Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:07 pm

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Regular bulbs
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:19 am 
Newly registered Member

Does anyone know if it is still possible to buy regular (non LED) bulbs? We have various lamps in the house which take either old fashioned regular bsyonet or E14 SES bulb fittings. The only bulbs I seem to be able to find are very expensive LED, "warm glow" or fancy coloured ones, the majority of which are also marked as "non-dimmable" (not much use as some lamps are touch lamps). I just want cheap regular bulbs. Tried Wilkinson, B&Q, Screwfix, Poundland, B&M, Quality Save. Any ideas? Thanks

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Delicious
 Post subject: Re: Regular bulbs
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:44 am 

ebay.

But you can get "light bulbs" with halogen lamps in them, they are dimmable. (But that said, if you dim a halogen it doesn't last as long as it should)

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link to find out more.

Working on anything electrical? have you got a multi meter? why not? Would you hit a nail with a shoe?

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:25 am 

I was looking for the same found some at lighting direct ,they are expensive so we didn’t bother
[url][https://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/gls-100w-bc-pearl-light-bulbs/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw19DlBRCSARIsAOnfReiObUbnV-IB8niyy__wgXHNytFjQUuNC_tB72ghywP8XgnAWSPamcAaAquyEALw_wcB/url]

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/#/ple ... 4529684719

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:26 am 

Cara wrote:
. I just want cheap regular bulbs. Tried Wilkinson, B&Q, Screwfix, Poundland, B&M, Quality Save. Any ideas? Thanks

Try the internet, including eBay - Rough service light bulbs.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?source= ... tTPG1g1OXE

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:44 pm 

I have loads if you live near North Wales, will be likely putting them in the bin. The quartz bulb is OK in a ceiling fitting but not in a standard lamp or table lamp, the problem is if they get knocked over it can smash the outer glass without the tungsten filament failing so you have quartz at 250°C which can touch the shade setting it on fire. See this report The report shows what can happen if a quartz bulb is fitted to a standard lamp.

I do agree with touch control lamps they don't work with LED bulbs, as even if they do dim the colour does not change. However mine use SES bulbs and I only have a stock of BA22d. I have robbed my Christmas lights and put LED lamps in those instead.

For this message the author ericmark has received gratitude : Cara
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:38 am 
Newly registered Member

Thank you for the replies. Not needed to buy bulbs for years as we always had a stock and regular ones were topped up by the free energy saving ones that the energy companies used to give out (still have loads of those). I had no idea that ordinary bulbs had been banned just because they use more electricity than the newer ones.

However, I still need to find an SES fitting bulb for my touch lamp (and a couple more for other lamps). I looked at a few eBay sites but either the SES bulbs were out of stock (quite a few different sellers - bit weird) or they would only sell large packs (minimum 36 bulbs it appears) or there were a couple where I could order from China and receive them in 2 months' time! IKEA sell reasonably priced ones but all LED and no mention of dimming so I assume that they won't work where dimming is required. Everywhere else seems to be stupid money for a single bulb.

I am also a bit confused about ratings. According to various sites after a Google search, to get the equivalent of 40W, you need anything between 300-600 lumens (why the huge variation?). Most of the cheaper bulbs are only 200 lumens (is it even bright enough to be worth using?).

::b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:42 pm 

I bought an LED lamp pack from Toolstation and they were only about £7 for six. Have a look at these https://www.toolstation.com/lighting/li ... s/led/c703? You will see some are dimmable. They show the light equivalent for example 6w = 40w light. They save a lot of power.

DWD

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:13 pm 
Pro Carpenter

as an aside

assuming you pay around 13p per kwh [a unit]
and a bulb is burning for an average 10 hrs a day
for every 1w used it costs you 50p over the year
so iff you replace a 60w bulb with a 7w bulb you save 53x50p or £26.50 per year on one bulb
off course your units may cost more or less and your average may be far less than 10 hrs a day but have kept it simple to make the calculations easily scaleable up or down

For this message the author big-all has received gratitude : OnlyMe
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:22 pm 

big-all wrote:
as an aside

so iff you replace a 60w bulb with a 7w bulb you save 53x50p or £26.50 per year on one bulb
off course your units may cost more or less and your average may be far less than 10 hrs a day but have kept it simple to make the calculations easily scaleable up or down

Sounds good but in real terms not correct, every watt of power used will in the end turn into heat, the big question is will it become heat inside or outside your home, and do you want the heat?

So in Winter when lights are used most, no energy is wasted (as long as curtains are closed so energy can't get through windows) as we want the heat, and with tungsten bulbs the inferred heat is less likely to escape the room than air temperature so it is likely less not more energy used in winter using tungsten lamps. As to cost depends on fuel used to heat with, but tungsten bulbs in Winter save energy.

Summer we don't want the heat from bulbs, so yes the waste energy, however we use the lights less, so hard to calculate.

So of the 200W total I used to light my living room with tungsten against the 50W used today 150W was actually saving energy (not cost) in winter as thermostat set to 19 deg C not 21 deg C used today, so summer the lights are on around 3 hours average per day for 5 months of the year when heat not wanted. So around 450 hours at 150W = 68 kWh at around 15p = around £10 worth of power saved by using energy saving LED if the house is electric heated.

Actually because heating can be set lower in winter likely less than £10 saved, of course if using gas for heating then not quite the same, one would need to use gas lights to compare which in spite of using far more power, because the power is cheaper and you want the heat, will likely work out cheaper.

So return to gas lights in winter and have LED lights for summer. However it is not the energy saving which is the reason to move to LED but the maintenance, cross my fingers, not changed a single LED bulb, have changed a LED tube, but not at 230 volt LED bulb, but remember in the caravan how many times I changed the gas lamp mantel, and with tungsten how many times I changed a bulb, yes annoying to have to change fittings simply because can't get bulbs, would have preferred not to be forced. However when I look at the stock of tungsten bulbs I have which will likely now go to land fill even when never been used, I realise the waste caused by the threat that they would be withdrawn from sale.

So of that £10 saved I have spent 10 x £3 for bulbs instead of 10 x £0.20 so over the year cost over £20 to move to LED, OK each year the cost will fall, but for a touch controlled table lamp likely used 3 hours a week clearly saving is far less.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:26 pm 

Thing is with LEDs is whether dimmable or not, is your dimmer switch compatible. :dunno: Most dimmers have a minimum wattage that they can dim "down" to

Buy the pack of 36 from China, sell 24 to your friends/family at a 50 % mark up and you'll make a small profit...

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:37 pm 

wine~o wrote:
Thing is with LEDs is whether dimmable or not, is your dimmer switch compatible. :dunno: Most dimmers have a minimum wattage that they can dim "down" to

OP didn't mention a dimmer switch as such, they wanted dimmable bulbs for touch lamps, these usually have three settings (low/medium/high/off) with each touch and LEDs don't work in them.

Similarly, it is now harder to find touch table lamps - probably because you can no longer find the bulbs....ho hum.....

For this message the author arco_iris has received gratitude : wine~o
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:39 pm 

arco_iris wrote:
wine~o wrote:

OP didn't mention a dimmer switch as such, they wanted dimmable bulbs for touch lamps, these usually have three settings (low/medium/high/off) with each touch and LEDs don't work in them.

Similarly, it is now harder to find touch table lamps - probably because you can no longer find the bulbs....ho hum.....

:salute: Far more eloquently put than my p155 p00r attempt.

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

For this message the author wine~o has received gratitude : arco_iris
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:12 pm 

I've been using LED corn bulbs that I order from China and wait for them to arrive, but I don't have any B22's here to test in my touch lamps, only E27's in outside lamp posts. (I use the B22 fitting in UK lamps that I took to Spain).

I have just tried (i) an LED filament style bulb, it works at the three intensities but flickers on low and medium, fine on high; (ii) a Phillips MASTERLed bulb (GLS pattern, with the acrylic cone in it) and it came on the same intensity on each setting, flickering on high.

So OP could use an LED filament bulb in a touch lamp but it will no longer have the three settings, only on/on/on/off, and may possibly flicker.....

Note to self, buy some gls golf balls for my touch lamps at the car boot sale on Sunday, if any there, otherwise my touch lamps will be u/s when the current bulbs blow - they're getting on for ten years old/original bulbs, now. Like ericmark I've got quite a few old fashioned bulbs in stock but I'm not parting with them!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:16 pm 
Pro Carpenter

ericmark wrote:
big-all wrote:
as an aside

Sounds good but in real terms not correct, every watt of power used will in the end turn into heat, the big question is will it become heat inside or outside your home, and do you want the heat?

So in Winter when lights are used most, no energy is wasted (as long as curtains are closed so energy can't get through windows) as we want the heat, and with tungsten bulbs the inferred heat is less likely to escape the room than air temperature so it is likely less not more energy used in winter using tungsten lamps. As to cost depends on fuel used to heat with, but tungsten bulbs in Winter save energy.

Summer we don't want the heat from bulbs, so yes the waste energy, however we use the lights less, so hard to calculate.

So of the 200W total I used to light my living room with tungsten against the 50W used today 150W was actually saving energy (not cost) in winter as thermostat set to 19 deg C not 21 deg C used today, so summer the lights are on around 3 hours average per day for 5 months of the year when heat not wanted. So around 450 hours at 150W = 68 kWh at around 15p = around £10 worth of power saved by using energy saving LED if the house is electric heated.

Actually because heating can be set lower in winter likely less than £10 saved, of course if using gas for heating then not quite the same, one would need to use gas lights to compare which in spite of using far more power, because the power is cheaper and you want the heat, will likely work out cheaper.

So return to gas lights in winter and have LED lights for summer. However it is not the energy saving which is the reason to move to LED but the maintenance, cross my fingers, not changed a single LED bulb, have changed a LED tube, but not at 230 volt LED bulb, but remember in the caravan how many times I changed the gas lamp mantel, and with tungsten how many times I changed a bulb, yes annoying to have to change fittings simply because can't get bulbs, would have preferred not to be forced. However when I look at the stock of tungsten bulbs I have which will likely now go to land fill even when never been used, I realise the waste caused by the threat that they would be withdrawn from sale.

So of that £10 saved I have spent 10 x £3 for bulbs instead of 10 x £0.20 so over the year cost over £20 to move to LED, OK each year the cost will fall, but for a touch controlled table lamp likely used 3 hours a week clearly saving is far less.

not wishing to go over old ground again as your veiws are as valid as mines :lol: :thumbright:
putting aside the energy [useful heat generated ]by the bulbs being useful heat
withough getting quite anal in detail perhaps 1/3 the time the heat generated is fully useful perhaps 1/3 off the time it is neutral as in no gain or additional cost to cool the excessive heat
and perhaps 1/3 where the heat needs extra energy to dissipate the excessive heat so over the year the extra energy used will possibly be fairly neutral

also because most heating will be via gas at about 1/3 the kw [3 or 4p a unit]costs off electric so at least 60% possibly 80% off electricity costs saved will be in the bank :thumbleft:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:54 pm 
Newly registered Member

ericmark wrote:
I have loads if you live near North Wales, will be likely putting them in the bin. The quartz bulb is OK in a ceiling fitting but not in a standard lamp or table lamp, the problem is if they get knocked over it can smash the outer glass without the tungsten filament failing so you have quartz at 250°C which can touch the shade setting it on fire.

Apologies @ericmark for not replying sooner to your very kind offer. We are in North Manchester so whilst not too far away, probably a little far to call round to pick up light bulbs :-)

Are the "quartz bulbs" you mention the same as the "rough service bulbs"?