DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:50 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:20 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi. My daughter has recently purchased her first house. A small terraced 2 up 2 down. Under the stairs, downstairs is an antiquated macerating toilet that definitely needed to come out. I have read a lot about the downsides of having one of these in your house, but that is not an option. So moving forward I have removed the old one leaving the existing pipework and bought a new one not realising that the huge majority of those produced today have a 32mm pipe system instead of the 25mm system in place now. The walls on this house are mega thick and if at all possible, as I don't have the kit to do it, I would prefer not to pay somebody to drill a bigger hole.
If I have to, I have to. But has anybody out there ever reduced the outlet on a newer model to suit a smaller bore without having any of the obvious pitfalls. Not recommended by the manufacturer, and not possible are often two completely different things. A manufacturer will often err on the side of caution.
If it is an unknown quantity I won't do it. But if it has been done before I would prefer to give it a go. Thanks in advance

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:50 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi, before anybody wastes any time answering this question, I got it sorted thanks. I tried to delete the question but was unable to do it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:40 pm 

Can you say how you sorted it? Might help someone else later. :thumbright:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:29 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi Dave54. I looked at the tutorial on here for hole cutting and decided that I could probably do that if I had the kit. So rather than paying somebody else to do it, with the money saved I will buy the kit and when the job is done we have a hole cutter for future projects.

For this message the author Fylde has received gratitude : Dave54
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:38 pm 

I was going to post that I'd bite the bullet and make the hole bigger. I'm not a plumber, but I know those macerator units are prone to giving trouble with blockages. When you think that a 32mm pipe is more than half again the cross sectional area of a 25mm, I reckon you'd be looking at "sooner rather than later" for a blockage.
Depends what how the wall is constructed, but I've drilled holes for wastes and cables through any number of thick cottage walls, and it's rarely as bad as you first think. Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:52 am 
Newly registered Member

My first gratitude! I appreciate it. Dave54. Yep, I'm with you on that. Seems like 99% of complaints re these units relate to that exact issue. So for my future sanity it was a no brainer. And having seen the job done now, it's not as scary. Aaaand I get to keep the shiny new hole saw kit when I'm done. My daughter says that I am in danger of becoming a "tool tart"

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:57 pm 

I trust your daughter knows the 3 'p' rule for macerators.
Pee,poo and paper ONLY!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:02 am 
Newly registered Member

Nigel 206. Good one. I shall definitely be sharing that one with her. I do not want to be going to her house to sort out the after effect of anything else.