DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:08 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:58 am 
Newly registered Member

I know that LED's only work in one direction and therefore AC bulbs tend to be prone to strobing. I'm particularly sensitive to this. If I put one in a table lamp without the shade and wave it around you can literally see the on off flashing. I have tested this out with a number of bulbs (albeit inexpensive LEDs) and they all have the same effect.

I want to fit 12 x 5W LED's into a chandelier designed for E14 bulbs, and wondered if there was a way (perhaps with the use of a capacitor, or other electrical device) to smooth out the flashes to an acceptable level. I know that some of these bulbs have capacitors built into them, but I presume they go into the low voltage side of a step down transformer. Any electrical experts please do advise.

Many thanks, Jon.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:46 pm 
Pro Carpenter

heeelllooo and welcome JonnyBall :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:
the only time i have ever noticed flicker is when theres a dimmer in the circuit
leds are dc as far as i know :dunno:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:24 pm 

It really depends on how the lamps are constructed and more precisely the value of the components in the light. Often cheap lights just have a basic capacitive dropper to run them. (No transformer or smoothing capacitor at all) By doing this the costs are kept down. All I can suggest is you try several brands of lamp until you find one you are happy with, I really do wish it was easy as saying "yes add this value capacitor, this choke and oh, a diode here and away you go", but its all down to what is in the actual lamp.

==================================================================================

As an aside LED's do run on DC, but they will also run on AC, if you use a high enough value resistor you can connect a single LED across the mains, but yes it will flash at 50hz. its not to be recommended though.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here