DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:16 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:02 pm 
Newly registered Member

We have a conservatory on the side of the house. It had sliding patio doors separating it from the main hose. We've taken these doors out and plan to carpet all through from the living room.

Currently the conservatory is tiled but once the tiles are up I'd estimate that the floor will be 25-30mm lower than the main house.

It was suggested to me that I put insulation boards down and then lay a chip board floor over the top. This floor would be floating to allow for expansion and contraction in the heat variations in a conservatory, but I don't see how a carpet could be reliably stretched over a floor that's going to change size.

The only other option I can come up with is laying about 25mm of concrete and then a self levelling compound over the top. The good thing about this is I may not have to get all the current tile adhesive up, which can be a tiresome job at best.

Is the concrete the best way to go about it?

Thanks in advance.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:55 pm 

errmmm no. 25 mm concrete is likely to be quite fragile. Floating floor would be better... removing the internal doors might not be a cunning plan though, in winter the amount of heat loss via the conservatory could easily drop the temperature in the adjoining room considerably.

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

For this message the author wine~o has received gratitude : multiman
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:08 pm 
Newly registered Member

Too late regarding the conservatory doors. they're currently in bits in my back garden.

If it proves to be too cold we'll be looking at getting some hanging bifold doors although we are looking at getting a solid roof on the conservatory this time next year.

Thanks for the advice regarding the floating floor.

The tiles are currently in great shape. Do you think it would be ok to just lay the chipboard floor over them rather than taking them up and insulating?

With regards to laying a chipboard floor. Would the wood have to be treated so that it doesn't rot if it gets damp. there will be no airflow underneath due to the tiles or insulation boards.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:10 pm 

If the tiles are good then lay an appropriate thickness of WBP ply over.

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:16 pm 
Newly registered Member

Excellent.

I've just looked on my local timber merchant website and this is available in just about every thickness.

Last question, promise lol. If the floor is floating, i.e. not fastened down, how do I stick the 8x4 sheets together. Or do i literally just leave them as individual sheets on the floor with a 10mm gap under the skirting, next to the walls?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:06 pm 

T&g wedi boards.

For this message the author cotswold builders has received gratitude : multiman
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:17 pm 

pemps wrote:
Excellent.

I've just looked on my local timber merchant website and this is available in just about every thickness.

Last question, promise lol. If the floor is floating, i.e. not fastened down, how do I stick the 8x4 sheets together. Or do i literally just leave them as individual sheets on the floor with a 10mm gap under the skirting, next to the walls?

Ply is far more stable (as in less expansion/contraction) as the grain of the wood used runs in different directions so no need to glue and you'll need less of an expansion gap.

Verwood Handyman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:30 am 
Newly registered Member

wine~o wrote:
Ply is far more stable (as in less expansion/contraction) as the grain of the wood used runs in different directions so no need to glue and you'll need less of an expansion gap.

Is it worth putting a 5mm layer of insulation down first to give a slightly softer base for the ply to sit on? Also as the ply expands and contracts, albeit not very much, would gaps not appear in between the sheets or would it be so minimal that it would be inconsequential?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:53 pm 

pemps wrote:
wine~o wrote:

Is it worth putting a 5mm layer of insulation down first to give a slightly softer base for the ply to sit on? Also as the ply expands and contracts, albeit not very much, would gaps not appear in between the sheets or would it be so minimal that it would be inconsequential?

By the time the carpet underlay and carpet has been fitted (gripper rods) then any movement will be inconsequential.

Verwood Handyman