DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:08 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:55 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hello,

I've been a big fan of Acrylic paint and am currently using Dulux trade Diamond eggshell.
However, whatever I do I still get cracking along the joints between the MDF skirting and caulk, I've tried all types of caulk and different undercoats but still get a little cracking.
So I'm giving up and going back to a solvent paint, not having used it for many years I'm not sure what to get, however the Dulux trade satinwood gets good reviews, unless anyone thinks differently this is what I'm going to try.

What does anyone think ?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:20 pm 

I would use this one ... I have used it in the past and will probably do so again. There again I am in the Crown camp, a fan boy :LoL:

PS. I am a DIYer and I am not interested in experimenting with different brands of paint.

For this message the author OchAye has received gratitude : trogg
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:59 pm 
Newly registered Member

thanks, I have used Crown trade gloss which was recommended on these forums when I wanted to paint some old external sills, it did the trick :) however I couldn't find anyone local that does the satin version .... might have to look at bit harder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:22 pm 

This is one option https://www.crowndecoratingcentres.co.uk/stores [but it has never been that correct], the alternative is independent paint merchants. Forget the chain DIY shops (B&Q and Homebase and similar).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:37 pm 
Newly registered Member

actually, I've just found a 'Brewers' about 4 miles away that does it, never bothered with them before because they don't put prices on their website, I'll pop over and see what else they've got :)

For this message the author trogg has received gratitude : OchAye
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:06 am 
Newly registered Member

Be prepared to have a large limit credit card with you then for Brewers.
Stick with the water based and try Benjamin Moore. https://www.benjaminmoorepaint.co.uk/
Don't be put off by the prices as the paint just goes on and on the coverage you get from a tin is incredible.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:55 pm 

I am a big fan of Dulux solvent-based Trade Satinwood. Dulux, along with many other manufacturers, got a lot of bad press a few years ago, and rightly so, about their solvent paint yellowing. They have made huge improvements since then. Nearly eight months ago I painted one of my own skirting boards in three sections, two with different water-based satins and one with the DT Satinwood. The skirting is in a room with almost zero natural daylight and is under a table so it is very dark. I had another look at the skirting just now after seeing your questions and there is no visible difference between the two water-based sections and the solvent-based section. I know most decorators rave about water-based satin and consider me to be something of a Luddite for not switching to it, but most of those decorators gave up on solvent-based when we had all the problems back in 2010+ but haven't tried the latest versions of them to see for themselves just how much it has improved.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:15 pm 

Tom, you have missed the important bit, also mentioned by other decorators here who switched. The change to water based had to do as much with health as much as the environment. Because the post 2010 paints have less things in them makes them legal it does not make them healthy (for you, again, that you breath the stuff every day). I am not waving a big flag about health whilst I am having a fag, I am just sayin...

Since I had to bin my water based satura (had them too long, in the loft at minus temperatures, and never got round to using them) I will probably use an oil based satin next time. But in my case as a DIYer I have a much higher chance of being screwed by smoking, diesel fumes 'n all sorts of other sh1t than using solvent based paints. What about you, how much is your life worth?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:38 am 
Elephant Man

Just used a Crown (dark coloured) oil eggshell on some louvered doors and they've taken 36+ hours to dry. The white acrylic facings and skirtings dried to re-coat in a couple of hours.

These extended drying times of post-2010 oil paints is simply a joke. :cussing:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:15 am 

Be good to yourself Tom and it's better for the planet.

The lingering toxins aren't good mate.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:51 am 

I am dubious about the "healthier" and "better for the planet" claims regarding switching to water-based from oil-based.

If the room is well-ventilated then I can't see how we are likely to be adversely affected from a short exposure to some paint fumes any more than we would be taking a short walk alongside a road. We're more likely to be affected by the dust that is exposed when a customer has moved their furniture about for the first time in ten years.

I can imagine the fumes coming off the paint that is drying in a room are not going to be as bad for the environment as a diesel-powered car running for a few minutes.

Regarding the drying issues: On Monday afternoon I painted a door, skirting, radiator, and window sill in a bedroom room using DT oil-based Satinwood. The radiator in the room was turned off and it was cold enough overnight to produce a decent frost the next morning. When I came to do the second-coat at lunchtime on Tuesday, the first coat was perfectly dry. I can only assume the Crown tinted version takes longer to dry that DT PBW and DT tinted. Out of the last 20 jobs that I have done, only 1 of them required a tinted paint on the woodwork but the only difference I noticed between the DT tinted and DT PBW was the tinted was slightly runnier to use.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:23 pm 

It all helps!!!

Diesels on its way out and oil should be too.

Do your bit Tom - it's your duty :thumbright:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:53 pm 

Quote:
Do your bit Tom - it's your duty

I do, but I am reluctant to use an inferior product just because it is supposedly damaging the environment.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:35 pm 
Newly registered Member

Ok, so I went to Brewers and picked up 2.5 litres of Crown trade satin..... And you were right Bitzz, prices were shocking, the manager Mr D Turpin was rubbing his hands when I left, I decided not to buy the Crown undercoat from them because I knew it was almost half the price from Toolstation.
However, when I got back I noticed that the undercoat from Toolstation was called Crown contract and not trade ..... What's the difference ? Apart from the price, had a look on Crown's website and it just says that 'Contract' is paint for the professional.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:01 pm 

Double check on the tin or see if toolstation has the data sheet on-line. If it dries or is recoatable in 16-24 hours it will do (i.e. it is oil based).

Thanks to you I see that Crown has now got a www.crowncontract.co.uk.

So you got Crown Trade, Macpherson, Crown Contract, Crown (retail). The contract appears to be a new brand to flog at toolstation and scroofix and yes it is for professionals but - I guess - who need to do a job at a "lowish" price and who probably do not have an account with Crown or an independent merchant to get better prices. The first two are the original expensive and cheaper trade products and the rest who knows.