DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:51 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:10 pm 

Hi,

Thanks scruff; I bet Razor is too busy playing with his new toy to do anything else? :salute:

Kind regards, Col.

SOME PEOPLE ARE SO POOR ALL THEY HAVE IS MONEY.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:19 pm 

Actually he was down the seaside looking at an intergas :lol:

For this message the author thescruff has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:43 pm 

Sorry chaps I meant to update this but things have been mad, I won't go into details here :wink:

Having the lathe delivered was epic. The farmer broke his trailer towing it and ended up doing 15 miles without getting out of second gear. The traffic queue was quite a sight but then farmers aren't usually known for being bothered about that.

I didn't have the headroom to take it safely off the trailer so I cut a hole in the garage roof, laid a length of 1 3/4" steel pipe across the joist and rigged a chain pull from it. Might've been ever so slightly Heath Robinson for over a tonne of lathe :roll:

Anyway it coped - just about then I used rollers and levers to shift it into place :mrgreen:

Now all I need to do is decide what power supply. It's a 2HP motor which apparently is a good thing as lots of lathes have been fitted with motors that are oversized?? Obviously Colin's was meant to have a honking great thing in it!!

This is everything from the motor dataplate:

Metropolitan Vickers - AC motor

TYPE K3012X NO SW 36858Z

VOLTS: 400/440
PHASE B CYC 50

HP 2 RPM 1410 A3

Sooo what do I need now because manually turning the headstock round to see the pretty gears mesh and making lathey noises is hard work :cb :cb

As always help on here is free, however if you think you have saved a decent sum of money why not click the link to find out about the charity we're currently supporting? A couple of quid makes a real difference.

donnas-dream-house-charity-t52110.html

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:58 pm 

Just put a tarp over it to protect it from the hole in the roof.

Other than that an ad in Guntree should find someone to take it off your hands.

For this message the author thescruff has received gratitude : Razor
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:08 pm 

Sadly it's worth an awful lot more to break than it cost me. I suspect that many of these beautiful old machines end up on ebay in bits :sad:

As always help on here is free, however if you think you have saved a decent sum of money why not click the link to find out about the charity we're currently supporting? A couple of quid makes a real difference.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:52 am 

Hi,

Congratulations Razor on getting the lathe home; not easy is it? I like these heavy lathes because they don't end up being chased around a workshop due to vibration. 2HP is a nice size but you need to get power into it now then you can play with it; how do you intend to power it because you've got a few options available; I assume its 3 phase 415V?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-2KW-220-250V-3HP-10A-VARIABLE-FREQUENCY-DRIVE-INVERTER-VFD-SPEED-CONTROL-CE-/252003458616?hash=item3aac939e38:g:UTEAAOSwLVZVwbcm

I've got one of these 3HP VFD's powering my Graduate which is 1.5HP; these VFD's adjust to the motor; I added remote controls for speed control; start/stop/forward/reverse. You can only use this model though if the lathe motor can be connected for low voltage Delta; if the motor is the old style 3 wire Star type then 415V will be needed. Digging the star connection out tends to destroy the windings.

You could convert the lathe to single phase changing the motor and starter. if it can be connected Delta then you could also add start/run capacitors which supply the third phase but the motor will run on reduced power which for home workshop use is usually sufficient; I ran my big Startrite combination woodworking machine wired in Delta with a start/run capacitor fitted for 16 years without problem.

Playing around with mains electricity is highly dangerous though so not too much information because novices might be put at risk of electrocution.

Good luck Razor; hopefully Bron and I will see you soon.

Kind regards, Col.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:11 pm 
Gas/Heating Expert

Have you actually done much with that big lathe Ray?

A garage over the winter is a pretty inhospitable place.

I am very happy with my little CL300 lathe. If you treat them as small they work quite well.

I also have an old capstan lathe which I must also think of selling. Its very heavy!

Tony

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:46 pm 

Some lathes and tools up for auction below just for interest
https://www.bidspotter.co.uk/en-gb/sear ... Term=lathe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:03 pm 
Gas/Heating Expert

Some big lathes there!

The first one, the Clarke, is I think the CL500 which I have and should be selling.

But mine is much cleaner and nice looking!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:35 pm 

What did use them for Tony. Were they old BBC stock or something?

I've still got plenty of room in the garage :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:43 pm 

Thought I would put a couple of pics up of me machining the pulley to fit the new motor, it was hard work to say the least!!

Attachment:
1.JPG
1.JPG [ 36.44 KiB | Viewed 274 times ]

Boring the inside out by almost 200 thou, 8 thou on each pass!!

Attachment:
2.JPG
2.JPG [ 38.75 KiB | Viewed 274 times ]

Attachment:
3.JPG
3.JPG [ 13.1 KiB | Viewed 274 times ]

No one tell Colin that I used a parting tool to recut the keyway :wink:

Attachment:
4.JPG
4.JPG [ 13.45 KiB | Viewed 274 times ]

Yes dog rough but it fits and the rough bits just add more grip, I did file out the ridge where I had to recut the keyway from both sides and as you can see I wasn't too bothered about lining it up perfectly as the key was slightly smaller :wink:

It's great fun using the beast especially as it has powered feed and cross feed I find it really relaxing to watch it chooch back and forth on it's own!

I've always wondered how many people hurt themselves with powertools because they get almost hypnotised and forget that it's heavy metal moving at speed?

Can't do much with it at the moment as I can only feed it from a very heavy duty extension lead plugged into the cooker socket almost 30m away! and the lead gets rather warm, (yes I have fully unrolled it)!!

Upgrading the garage electrics at the weekend then I might be brave enough to put a picture up of it in action!! :huray:

For this message the author Razor has received thanks - 2: AAA.Handy.Man, Retired
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:13 pm 

Hi,

Very impressive start Razor; well done. The fact that you used the parting tool to re cut the key-way shows you are on the right track by applying some thought when it comes to finding a solution; you're in for many happy hours with your lathe dreaming up any number of weird and wonderful ways to use it; don't forget that a lathe can also produce very accurate flat surfaces; I'll try to locate the YouTube video showing how to make a simply key-way cutting jig; you've possibly forgotten the one I made and showed you but its worth adding for other members too. So far so good and once you power the beast please keep your fingers and tie away otherwise it will bite hard.

I was lucky and found the YouTube video quickly so here it is and I can vouch as to it working very well indeed;

First job Razor is to slip up on a final cut where you want to remove two thou but remove four thou instead; this is usually the first mistake made on a lathe. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good luck.

Kind regards, Col.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:08 pm 
Gas/Heating Expert

I had a lovely as new CL300 stolen and in my panick bought the CL500 without properly realizing that it is far too large for my needs. Now need to sell it.

The capstan lathe I bought some time ago when I wanted to manufacture some small parts in quantities too small for the big firms and too large for the man in a garage!

I need to sell that one as well. But it has limited application although a wonderful machine.

Have now bought another CL300 which suits most of my lathe needs.

When I lived at Worcester, because houses had plenty of space there were many people I knew who had their own lathe in the garage.

Tony