DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIRECTORY | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:44 am

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:36 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi all,

I've just moved into a brand new house and had a look up in the loft to see about laying a few of the usual B&Q/Wickes tongue and groove loft flooring. It's a 3 storey house with the top bedroom built into the roof (as with many new builds), so I wasn't expecting much room.

On inspection there are loads of joists spanning the middle of the loft floor to the ceiling, which looks to limit what I'll be able to do. Even if all the floor was boarded it'd still be difficult to get around.

Anyway I was expecting the joists to stick up between the insulation so the boards could be screwed on top and sandwich the insualtion between boards. Problem is they're not. All I see is an unbroken sea of insulation.

I presume excessive sqaushing of insulation is not the way to go but how do I go about raising the joists so I can put the boards over. I've only been able to poke my head up through the hatch so far as I can't see were to stand.

If you haven't gussed, I'm new to this lark.

Thanks for any info.

You may not be able to see the full post including pictures unless you register or log in

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:16 am 

You can raise the joists by screwing (never nail in a loft as you crack the ceiling plaster underneath) joists to the existing joists.

Compressing the loft insulation should be avoided as this means that it is not as effective.