of information that would likely be needed in those 2 pics I hope for a rough approximation of the area likely quotes will be. It's just I have no idea and am worried about getting ripped OFF.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:45 am 
Newly registered Member

https://ibb.co/k4gVT8
https://ibb.co/kR461T post edited to make the links "live" Mod 2.

(there is no floor above the outjutting)

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:37 am 
Newly registered Member

I am looking for a basic idea so I do not feel ripped off and go in prepared not an actual quote here. It will allow me to weigh up options so I could compare with the price I have got for just protecting the windows and then getting a price on removing the patio doors and frame and just bricking in (but again similarly to spec I have put to you so it does not look like a bodge job if it is possible) that space where the frame was. Contacting this forum however is asking for an approximation on how much it may cost for turning that whole area into just 3 walls (NO POSSIBLE ACCESS POINTS JUST BRICK WALLING) and space's roof, eg less than £250, less than £500, less than £1000. I know more than likely you are not the builders and hired out handymen but you still have considerably more experience than me in this field so your approximate costing opinion would be of benefit.